Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Mini raised bed!

Who gave a size to a raised bed. Can a raised bed be a small box that you can move? For about 5 years now the styrofoam containers I lant in about 15 by 20 & 5 inches deep grew some of my plants all summer. Mostly flowersd I left in the boxes. A 5 gallon bucket can grow a nice tomato. I guess what I am trying to say is a raied bed can be just a cantainer of any size that will grow plants for 3 months or more!
+++
My styrofoam and some wood boxed I have now can be used as raised beds. Now that I start a small compost area in the bottom of the boxes I think they will lastlonger to keep plants growing and not dry out as quick! A radish shuld grow good in a a small box as well as many other things. How about the square foot raised bed or better yet the square yard raised bed! This year half my garden will be cold frames and raised beds!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Wether its a drive way or a rocky area or a old burn pile the raised bed is like covering a eye sore with pretty picture! Places you woud never thing to dig a garde will work all you need is the sun!
+++
Cut the weeds and add a wood made raised bed inclosure like a 6 foot square of 2by8s nailed together. I would not go less than 8 inches unless you dig a hole first under the frame!! Even a 4 brick high inter locked brick bed is workable! Put your carboard or leaves or anything to stop the weeds from coming up and you are ready! Make a raised bet on top or a old compost is very good!
+++
Catch a few dozen worms in the yard and put them in! Any type of strained garden soil or compost with a few inches of potting soil on top and you have a garden! Strain that garden dirt and add perlite or anything like even sand depending on your soil is a good idea! Save you kitchen scraps for a week then throw it into the new raised bed with a litrogen nitrogen fertilizer on top of the leaves and paper and cover it with 8 inches of dirt and you are on your way to opening a whole new world into your life!This was supose to be a seperate topic I hope someone can make it so! Thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”