alaskagold

Experimenting, and would like some advice.

As I have to rebuild a garden, I have always experimented with new type of crops. I am asking for some ideas on something new that I haven't tried, and maybe start a thread on how it grows up here.

Last year in my already established garden, I grew corn... and had a couple of ear. The year before I grew peppers or all kinds and had quite a few of those.

I have also grown eggplant, cukes, multiple different tom's and most cold variety vegetables. I have tried melons and it is just too cold (but if you have an idea, I wouoldn't mind trying it). I also can not get a pumpkin to grow more that a softball. I think I am starting to late on them.

I would like to try wheat, but I think the rain and chill up here would make the heads go bad.

Any other suggestion?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Have you tried Kohlrabi! It comes in purple and a off white greenish color.! Grows fast and I like it raw with salt! Also the cylindrical beets that grow above the ground and are very easy to grow!

lorax
Greener Thumb

This is going to sound odd, coming as it does from the tropics, but bear with me. I'm originally from Northern Canada.

Melons in zones 2 and below need to be started indoors in nice big pots with trellises attached, then just hauled outside when it warms up. That way they get enough time to set fruit. I used to start mine in February-March.

You can do the same thing with pumpkins, provided that you have enough trellis. When they form fruit (this works with the melons as well), just use pantyhose as a sling tied to the trellis for support.

Things that used to do wonderfully for me were beets, carrots, fast-cycle tomatoes, kohrabi, radishes, turnips, lettuce and other leafy greens, and to a lesser extent peppers. Strawberries also did rather well. I'd also be looking into hardy fruit bushes - blueberries, saskatoons, josta, gooseberries, currants, raspberries, and the like.

I also grew 'Issai' hardy kiwis in a sheltered spot in the garden - it's worth a shot if you've got a sunny wall on your house.

alaskagold

Bob the beets sound interesting. I think I will give those a try.

Lorax, I usually do start everything inside except squash, carrots, peas, brussell sprouts, kahlrobi and a few others as they are cold weather.

I just don't have the pumpkin growing down yet... everyone has their weakness.

As for melons, there has never been a documented case of any melons growing up here. I spoke with someone at agricultural for the State in which he said if I ever gorw one, I must report it to him. But since you lived in Canada... what would you try melon wise? I am open for options!

ozark_rocks

Will asparagus grow in Alaska? It takes a few years to get big enough to eat, but if you can keep the roots from dieing it comes back every year. Snow peas or English peas might be something for you to try.

There are probably many herbs you could grow by starting them inside. My parsley stayed green all winter , it might do well as a annual for you.

alaskagold

OZ, I tried one time with asparagus but it died during the summer. I may try again this summer as I have much more room. Or maybe I will put them in a large container and stick them in the garage during the winter months. Good idea! Thanks for that.

As for herbs, I never really had any problems but they are usually annuals as the ground is to cold for them to stick around. I may try a different route this time and seed them into the ground instead of a container and see how they do. Mint is one I know comes back.. I love that weed. :) Maybe I should try peppermint.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I didn't see you mention beans. Try some bush beans.
Any of the cole crops should do well. Cabbage, broccoli, turnips, kohlrabi.
No loss on the pumpkins any way. No one eats them. They are just for show.
Will summer squash make it there? Crookneck or zucchini.
Beets and chard may do well.

alaskagold

Actually when we have pumpkins for sale, I grab one or two on sale and make pumkin mix for my dog for his digestion issues. So I thought if I could grow a couple, I could can them.

Zukes do great up here. I have yet to be able to grow a summer squash as I start them inside and you know how they do not like to be transplanted.

Beans, I have yet to perfect that veggie growing. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or it mabye I am not being proactive enough and maybe should start them inside? But it is a great thought. Thanks jal!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just a side note on pumpkins: Last fall I put 5 nice pumpkins out front in the flower garden along the front sidewalk. It was just for a fall harvest decoration. They have stayed there all winter, but last night some deer came through and dug them out of the snow and ate them. Maybe I was wrong when I said, "no one eats them"? :shock:

alaskagold

HAHA! Moose love them. As do our Bears, woodland buffalo, and other large animals roaming around up here.

Youwould be surprised at what animals will eat. now that the deer know that you have pumpkins, they will be back....FYI!

As for getting rid of deer (and moose)"organic" wise... if you have any used CD's or DVD that are really scratched. Put them in the microwave for NO MORE than 3 seconds (to get all the data fried off) and hang them around your garden. They don't care for the bright light and scare if they see themselves in a reflection.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I'll put the link up again. I don't know where it was now.

[url=https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/GARDEN.pdf]Link[/url]

ozark_rocks

alaskagold wrote: Mint is one I know comes back.. I love that weed. :) Maybe I should try peppermint.
Then I recommend chocolate mint. It tastes like chocolate and mint. I love to put it in coffee

Odd Duck

I second the chocolate mint! Delicious as tea, in hot chocolate and whatever else you can come up with. I've been scheming to use it in chocolate chip mint ice cream if I could come up with an ice cream churn.

alaskagold

awesome idea. Okay, where does one find the good quality seeds?

lorax
Greener Thumb

AKGold, the melons I used to grow were called 'Northern Star'; they were a small, sweet canteloupe-type. I got my seeds from McFayden, but it now appears that they don't sell the variety any more. Nowadays, I'd be looking for what are commonly termed "early melons" - the earlier the better.

[url=https://www.johnnyseeds.com/search.aspx?searchterm=melon&pagesize=15&vectorids=12&list=1]Johnny's has a nice selection.[/url]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”