jasbo

Good basic vegetable gardening books

I'd like to get a couple of good vegetable gardening books for beginners. Can someone recommend some? I just got "Vegetable Gardening for Dummies," and although I like it, there are short-comings such as minimal artwork.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, and I apologize. But I spent 20 minutes or so on a search and didn't come up with anything useful. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Jim

nes
Green Thumb

We've got a whole forum for gardening books, down at the bottom of the list :).

Anyway - I really like the reader's digest book I was given. Lots of easy to read information on different types of vegetables. It's my go-to reference book (now spiral bound because of over-use/dropping it...).

In general I get most of my information from the web, there is TONS available for free.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Since you live in the west, you might like Sunset's [url=https://www.sunset.com/garden/fruits-veggies/best-vegetables-fruit-herbs-to-plant-00400000062826/page23.html]Western Garden Book of Edibles: The Complete A-Z Guide to Growing Your Own Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruits[/url].

Shop around for it. I think it's on Amazon for $16.00 or thereabouts. :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Since you live in the west, you might like Sunset's Western Garden Book of Edibles: The Complete A-Z Guide to Growing Your Own Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruits.
Wait a minute, I thought Cynthia got a dollar every time this was mentioned. :> Don't hone in on her royalties. :lol:

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Cynthia and I happen to agree that Sunset's Western Garden Books are among the best references for those who garden in the western states. We both use the books and recommend them to others. :)

jasbo

Kisal wrote:Since you live in the west, you might like Sunset's [url=https://www.sunset.com/garden/fruits-veggies/best-vegetables-fruit-herbs-to-plant-00400000062826/page23.html]Western Garden Book of Edibles: The Complete A-Z Guide to Growing Your Own Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruits[/url].

Shop around for it. I think it's on Amazon for $16.00 or thereabouts. :)
Thanks, Kisal. That's a great suggestion, especially since it's available on Amazon (your guess is pretty close: $16.47 -- at least today). It's handy to throw a few things together on Amazon orders for free shipping.

I still have a basic Sunset Western Garden Book from the '70s, and it's useful, but a newer one specifically for edibles will give me some newer varieties to choose from.

Jim

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I hate to mention this one as it is older, but it was given to me when I started gardening as a loaner - it was so good I bought it myself at Amazon. Dick Raymonds "Joy of Gardening" :) It is simple, has great info for a beginner. I think the reviews on Amazon for the book speak for its appeal. :wink: I also went to our local library and checked out a bunch, read and skimmed through them and then chose the ones I knew I would reference later on. I live in Florida, so some of mine were for Florida gardening. Mr Raymonds book sits next to my bed - I look at it at least a couple of times a week (I know I sound boring) - Also I love Mother Earth News (magazines) have an abundance of great info for all parts of the country and everything you could possibly want to know about various types of gardening. I would normally recycle my magazines, but these are so good they stay in my gardening cabinet to reference. Best of luck to you, :D I have been doing this alittle over a year and I am hooked, I really enjoy it.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

That Dick Raymond book is a classic, a great read, and I have a great deal of respect for Dick Raymond... his love of gardening really shows through in that book.

However, I would caution that some of his advice is a little "dated", relative to current organic gardening practices. For instance, Dick often recommends the use of chemical fertilizers and roto-tilling.

For a more Organic approach, I think this is an excellent book ...
Burpee : The Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener : A Guide to Growing Your Garden Organically...
[url]https://www.amazon.com/Burpee-Complete-Vegetable-Gardener-Organically/dp/0028620054/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297824865&sr=1-1[/url]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Kisal wrote:Cynthia and I happen to agree that Sunset's Western Garden Books are among the best references for those who garden in the western states. We both use the books and recommend them to others. :)
Yeah, we divide up that (mythical!) dollar....

Also take a look at "What are your favorite basic gardening books and why"? at https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26345

Cynthia

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It's about time, you found this post.

Buy something fabulous. :D

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”