RuHappy69

When can I start plantings inside?

I live in zone 6 and want to know when I can start planting the following inside (I usually will direct seed my string beans and cucumbers in Mid May)

Basil
Parsley
Cerry tomatoes

Whatever else I plant will be purchased as small plants

starwood

I live in zone 5. I only grow basil under growlights inside the house. It's hardly worth bothering to plant it outside. Inside I don't have to worry about it. And it provides great fragrance in the house.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I live in zone 6 B. Parsley I planted about 3 wks ago. It is cold tolerant AND it is slow to germinate, so you want to give it plenty of time.

Basil and tomatoes, I will start as soon as I get the time now (right around Valentine's day is my guideline for that).

RuHappy69

Looks like I have a short weeked project. :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

This online tool over at Johnny's Seeds looks reasonable for my spring frost-free date: [url=https://www.johnnyseeds.com/e-PDGSeedStart.aspx??source=HomeSeedCalc0111]Find your seed-starting date.[/url]

Both Basil and Parsley are included in the list along with the veggies and quite a few ornamentals.

I find it a little humorous that we are required to enter not only the spring frost-free day but the year :o ! I guess that might be some kind of attempt to . . . what is the polite abbreviation: CYA? :wink:

I might enter "2012" and then complain that the basil and cherry tomatoes weren't able to survive until spring of that year . . . :lol:

Anyway -- it looks like useful information there at Johnny's!

Steve :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”