ozark_rocks

Humidity: How much is to much?

Hi all, this is my first year with a greenhouse and was wondering what the idea humidity should be? My thermometer also keeps track of the humidity, and some days it seems very high.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My garden grows in 90+ humidity just about every day during the summer here in New Orleans with no ill effects with the exception of me. :P

I just came back from a local nursery to pick up some things for my garden and explored their greenhouse. You could cut the air in there and it was much more humid than our summer levels.

ozark_rocks

Thank you , gumbo, that eases my mind a little. I bet you do get some humidity in New Orleans, it gets pretty bad here too in July. Being a newbie, I am worried about disease and fungus.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Gets pretty brutal here too, but the garden did just fine. Some tomato plants dropped some blossoms though.

applestar
Mod

I don't have a greenhouse and somebody else who does hopefully will share their experience/expertise, but my perception is that adequate air flow/movement is the key. I suppose fan AND ventilation.

ozark_rocks

Applestar, I think you are right. The days when the humidity runs highest, are the cloudy days. These are the days that the temperature stays low, so I don't open the door or vent. Today has been nice and sunny , so I opened everything up to keep it from getting too hot. Todays humidity 23%.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”