gardenmom1983
Newly Registered

Planning my garden

Ok, so I am a first time gardener and I am planning the layout of my garden. I am building 4 raised beds that are 24x3. I noticed on the cucumber package it says to plant them 4 ft apart. Does that mean that you cannot plant anything within 4 feet? Can I plant something in between them or do they have to be all by themselves? If so what can I plant with them? Peppers? Tomatoes?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Cucumbers are heavy feeding sprawling plants. I plant two per 3 X4 foot section of raised bed. One such section contains a day lily or two and they co-exist quite nicely. To maximize the space however, I generally would plant an early season crop like sweet peas, arugula, lettuce, spinach. By the time you plant the cucumbers, the early crops will be nearing the end of production. I just nestle the cucumber starts or seeds if direct seeded, in between the early crop plants. When the cucumbers get enough size to start crowding the bed, the early crop will be finished.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I plant a single row of cukes spacing the seed 6 inches apart. This works very well, but be advised the vines get 4 feet long or more. They will completely cover your 3 feet wide bed and your walkways too. If you devote half of one of those beds to cukes, you will get loads of cukes. Maybe you don't need that many? OK plant a third of a bed in cukes. One row up the center and put your seed 6 inches apart. You could plant, earlier in the season, some radishes. lettuce, or spinach along each side of where the cukes will go to get more use out of the bed. Don't plant cukes until danger of frost is past.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/cukes.jpg[/img]

A single row of cukes 47 feet long produced these cukes. That is just one picking. You can see how the vines spread?

gardenmom1983
Newly Registered

Thanks for all of the advice. We are hoping to make pickles from the cucumbers. So if there are a lot it is just more to can.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

nice harvest jal! Oh what I wouldn't give for just one full acre to devote solely to gardening.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”