annastasia76

clear plastic over seeds/young plants??

today I was at lowes talking to their gardening expert and he suggested that I put some clear plastic over my seedlings to protect just in case if we get a frost over the next few days (we will be getting several storms in a row)

He also said that it would help to keep them warm and possibly help them to grow a bit faster?? I don't know.

Is it safe to keep the plastic over the plants for an extended amount of time, does it work like a green house?? I have several containers outdoors on a table, a few have sprouted but don't have their second leaves yet, the rest have not sprouted yet. We have some painters plastic stuff that is wide and clear that I could use, would that work?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Anna,

Here's my crazy idea. Flip the table over. Put the plants back on the under side of the table and drape the plastic. The legs hold the plastic up.

instant greenhouse!

At least get the seedlings off the table. You don't want cold air under the seedlings.

Eric

annastasia76

never thought about the cold air, I had it up to protect it (at least some what) from the mice. even on the table they are still pulling up my plants. any ideas on how to get rid of those pests, well atleast the plastic should slow them down.

I don't know anything about green houses, do I water less, do I need to open every so often to let it air out, will the plants have to be hardened off? is there a site to help newbies with green houses?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

never thought about the cold air, I had it up to protect it (at least some what) from the mice. even on the table they are still pulling up my plants. any ideas on how to get rid of those pests, well at least the plastic should slow them down.
Lean in, I need to whisper the answer, poison :wink:

Warm soil and cool air is best.

Ask your Greenhouse questions in this forum.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=48

Eric

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Re. mice: if you don't have a cat who will take care of them for you, use snap traps. We had a couple of mice under the kitchen sink two or three years ago, where the cats couldn't get at them. :x We bought the snap traps (quick kill: no long, drawn-out suffering of mice) and baited them with peanut butter. Set the traps, "jaws" outwards, along the paths where the mice approached. These are usually along walls or other semi-protected routes.

You never have to touch the mouse. Pick up the trap, release the dead mouse into a paper bag, and put it in your outside garbage (or, if you have one, a hot compost pile).

The difficulty with rodenticides is that you may inadvertently poison other animals: neighborhood cats, dogs, or large birds which do catch the weakened mouse or, heaven forbid, rat. Then that cat/dog/bird suffers secondary toxicity.

Snap trap + peanut butter = no mice for us! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

annastasia76

I have thought about traps but we have a dog in that area and I could just see her snapping her nose with it. I could try putting it between the containers, I don't think she can get her nose in there.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Eric, that is an AWESOME idea about flipping the table and draping the plastic !
Annastasia, I like all your posts, your questions and all. Sounds like you're really going for it !

annastasia76

thank you, I just hope that I am not annoying everybody. I always love to learn new things and to improve on things that I already know and forums are the best place for that.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Snap trap + peanut butter = no mice for us!
Snap traps, yeah!, yeah that's the ticket. It's actually a very good way to go.

Eric

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Not annoying at all ! I'm learning too.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

DDF, I like your idea about using the table as a mini greenhouse :idea:. I wold have never thought about that!

You know, I saw a few months ago on the I think the Weather Channel that you shouldn't use plastic for frost procession because it "conducts the cold" and actually makes it colder under the plastic than outside.

I just have to think that this is wrong, though. I mean, there are so many people that use plastic low tunnels to extend their growing seasons both in the early spring and in the late fall. Also, I was always under the impression that plastic was an insulator and not a conductor :?.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

When people drape plastic over their plants during cold weather, they often fail to ensure that the plastic stays AWAY from the plants. Where the plastic touches the plants, the cold will come right through and kill the plant.

The tunnels work because they keep the soil-warmed air from leaving as quickly. The tunnels, if the proper height for the plants, also don't touch the plants; therefore, no cold is conducted to the plants.

There was a thread a while back about a freeze in Florida where the Floridians were discussing whether to drape sheets, blankets, or plastic over their plants. Sheets and blankets were better, because if they touched the plants, the consequences weren't as quick or severe.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

mansgirl

My girlfriends parents own a greenhouse. She's in charge of propagation there. I know that they keep seeds covered. It helps to keep moisture in, the soil warm, and it protects against disease. If you do this, its important to mist your seeds, not spray them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”