GomoIsGardening
Cool Member

Lasagna style gardening?'s

Back story, when TX was hit with drought and my elec. bill was over $600 for a month of watering, I let the garden go to weed forest. I have well water.

I just couldn't justify, the cost and not having enough veggies to put up.

Now, because of my laziness, I'm in a pickle.

I finally have my big trimmer up and running so I can mow the weed forest down. I'm already in the 80's so I can try some clear plastic to help with the weed kill.

Most of what I've read, involves newspaper and cardboard. I have plenty and can get more for free if needed.

I've never seen straw in my area. I can get coastal hay, which takes forever to break down. I do use this for the potato beds. Supposedly it is seed free. I don't have any leaves unless I get them from a friend and she has massive amounts of black walnuts in them.

I no longer have chickens, but might get a few if someone out there like Doubledog thinks I can raise them in the same house with geese. I'm thinking the poo factor. Geese for weeding the garden, chickens for some decent eggs. Also need to know how the geese will fare with my dogs, rotti mix and chihuahua/terrier mix.

I probably can't get the thing plowed. Requires tearing the fence down again and hope the guy shows up to do it.

Is this doable with newspaper, rotted manure and coastal hay? I'd much rather build up the beds than have to till every year. I do have some traditional style raised beds, but they need soil. I'm going to use them as compost beds and hopefully they will be usable by July, for fall planting.

The area is probably 40'x50'.

Oh, from a previous post from someone else, thanks to whoever suggested a broadfork. Didn't know they existed. I want one bad!

Thanks to everyone who can help me. I normally know what I'm doing, but this year, I have limited resources and needing the biggest bang for my buck.

starwood

It sounds like those three ingredients are your best option. It will work. If you could shred the hay, it would break down faster.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”