gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Where do you get potatoes from online.

I'm going to get some spuds ordered in this year. Just wondering where you got yours from and what varieties did you like while we are at it.

applestar
Mod

I ordered from Maine Potato Lady, same as last year (Cynthia_h's recommendation last year). But I've gotten them before from Johnny's and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange with good results (they were both "shipped directly" from growers in Maine ... But not MPL).

I'm trying German Butterball, which they had run out of by the time I ordered last year, Red Pontiac because jal_ut grows them ( and is a long season-- good for potato towers, and a long keeper -- hopefully enable keeping some seed potatoes through winter), and one other red with white flesh that I can't remember the name of except it starts with 's'. Also expecting to try some TPS varieties (a gift :()). 8)

applestar
Mod

Oh! Wanted to add -- MPL has a couple of very intriguing soil inoculants in the catalog. I seriously thought about getting one or both, but I'm on a budget this year. I DID get their organic Mustard meal, which is on my Dad's list of organic fertilizers for his Japanese Wild Potatoes he got from a Japanese farmer.

... and that last potato variety is Sangre. :wink:
Last edited by applestar on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Gix,

I've ordered from https://www.potatogarden.com/index.html
and
https://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/index.php?cPath=30&osCsid=91f45b61700b70f2ce71db65d3dd1c39

They both have good garlic also.

I probably like Yukon Gold the best and Rose Finn Apple is really good also.

I grew Red Lasoda last year :( I will probably go back to Red Pontiac.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I buy my potatoes from the local grocery store 1/3 the price of seed potatoes. Red potatoes and sweet potatoes will grow here.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I've ordered from the Maine Potato Lady and from Johnny's both. Lately, I've gotten so far behind on cooking spuds that I've had several "kitchen volunteers," if you know what I mean. :wink: So we've cut them up and planted them over this winter. For *real* spuds, though, I'm prob. too late to order from these vendors and may just see what my local fave nursery has in stock next month.

Potatoes in by St. Patrick's Day...at least where it's feasible.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I buy my potatoes from the local grocery store 1/3 the price of seed potatoes. Red potatoes and sweet potatoes will grow here.
or carryover your own seed. I've been plant my own Yukon Gold and Rose Finn Apple for several years now.

Red Lasoda, a southern variety, didn't do well. I will be purchasing Red Pontiac locally if possible.

I also plant on St Patrick's day and again, this year, in June.

Eric

applestar
Mod

I can't plant until last days of March or first week of April -- longer time to keep the seed potatoes (AND inadequate storage facilities) but I'll figure something out eventually.

Some of my Blues (Adirondack or All Blue) from last year are sprouting in the pantry. Don't know what to do with those. I *may* stick them in a bucket of compost/mulch mixture and put them somewhere for now.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the ideas, I ordered some onions yesterday.

Apple If you remember I did potatoes in 10 gallon buckets last year and they did good.

applestar
Mod

Thanks gixx... I may have to hunt up a 10 gal container! 8)

I wish I felt confident about plastic storage tubs. I know people use them for planting, but I'm unsure about plasticizers leaching out. I do have a 1/2 beverage barrel (22.5 gal?) behind the shed not doing anything, but I'm not sure if I can get to it right now. Now that I thought of it though, that might make a great container for a banana tree I plan to grow this spring. I should see if I could get more from somewhere.... 8)

soil
Greener Thumb

nice link doubledog

the potatofarm one. I had all the seed potatoes I thought I wanted saved from last years crop but I ended up getting some of the purple viking they have as ive heard good things. they sure are beautiful too.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Okay I went with The Maine Potato Lady. The over all price was a a few dollars more. Though the price per potato was a little bit smaller the shipping was a bit more. Than again they give you a lb. to 1/2 lb. more than other guys at the small quantity level. The shipping is what raised the price 3$ more than next lowest supplier who was offering 2 lbs. The other supplier only offered 1 lb for more than TMPL.

I hope that makes sense. :lol: I ordered German Butterball and Yellow Finn. Thanks all for your advice.

On a side note the heavy thunderstorms we were supposed to have today has turned into a crazy snow storm. Go figure. :x

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Soil,

Did you look at this one? https://www.potatogarden.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PG&Product_Code=77PPV&Category_Code=

I'm may try it just for the novelty. :D

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

I did see those but look at these beautiful potatoes. farmers market gold right there imo.

https://www.potatogarden.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PG&Product_Code=77PVK&Category_Code=NSPEarly

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ok ok :lol:

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”