DeborahL
Green Thumb

Gary, Crisco and cast iron... you sure brought back good memories, from my 60's childhood when people weren't afraid of Crisco.
I was raised on white store bread, foods fried in melted Crisco, Kool-Aid....Oh, the good old days !

applestar
Mod

This thread is giving me ideas. I'm going to prepare my front lawn area where I plant grow the okra by setting up a low tunnel covered with plastic to really heat things up.

It worries me how much everyone who talks about growing okra usually say how hot it gets in the summer. I plan to start them with the peppers and eggplants -- with bottom heat and extra warmth, but I guess I'll also try direct seeding them using the method I recommended someone else -- covering each seed with cut-off soda bottle cloches INSIDE the low tunnel. I should probably get set up by late April when we almost always get a freak heatwave in the 80's and even reach 90ºF. Maybe it will be enough to wake up the seeds even if weather takes a downturn (we've had snow flurries in May....)

This will be a NEW PROJECT! experiment for sure. 8)

Imperialboy

I can't find any Okra seeds at any place near me and don't want to order online :cry:

Though can give you some bullet pointers
- They love full sun (Hottest spot in your garden!)
- Yields roughly around 5-10 pounds per 10ft row
- Yields roughly 1-2 pounds of pods for single plant

Soak seeds before planting. Use swollen seeds.
If you plant in containers, grow in large tube.
Ready to harvest 3-4 days after flowering
Pick every 2 days or so; plants will stop producing if pods not harvested

applestar
Mod

Agh! I forgot about this thread. I post these great ideas and then forget them :roll: I found my Clemson Spineless seeds but MISSED the heatwave which we did have for 4 days. It went down do 40's last night and now still only mid-50's.

My Alabama Red or is that Crimson seedlings are doing well with a pair of true leaves.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I just started mine yesterday. now I just re read this trhead and now I'm worried that I started too late :(

HotPepperManFL

My seeds sprouted about a month ago an now they are taking off, I'm gonna replant tomorrow cause they are showing good roots. The leaves are the size of maple leaves, well aleast the maple leaves we have in FL. 5inchs across maybe.. I will post some pics!!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My plants are now about 18 inches tall and already putting out okra. The pods are small but they are there already and need picking. Not much I can do with the few that are there except maybe steam them a bit and a little oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. When in full swing, I'll be picking almost daily, can't wait.

HotPepperManFL

Question? This is only the second time I've grown okra. The first time it was from seed in the ground, this time I'm growing in pots. When I was growing them inground they grew to about 20" or so with smaller leaves an didn't put out alot of okra. This time they are at about 12" right now and have huge leaves. They are 9" across at the broadest point. They are both from the same seed stock. Which is more normal?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

HotPepperManFL wrote:Question? This is only the second time I've grown okra. The first time it was from seed in the ground, this time I'm growing in pots. When I was growing them inground they grew to about 20" or so with smaller leaves an didn't put out alot of okra. This time they are at about 12" right now and have huge leaves. They are 9" across at the broadest point. They are both from the same seed stock. Which is more normal?
Okra, when growing in my garden often reaches between 6 and 8 ft. tall by seasons end. Why yours only grew to 20 inches is beyond me. Right now, my plants are about 18 inches tall, have leaves at least 8-10 inches at their widest and already putting out pods of okra. I'd say your second experience is more normal and what I'm use to seeing when growing okra. By the way, the variety I plant is Clemson Spineless. I've never planted okra in a pot since their roots are pretty extensive.

When in full swing around mid July to when I pull them in mid September, the plants I have will produce heavily. I usually have about 30-35 plants each summer and it is not unusual for me to pick anywhere from 30-60 pods a day. I'll pick some around 3 inches long for steaming and let most of it go to 5-6 inches long for frying, stewing, pickling and putting in the freezer for making gumbos and soup.

HotPepperManFL

Clemson Spineless is what they are. I'm sure the reason they didn't grow in ground is because of my soil. Its pretty much sugar sand. I had a small raised bed with garden soil, peat moss, black kow mixed in but nothing really grew good. Now that they are growing so well in pots I'm scared to put them in the ground.

growin' stuff

Hi! I LOVE okra first of all, and I had plants last fall that were over my head! I don't remember what the name was, but we got the seeds at Walmart. When the plants were on their way out, I left some pods on the bush to ripen and dry out. Those are the seeds I used to get the plants I have now. I planted the seeds in the soil as soon as we didn't get any more cold fronts and they came up so fast--less than a week, maybe 4 days?? I have to go out there every day to keep up with picking the pods before they get too big. Four inches is as long as you should let them get, or you can pick them smaller. The yellow flowers are pretty but only open part of the day. I think okra is in the hibiscus family, I THINK. :D My husband fries them after breading them in italian bread crumbs, or we freeze them for later, or pickle them. OR give them away. :D

growin' stuff

I have a question. My okra plants are now making a lot of okras in a bunch at the top of the plant. I didn't see that in the fall until the plants were really tall and about finished. These plants are still healthy looking, green, and only a couple feet tall. Anyone know what's going on ?

applestar
Mod

I forgot about ths thread AGAIN :roll:

I wonder if I can find where I planted the seeds today? If I can even approximate, I'll cover them with the soda bottles ... Aaaagggh! TODAY was recycle day and all the plastic bottles got put out and got collected. :shock: :roll:

Well, I may still have some to use. I'll have to look tomorrow. :?

RickRS

sheeshshe wrote:what is the secret to growing Okra anyways?
Being south of the Mason-Dixon line?

If there's one thing that plant loves, it's summer heat.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”