greenstubbs

I'm Happy Happy Happy!

For the few times that I've tried to grow some winter crops and never having much luck. This year has been pretty good. Got 2 meals worth of broccoli, B. sprouts were tasty but small and not alot. They got bugged by something. BUT, I just harvested a 3 1/2 lb Califlower, it's as tall and as wide as a beer bottle. I have 4 more waiting in the wings. I ate a small chunck and boy does it ever have that Home Grown flavor. Can't wait for dinner! :clap: :-() :clap: :-()

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Feels good, doesn't it? Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Regards,
D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

You've got more self-discipline than I would've...I think "dinner" would've been mid-afternoon, and we would've made do with "supper" tonight!

Sounds terrific; well done and I hope for more success for you. :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

There's nothing like heading out into the yard and plucking something off a plant you nurtured from a seed that is sometimes so small you wonder how a plant will come of it. It only gets better when you eat what you've grown with your own hands and sweat of your brow. Nothing compares to that satisfaction in the world of food.

I had a great year with my winter garden and my brussel sprouts were some of the best I've ever grown. Plentiful, large and so sweet. My wife even ate many more than I've ever seen her eat. Too bad I didn't plant more, but I will next fall.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

COngrats I just trahsed some borccoli I had growing indoors to make rook for other plants. I neve had that great of luck with broccoli.

Kudos for keeping at it.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Congrats! I've yet to succesfully harvest broccoli OR cauliflower! Always planted too late. But I'm giving it another go this year.

I consider your accomplishment quite a triumph! 8)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice going! Enjoy.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

GardenRN wrote:Congrats! I've yet to succesfully harvest broccoli OR cauliflower! Always planted too late. But I'm giving it another go this year.

I consider your accomplishment quite a triumph! 8)
Definitely have to start them early, especially since you are farther south. I don't grow cauliflower, but eat broccoli from my garden every year. I plant the seeds indoors in January and put the plants in the garden early to mid March. (I have nice broccoli plants under the lights now, which I am about to start hardening off.) I plant them in the same bed where the tomatoes will go. By the time the tomatoes are getting big and it would get crowded, the broccoli is done and I pull it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”