RuHappy69

ok so I just harvested seeds from a ripe cherry tomato

How do I go about drying them out for a planting inside in about a week or so?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28675

RuHappy69

You say below:

You can save seeds from tomatoes that have been scalded to remove skins. The temps don't get high enough to cause substantial damage. You cannot use seeds from frozen tomatoes, freezing them in the tomato usually kills a lot if not all of the seeds.

Why can't I just scrape off the goo, dry them on a paper towel then store them in an envelope for a month until I start them inside (I live in NJ)

Stella Blue

RuHappy,
As an experiment (I'm pretty new to gardening BTW), I took seeds from a ripe, store bought, cherry tomato. Scraped off the goo, dried them on a piece of paper, and planted them indoors a week later. I used a heat mat for a little extra help, and most sprouted within 2-3 days.
It may take a little longer than getting a quick answer here, but it's fun to experiment. :)

RuHappy69

Pretty much have the same plan!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

That was #1 on the list. goo or no goo.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

As long as the tomato is ripe enough, you should have good success no matter how you do it.

I had a lot of rotten tomatoes last season and they all went into the compost pile.....come next year, I got tons of volunteer seedlings popping up! This tells me the seeds are pretty resilient.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”