jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Is Spring coming?

Wow! Nice day today. Sunshine, and it got up to 53 degrees. I went out to see if I had any bees flying. Yes, they were. I didn't see any garlic poking up yet. The ground was still frozen a bit in places. It will take a couple more nice days to get the frost out of the ground. The forecast is calling for two more days in the low 50s, then snow Wednesday eve.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Weather was nice here today too 60 degrees. My garlic is poking up throught the pine needles. We still have some ice in the shade on the north side of the house. I went for a 20 mile bicycle ride on the Greenway along the river. It is going to be in the mid 60s all week. I think I will go camping for a few days.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow! It got up into the 40's here and I thought we were having a heat wave. People out on bicycles... But yes, it felt definitely spring like and I have seedlings in my basement, so I feel confident in saying spring is coming!

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Wow.. spring must be coming. I think it will hit 33 degrees F here. There wasn't any ice INSIDE my garage!!! and the snow pack on my raised beds is under 3 feet (pending the next great storm!).

Seeing pictures on here of plants popping up and hearing about nice weather is driving me crazy!! Maybe we need to move south.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener, that sounds so inviting. I am about six weeks off from planting anything. The first of April is usually planting time for the cool weather crops, weather permitting.

Its just too cool for much to grow until then. Spinach is the exception, you can plant that anytime from november until June. Not that it will grow through winter, but it will survive and get going as soon as the temperatures are favorable. I usually have some lettuce and spinach go to seed each year, then it comes up all over in the spring. So you could say its already planted I guess. :)

nes
Green Thumb

Not sure of the temperature, but I let my dogs out this morning to find a wolly-bolly caterpillar on my front step! Spring must be coming :D.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

We were at 27 degrees this morning in central Alabama but 67 now and headed to 70 on Friday and Saturday. I transferred little tomato plants from their starter pot to the five inch peat pot last week and will give them a little miracle gro this weekend. Also, have squash, pepper and egg plant coming up under grow light.

I have about finished a small greenhouse that will house the plants as they get ready to go to the garden. I used some of the greenhouse space as garden boxes so will put some squash plants and a couple of tomatoes in soon to get a little jump on spring.

It will get busy soon but I love springtime, and summer and fall and winter (but not sure I could handle your winter, Jal)

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I'm not allowing myself to get "carried away" at this point, because I know we will have more cold weather to come [even though it's in the 60s this week]. I bet we will have several more hard freezes, and probably see some more snow.

But, it's certainly a great time to be outside in the garden, taking care of some projects and chores to get a head start. :)

greg1186
Cool Member

GO AWAY COLD

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Hate to be a bearer of bad news.

For those of us where it warmed up. Heck it was 68 last sun maybe near 70 again later this week. But the cold is coming back. Next week they are calling for more cold and maybe snow and such. So though Spring is coming don't jump the gun just yet. IT AINT OVER YET! :cry:

BUT SOON!!!! :D

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Spring has been back, I actually - now this is the truth, had to wear a tank top in the garden due to the heat and got sun on my shoulders, yes my first bit of tanning for the year. It was in the upper 70's - and looks to be a great weekend. I love the sun! :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Avonnow wrote:Spring has been back, I actually - now this is the truth, had to wear a tank top in the garden due to the heat and got sun on my shoulders, yes my first bit of tanning for the year. It was in the upper 70's - and looks to be a great weekend. I love the sun! :D
Okay now don't rub it in, that's not very nice. :D :P :P :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Avonnow wrote:Spring has been back, I actually - now this is the truth, had to wear a tank top in the garden due to the heat and got sun on my shoulders,
Poor dear; that sounds dangerous this time of year. I hope you didn't get a sunburn. :wink:

We have the second arrival of Wet Winter this evening: a series of storm fronts out of the Gulf of Alaska. Winds gusting up to 45 or 50 mph tonight, accompanied by perhaps 3 inches of rain (= 30 inches of snow, precipitation-wise) in the next 24 hours, then repeat repeat repeat until Saturday at least.

Well, it has been incredibly dry the last three or so weeks, but pottying an invalid 85- to 90-lb dog--carrying/helping him out the door and into the yard--in the pouring rain is *not* I repeat *not* fun. OTOH, my roses, blackberries, Doughty Sorrel Plant, and others will love the rain. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I do love the sun and while maybe I do enjoy the fact I can garden all year, I WOULD give anything to have the soil that is produced up north and I am sure the wonerful seasons have alot to do with it. We have this dry sandy stuff and basically have to work hard to get it anywhere near workable. I look at the pictures you all post of your plants and just drool. They are so perky and healthy and seem to just grow like crazy. When I go to Tenn to visit family I could walk through their gardens for hours and they seem to just throw the seeds in the groud. So enjoy your season your spring will come and with it tons of veggies. In the mean time I will slather on some suncreen. :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I know....... wishful thinking. Last night we had a blizzard. This morning we have 6.5 inches of fresh snow.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

In Maine, I don't think we look at 6.5" as a blizzard. Might be a dusting! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

WEll, I though it was after 3/4 of my snow melted off and folks were walking around in t-shirts.

Sadly, it's snowing out right now so I guess I was wrong.

Ah well, at least we have our seed-starting to keep us occupied for the time-being.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Oh this weather!

Yesterday - record high 77F for this area, today, 50mph winds, and possible snow on Mon night, go figure!

But that 77F was oh so nice!!!

Regards,
D

mansgirl

jal_ut wrote:I know....... wishful thinking. Last night we had a blizzard. This morning we have 6.5 inches of fresh snow.
Yeah, we're getting that blizzard in Michigan now. My yard was clear of snow, I could see my garden, my landscaping, and how much bird seed had spilled over the windy winter months (yikes! I'm going to grow thistle and black oilers instead of flowers and hastahs!) Now.. no more. My landscaping and garden are buried under 8" of snow, and its starting to sleet! And I was so hopeful for an early spring.. :?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”