GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Tips for selling produce

A friend and I are going to be planting a couple hundred tomato and cukes on his land to try to make a little bit of extra cash this year. We're just gonna try having a roadside stand to see how we do. It's really more about trying it out than it is about the money, but extra income never hurts!

Anyone have any pointers? We both grow gardens for our own use, but have never grown on any kind of larger scale.

nes
Green Thumb

Yes. Don't :shock: .

Think about how much those vegetables sell for at the grocery store or at the farmer's market. How those people are already set up for large-scale production and organic certification can be very difficult & expensive.

I don't mean to dissuade you but I think you're looking at a lot more substantial time and financial investment then you realise.

My only suggestion would be to look into livestock. Using free-range methods you can easily raise a few pigs, or tons of chickens, or a couple cows on as little as an acre. That may give you a better cost-return.

If you're really set on vegetables; pumpkins are pretty easy to grow will choke out other weeds once they get large enough.

If you're really set on going forward, best of luck :)!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

lol, I appreciate the warning, or heads up. :)

But I think you're thinking more hardcore about it.

I'm just going to throw out a few hundred plants and sell what grows. I have a place to set up for free. And my only real expense would be the gas for driving to and from the friend's house to harvest and then back to the site to sell them. It's about 20 miles each way, not terribly far.

I'm not sure what all expenses you're thinking of. I don't need to be "organically certified" because I won't say they're organic. Just pesticide and chemical free. Even watering isn't bad. In a normal season we get about enough rain to take care of the plants. Ad the little bit we may have to water them is free too because he is on a well, not city water.

What am I missing?

nes
Green Thumb

Weeding.

Price of seeds, pots if you're going to start indoors (whatever way you're going) and electricity.

I'm sure your friend should already know this but make sure he has the well capacity if you're running off his house. Nothing worse then a dry well!

(I mentioned organic because you'll get more money).

Definitely get a soil analysis done before you start!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jeff,

Here is one of many Saturdays.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128362#128362

and also look into legalities. :(

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

nes, I have the seed trays already, and a few fluorescent light don't use that much. I'm not going to be up potting these. I'm going to get them about a 4 week head start and then stick them right in the ground. Seeds (what I don't have) will only cost me a few bucks. We have analyzed the capacity of the well for water, and we should be fine.

We will grow them organically, but I can't label them that unless it's certified, as you said before. So I'll just label them chemical free and everyone knows what that means.

Marlin-Good idea on the signs being up the road a bit! And I have already been saving up the bags, you're right, paper is better. I'll just have the produce in boxes from costco in the bed of my pick up. Maybe have a table set up as well.

I'm not worried about competing with grocery store prices. They're outrageous anyways and I know for a fact that people are willing to pay as much or more for homegrown stuff.

Eric- that looks great! How do you make out selling seedlings? I'm guessing well since it sounds like you do this regularly.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Definitely check the legal for your state/county and even city.
If you have a farm stand do you have to tend it? Honor system? Is the road trafficked to get customers. 7 days/week? or just couple days/week?

Another option is to get in with a farmers market in your area.

I agree that most people will go with local grown, fresh picked, no chemicals, without the Organic certification.
Of course as this is your 1st run at it, lots of trial and error. I am great at both!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Eric- that looks great! How do you make out selling seedlings? I'm guessing well since it sounds like you do this regularly.
This will be my third summer. Our market is moving. The new market will be in town at a historical site. The Brickworks building is about 100 years old. In town Farmers Market green space. Walking distance from the ferry landing. :D Hope to sell more to the local B&Bs and restaurants.

Our market is trying something new this year. We are calling it the Incubation Booth. It's for promoting new vendors. The booth will be staffed by either the market manager or a vendor/ farmer mentor.

I sell the
4" pots @ $1.50
6 packs @ $3.00
6" pots @ $4.00

If they buy a full flat of (18 ) 4" pots $25.00

Eric

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Take it seriously, Jeff. Get out a piece of paper and pencil it out as best you can. Certain expenses can be anticipated - like gas.

A diverse offering is wonderful but it increases the costs of the operation. You can't really be all things to all people but you can try to go a little way down that road. Whatever the case, go with your strong suits.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was by a guy who wrote [url=https://www.amazon.com/New-Farmers-Market-Farm-Fresh-Communities/dp/0963281429]a book on farmers' markets.[/url] He said "pile it high and kiss it good bye!" As much as diversity, abundance is important. The customers don't like to think that they are getting what was at the bottom of the barrel.

Hitching your wagon to a successful farmers' market makes life a little easier. It might get kind of lonely out on the road by yourself. Location, location, location - remember the real estate broker's big 3 - don't be somewhere it is difficult for the consumers to get to. I swear, most people won't stop unless they are already at a crawl. And, as has been said, visibility is important. Ideally, you would be at a location where drivers would like to stop anyway.

It may not be true along a roadway but whatever is the most perishable and takes you more time to process - like salad greens - will make you the most money per pound and per square foot. A crop like that will also result in the most wastage and your work will gain you very little per hour. But, that is generally true no matter what you grow.

The Cooperative Extension office can be a good source of local information. One thing, so that you can pencil it out, is a good idea on yield. You can research produce prices at your local supermarket but you really owe it to yourself not to sink all sorts of time and energy into what turns out to be a truckload of what retails for $50.

The right location with the right produce and a welcoming attendant - you might find that you like this kind of enterprise.

Steve

ETA: Ah, I see in your 1st post you say "cucumbers & tomatoes!" Yeah, that looks like good choices (and not crops that are likely to produce a single truckload that retails for $50, either ;) ). Spread out the harvest as best you can and maybe a vast array of varieties!
Last edited by digitS' on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

GardenRN wrote:.... It's really more about trying it out than it is about the money, ...
I think that's a great idea ... do it for fun, and see what happens. :D

It seems that you're not diving into this to try to make your living from it. That gives you the perfect opportunity to learn and gain experience, without the stress of worrying if you will go broke or not.
You can always make it a serious business later on, after you've "tested the waters".

Here's another option to consider ... If there is a top-notch organic grower anywhere near you, get a job there! That way, you could learn a lot about the business and earn a paycheck at the same time.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the advise folks. I'm sure it'll be fun even if it's a total flop. I doubt I'll ever be looking to make a business out of it. But I would be thrilled if it generated a solid second source of income! We shall see.

Now, I'm debating how far beyond tomatoes and cukes to go! Not sure if I want to add sqash and stuff too. We're really only talking about the cost of seeds and maybe a days worth of planting, so I may just throw it all in the ground and see what happens.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Marlin- Thanks for asking around! Yeah, I was basically thinking of just growing the most useful, or common things. Tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, maybe basil and potatoes. Just things that everyone uses. I hear lots of good about arugula, but I am only growing it for the first time this season. And I don't think I've ever even seen it in the store. That leads me to believe that most people aren't that turned on by it.

I know lettuce would be good but all of the excess lettuce I have goes to the food bank because they go through it the fastest and use it for a lot of kids meals.

I figured if I took the 2-4 most popular veggies I could think of and then grew 2-3 varieties of those I should be in good shape.

Like you said, it'll be fun just to be out there. And I'm sure I'll recoup what it costs and more at minimum.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jeff,

Here is a little trick. We sell bags of stir fry mix and salad mix. Stir fry $5.00 and Salad $6.00. These are 1/2 pound bags. They fly off the table. Now if we marked them $10.00 and $12.00 per pound they would just sit there. :?

Another thing about pricing. At the Farmers Market, everyone seems to have about the same prices. It's like no one is willing to under cut. It's a pretty tight group of vendors. :D Quantity and quality makes a big difference.

It's hard to single out the most popular produce. These are on my for sure list.

Duck eggs
Beets
Carrots
Potatoes
Broccoli
Lettuce
Beans
Peas
Garlic, scapes then bulbs
Tomatoes, Sungold
Squash, summer then winter
Spinach

Our arugula goes into the salad mix and sunchokes are becoming very popular here. $6.00 lb.
I figured if I took the 2-4 most popular veggies I could think of and then grew 2-3 varieties of those I should be in good shape.
This may work for tomatoes, squash, potatoes and lettuce. I would grow one good quality beet - carrot- pea- bean- broccoli etc.

Eric

ps. I recently told Roger we could use a Farmers Market forum. :D His response was, "What would talk about".

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I feel ya on the beans and peas...only problem is, I don't have the stuff to make that much trellis for all of it and I'm not looking to lay out for it. At least not this year. AND, where the friend that owns the land lives, the deer will tear up some beans. For some reason they don't touch the tomatoes and the other stuff, just the beans. But anyways, like I said. If I do really really well this year, I'd consider purchasing the materials to build a long trellis and fence it in. But for now I'm scaling back to things I can just let roam. I'll stop the tomato plants at about 5ft so they don't fall and don't need to be staked, and cukes can roam the ground, or I may try to plant the cukes around some small trees so they can just climb those. It's gonna be a fly by the seat of my pants venture this year I can tell you already lol.

What would we talk about? Geeeeez, lol. Local price trends, hot selling varieties, new sales ideas. I had thought about getting small baskets from the dollar store and putting together, sort of an italian basket for example. A basket with some tomatoes, basil, rosemary, oregno, and some homemade pasta. Could probably $10-$12 for that. Maybe more. I'm planning on being a little behind the other guys at the farmer's market so I'll probably do a little covert op and see what things are going for. I don't want to rip people off, but I'm not looking to undercut myself either. Gotta get a good feel for a "fair" price.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm planning on being a little behind the other guys at the farmer's market so I'll probably do a little covert op and see what things are going for. I don't want to rip people off, but I'm not looking to undercut myself either. Gotta get a good feel for a "fair" price.
No, Go into the market, take your camera, and ask questions. Most vendors are friendly. Our 10x10 booth space is $10. per Saturday. Try a space at the market.

Vendors are pretty tight lipped when it comes to sales, but I hear romors. Some are making $800. to $1500. per Saturday and another close to $2000. These are my goals. Go large or get out!

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

my tip to sell produce....

grow the best produce. people will follow quality.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

This will be my first year of really trying to sell large quantities of stuff and I have limited area, so I'm learning more about succession planting. Snap peas in the spring and fall, pole beans and cucumbers in the summer. That 150 square feet becomes 750.

Super early tomatoes. Using a row cover, I should be able to get them out a week or two before most others (except for those with a hoop house). But if I'm the only one with vine-ripe, locally grown maters, I can get a great price.

I also hope to benefit from a theme: Go purple! Sweet Potatoes, Beans,
Snap Peas, Eggplants, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, Carrots and Lettuce. I'll
also have recipes and maybe free samples, especially Purple Sweet Potato
Pie with Pecan Crust.

Every little thing one can do to boost your presence can help.

Mike

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

grow the best produce. people will follow quality
Yes, In a nutshell.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Some years ago when I had children at home we would grow a corn patch for selling. It was a good project for the kids to make a bit of spending money. We just made a sign "Fresh Corn" and posted it out front. Never had any trouble selling it.

Last season, I sold some veggies at the local Farmers Market. It was a small town market with not really enough customers. This was the first year of the market here in our town. I guess I did make a couple of bucks, but it was more of a social event than anything. We have a facebook page if you are interested: "Paradise Market"

Tomatoes, green beans, green onions, dry onions, cucumbers and summer squash sold good.

You can't find a decent green bean in a supermarket. I sold every bean I took to market. I was bagging them in a ziplock bag and putting a pound in the bag. I didn't sell them by the pound though but by the bag for $2.00 each.

starwood

We sold for a few years, but overdid it and burned ourselves out. Just two things sounds like heaven to me.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

So many variables! and more important the sharing of tips and ideas. Do check out my thread on What doesn't fit elsewhere: Urban Garden forum below.
One thing I found is to check your local regs. In some places cannot package a salad mix in a baggie for example. I can sell basil and thyme, but need a different OK to sell basil and thyme plant starts.

I saw those $$ some get. That is great! I am looking to have enough bundles of various herbs to gross $100. There is one of me, very part time in my back yard/deck, and have limits! I am trying to be realistic as to how many bunches to get X $.

More later...

erlyberd
Cool Member

I'd think your going to need a few more products than tomatoes and cukes to create any sort of traffic jam. Its like going to a tag sale that only has baby clothes! Unless of course the quality and taste are superior! Don't you think? Good idea on the value added products though. I sure hope the deer don't change their eating habits this year. You'll figure it out as you go. Best of luck and don't try too hard, make it fun!

GomoIsGardening
Cool Member

Jeff,
Please, please, please pay attention to what Marlin had to say.

My favorite roadside stand is on Hwy 281N on the way to Johnson City,TX. I basically know where it is, but 9 times out of 10 I miss it. I rarely turn around to go back and buy junk from the local grocery store.

I started out doing veggies for sale. I was before my time, because I actually got heirlooms to work in my area. Nobody wanted them. They don't hold well and quite frankly they aren't pretty. Consumers nowadays do not understand, real fresh veggies don't last 3 weeks in the fridge and most of the time not pretty. I'm lucky I didn't lose my home.

Well water isn't free. If your friend is running the well from wind or solar, then god bless. If your friend is paying the electric company and you don't have any rain, watch out. When I decided to give up, my minuscule garden was costing over $600 a month, because of me running my well. I was actually getting $2 for a certain squash, $3lb for tomatoes and $3 for a dozen eggs. Still couldn't pay the bills, because irrigation doesn't produce the same product or enough.

My advice, if you have tons of money to lose. Don't mind getting intp a spitting match or lawsuit with your friend, then go for it.

Personally, unless you're selling the best tasting tomatoes and tenderest cucumbers, I would stop by once. You're not offering any variety.

Just my thoughts.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I feel ya on the beans and peas...only problem is, I don't have the stuff to make that much trellis for all of it and I'm not looking to lay out for it.
You can plant bush beans, and peas do not need a trellis. Save yourself the bother of trellising. Jade is a great bush bean. Wando, and Little Marvel are two excellent varieties of peas that have the harvest spread out a bit.

Lincoln and Victory freezer tend to come pretty much all at the same time. One plus of these varieties is, you can pull the vines and go sit under the shade tree to pick the peas.

shelleyinmichigan
Cool Member

I too am looking to make a little extra cash by selling my children :twisted:

Since I live on the only road out of town, not too far from town, going south to the village, on Lake Huron, with ALOT of well off seasonal neighbors, and alot of other neighbors who hold garage sales all week leading up to and through Memorial Day Weekend I've been kicking myself for being too lazy to do this.

But this year will be different. I will be selling plants out of my front yard, and in the summer and fall the excess produce and cut herbs from my own garden. As for costs........I try every trick in the book to keep them as low as possible.

For the past couple years I've been getting my exercise walking on the bi-path that goes by a cemetery. I noticed that there were piles of empty pots and flats of 4- and 6-packs collected in areas for the groundskeepers to dispose of. Blasphemy!

So as I walked I started confiscating everything I could carry back to my car. Sometimes I would just drive my car over to where there was alot and pile it into my trunk. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Needless to say I have puh-lenty of containers. We have a well for water, but due to the hard mineral content it is unusable for watering plants. That's where the rain collection system comes in. A one time cost of eight 55 gallon barrels, tubing, connectors, and wood to make a stand for them (it looks like I have a winery set up behind my sewing room!) I have an endless amount of fresh water at my disposal when I need it, which is only during extreme dry spells. Even if I wasn't going to sell anything, I still needed this set up for my garden, so it's just a handy thing to have already.

I always buy end of season soil amendments when they get marked down, and keep at least one bale of peat on hand to mix with compost. Fertilizer is compost tea with a couple cow patties thrown in a mesh bag.

Since this is the first year of selling, I won't be tweaking anything or doing an intense analysis on p&l. Every plant will be uniformly potted and sold at a uniform price just to keep it simple. Only then will I be able to accurately gauge whether I should do it again.

But then, if I make $20 I'm going to be thrilled!
8)

lily51
Greener Thumb

This could be a lot of fun and lots of ways you can approach it.
My sister-in-law has sold sweet corn by the honor system and by orders for 30 years and has done well. She has a great location...busy road, close to a campground and a public lake. Hers was for extra $$.

We grew strawberries for 8 years and sold by orders and pick-your-own.

There's a great produce market at the end (or start) of our road.
He has a great location, too. On the edge of town, where "country" starts, just down from the high school. Everone knows his location. His is his living and he does very well.

You could also market at a farmer's market your area may have on weekends.

But to do it right, it does take work, no matter what the crop.
Give it a try and see what happens. Enjoy!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

MaryAnne- I'm definitely taking in everything everyone has to say. Good and bad. And in marlin's case, especially with the signs, that is a must. I think the fact that I will only have one or two veggies (but probably 3 or 4 varieties of each) is why I was leaning toward roadside as opposed to farmer's market. There are guys on the other side of town that show up in a strip mal marking lot every weekend with a truckload of cucumbers....that's it. All the same kind too. They wouldn't sit there all day every weekend if they weren't making something.

As far as the electric for the pump goes, you're right. The well water isn't scott free. But we won't be watering extensively anyways from the hose. Less than once a week. As we started clearing the area yesterday for this venture we were coming up with a water collection system using a few 55gal drums. Just for the sake of cutting out a few more pennies.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It sounds like you are getting a lot of great advice that is putting you on the right track!

I like the idea of signs, as well.

Rainwater collection is another great idea; those pennys you save add up fast!

Don't feel bad about starting out with only a few things. Really, this will make it easier to get into the swing of things and know if you are doing well and if/how you should adjust your methods.

There's always next year for you to expand once you get a good feel for things.

Oh, and don't think that you must be limited to vegetable, either. If you read up on propagation, you will see that many flowers, shrubs, trees, etc. are easily reproduced and ornamentals could make a nice compliment to your vegetables. But we're getting ahead of ourselves. Just start out small and get a feel for it and expand as you see fit.

Good luck and make sure you keep us updated on your progress!

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Jeff,

I would consider trying to get the most out of your land. I have way more space this year than last year but I want to grow a lot more produce. I have a spot that is about 150 feet long that cannot be used for much else, so I will plant two rows of Sugar Snap Peas. As they start declining in production, I'll replant with cucumbers and green beans. Come fall, back to the peas. That 150 feet turns into 450!

Another thing I want is early tomatoes. So I will start three rows (each about 300 feet long) and use a row cover to protect them against frosts. But between each plant, I'll sow loose leaf or Romaine lettuce, hopefully before I actually transplant the toms. This way, the maters will not bother the lettuce for about six weeks. That's about how long it will take before the lettuce starts to bolt.

Mike

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”