keskat

Raised Bed + Three Sisters?

So, instead of my usual in-the-ground smorgasbord for the critters, this year I'm using raised beds. BUT, I also want to incorporate the 3 sisters method of planting.

So, my question is this: in a 'row' of my beds (a 1.5 or 2 x 6 ft section), will there be room enough for this planting pattern:

S BC S BC S BC S BC S BC S BC
BC S BC S BC S BC S BC S BC S

(Where S=squash, B=beans, C=corn)

Or shall I expand the space? I know the general recommendation is for a much larger scale space devoted to this method, but I'd like to keep it within my current raised bed schems and not sacrifice too much of my other plantings to try it out.

Maybe dwarfesque, or smaller-scale versions... Must google to see if there are such things... :lol:

Wanted a bit of outside opinion before I solidify my plans for this season. Thanks for your input! :D

applestar
Mod

In a well prepared 2'x6 bed, you could potentially plant 12 corn, 1 to each 1' square. you could probably squeeze in a row of 6 to 8 bush beans along the sunny side or I would consider planting 4 pole beans in each corner. Sufficient/proper pollination will be iffy and you'll need to assist by shaking the pollen off the tassles onto the silk when the time comes.

OR you could potetially plant in the same sized bed, 2 squash seeds. They will fill the bed and escape out of the bed so technically, you are using more space than 2'x6. 2 is actually pushing it, 1 is probably better but I would go with 2.

If you want to plant all 3 crops, just to HAVE a Three Sisters, I would maybe plant 2x3 space with 7 corn plus 1 squash in the remaining space (remember it's going to escape so you do need space for the vines to grow somewhere -- I let them grow out into the lawn and climb a sturdy fence, supporting the fruits with slings), and plant bush beans really early to use the space and mostly be done before the squash starts to take over, or else plant 2 pole beans. Planting cucumber instead of squash will take up less space and you'll be able to plant more-- I plant 3 or 4 cukes in 1x4 space and use a vertical trellis.

I should clarify that I do mean pumpkins and winter squash when I say squash and not summer squash like zucchinis or yellow squash. Summer squash are bulkier and are harder to manipulate, and their leaves will take up more than 2' width of space. In my experience, Delicata winter squash is a smaller leaved vine and less of a space hog.

soil
Greener Thumb

be sure not to plant them all at the same time or you will fail.

keskat

I knew I was pushing it. :lol: And I do sort of figure that my original measurements (the beds are actually 4x6, in their entirety) are going to be more organic in nature, and end up being overgrown. But I need to rein myself in, I think, or I'll get nothing at all.

When I garden in rows, the spacing doesn't matter as much - this raised bed experience is going to be entirely different. I really want to try the Three Sisters mostly to compare how well they grow with that method as opposed to my usual standard. Although if I have to help them pollinate (which I would, you're right. I hadn't thought about that aspect of it.) then its not a true representation of the benefits vs. Maybe I'd better just devote the whole bed and generally plant fewer plants?

Of course, that means I need a whole 'nother bed. :D :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”