John K
Newly Registered

Newb questions.

I'm a total newby at gardening! This is the first time I've planed anything. I am very much looking forward to having some yummy home grown foods though! I have a few basic questions.

I have read that you should plant several seeds in each hole to increase likelyhood of germination. I planted eight cucomber plants 3-4 weeks ago. Well, all eight of them started growing, so I have two little plants in each of the spots I planted them. At this point should I trim the smaller of the two at each spot, or just leave them? I read I should trim the "runt", but my fiance insists that we leave all eight lol.

We also planted pumpkin, and watermellon. Only three pumpkin plants germinated though, and 4-5 watermellon. When they start to produce fruit, what is the best thing to put under the fruit for support to prevent it from rotting or getting dirt spots? Also Should we be adding fertilizer to the dirt, or is that something we should have done before we planted?

I am sure I will have more questions sooner or later, in the mean time, thank you all in advance for any help, it is most appreciated!

John K

p.s. I have terrible spalling, and couldnt find a spell checker (at work) so sorry in advance for that lol.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Well I know you will get others that may not agree with me ( I am not that good at this either), but I found my first year that I had a hard time when I planted alot of seeds to end up with just a few good plants in the end. So I always kept all of mine growing or moved some. Yes I move squash plants, watermelon, everything. I replanted some in pots or other areas. they all did fine being moved, it was the bugs or heat that got to them eventually. So I keep them all, some will die anyhow and if you have 8 and cut out 4 then you have even less. - Trust me not everyone will agree with that. I used plastic containers (recycle) like butter containers, coffee cans etc to put under watermelons and such. I grew my cucumbers upward because of lack of room and had to watch closely for worms, I usually when a cucmber appeared wrapped aluminum foil around stem going downward to keep worm from getting to fruit. I have added fertilizer after they get going - not sure what your soil is like. I have raised beds and pots and now have a year old compost pile, so it all depends on what you start with, but I got some good organic slow release Garden fertilizer at ACE, Gardentone - I have been happy with that and a fish one - Maxicrop. I know one thing, I already have everything going because it gets so hot too soon in Florida and that is when the bugs come. Wish you the best and you will love this forum.

John K
Newly Registered

Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I might try to move a few. I actually made a mistake though. We planted in eight spots so we have 16 plants...seems like more than we need.

I'm in cocoa so we are practically neighbors :)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I won't argue about keeping them all. Most people here would understand the hesitation to get rid of perfectly good seedlings. I'm horrible about it myself. But moving them would be a good idea.

As for putting things under your watermelons, you really don't need to unless you have really soggy soil. The fruit is growing when it's attached to the plant, it's alive. You're thinking more along the lines of a watermelon from the store. Those are already cut from the plant and begin breaking down as soon as they are separate. I have never had a melon, pumpkin or anything else start rotting from being on the ground. Now, it may be a bit lighter because it doesn't get the sun on the bottom. But unless you're entering it in a show, it doesn't matter. It will taste just as good as the flip side.

However if you really feel like you want to, I have heard good things about putting half a roofing shingle under each plant. Never tried it though.

Fertilizer, hopefully you're thinking organic and not chemical. But either way, plants (and fruits) benefit from regular applications throughout the growing season. Different amounts and timing for different plants. Check the instructions on what you buy.

Here's a tip on those melons and pumpkins. As the vines grow, there will be leaf "nodes" every so often on the vines. If you mound a little soil around those nodes, they will sprout roots, giving the vines and fruits extra sources of nutrients. Pumpkin vines can get 30ft long! That's a long way for water and nutrients to travel to get to a fruit at the end of the vine!....it helps. ;)

Best of luck on your garden and welcome to the forum!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you leave 8 plants growing from one spot, none of them will do well, they will compete with each other too much. Either transplant them or just sacrifice the extra. Two from one spot is ok, because they can grow in different directions. Good suggestion about helping them root farther along the vine.

I don't have room to grow watermelon. If I did, I would just put a piece of cardboard under the melon for protection.

John K
Newly Registered

Thank you all for the advice! I think I am going to try and till some more land this weekend and build a couple more mounds to relocate some of the cucumbers. Is there a good way to seperate two plants that are litterally growing RIGHT next to each other? I read that the roots are very fragile at this early stage, and should be laft alone :?

Also, when I try to mound up soil around the nodes of the watermelons and pumpkins, should I till that little spot, or just slap some dirt over it? Right now they are in a 10x10 foot patch that I tilled and mounded the dirt. So there is still grass and weeds all around my small little garden lol.

John K

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would just grow those cukes where they are. Two plants in each spot will do well.

starwood

Cucumbers and melons do not like to have their roots disturbed at all. I would avoid moving them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”