Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Strawberries keep dying

The strawberries start out healthy and then the white flower turns brown. Soon after the small strawberry gets covered in mold and dies. What is causing this? I'm not over watering them either.

btw the strawberry plants themselves are approx. two and a half years old.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Francis,

Sounds like you have Gray Mold.

Symptoms
Young blossoms are very susceptible to infection. One or several blossoms in a cluster may show blasting (browning and dying) that usually extends down the pedicel. Light gray masses of dusty spores soon appear and are easily dislodged and carried by air currents to other blossoms. Such infections are most common in well protected areas of the plant, where the humidity is high and air movement is poor.

Eric

applestar
Mod

Do you think 10% Milk Solution in a stronger concentration would help in this case? I would try that and diluted AACT foliar spray -- not at the same time but in alternating application -- first.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Francis,

Sounds like you have Gray Mold.

Symptoms
Young blossoms are very susceptible to infection. One or several blossoms in a cluster may show blasting (browning and dying) that usually extends down the pedicel. Light gray masses of dusty spores soon appear and are easily dislodged and carried by air currents to other blossoms. Such infections are most common in well protected areas of the plant, where the humidity is high and air movement is poor.

Eric

Thats exactly what it looks like. It was really bad last summer, but it's not that hot or humid here.......yet. And the air movement is good b/c of the constant breeze that comes off the lake.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Well, I'm not sure. :?

Do you put straw around the plants? It should help keep the mud from splashing and fruit cleaner / drier.

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

i bet your strawberry plants are pretty thick now compared to when you planted them, chances are they have poor ventilation.

if i were you in the spring i would divide them up, clean all dead leaf and fruit off. clean a new area for planting. and apply Aerated Compost Tea as much as possible. that should give them a chance to fight off the mold.
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Well, I'm not sure. :?

Do you put straw around the plants? It should help keep the mud from splashing and fruit cleaner / drier.

Eric

Nah, I have no straw in the garden. I will try to keep the plant dry as much as possible.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Francis,

Soil has a good point. About the third year is when the bed should be rejuvenated. Like he said, removing and discarding the mother plant and replanting the daughters, is a good practice.

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

you can also just root the runners in pots each year and plant them elsewhere or sell them. i root about 800-1000 runners each year. this way the bed never gets overcrowded.
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I think that a combination of what everyone said would be the key for you.

1. Renovate your beds (removing plants).

2. Plant new plants in a new area.

3. Put down straw in the area.

As we all know, if you have a specific disease in your garden, you shouldn't plant the same crop in the same spot again. The same goes for strawberries.
Moving the patch, if you can, will help to reduce the spread of the disease.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”