Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Leaf miners strike again....

.....but this time they're starting to destroy my tomato seedlings!! The seedlings only have a few leaves on them. How do I stop the leaf miners......again?

-helpsos-

applestar
Mod

You need more troops in your GARDEN PATROL :D

Since they pupate in the ground, I think beneficial nematodes might be worth considering. This time of the year would be when you would want to apply them in Florida since you can't do it after it gets hot.

I also think straw or hay mulch would help since that would attract a whole lot of spiders that would patrol the ground. 8)

Hopefully the tomato seedlings will out grow them. Be sure to remove any affected leaf and destroy them. (Cut off/out doodles with scissors to preserve as much of the remaining leaf as possible)

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I think beneficial nematodes might be worth considering. This time of the year would be when you would want to apply them in Florida since you can't do it after it gets hot.

How would they be beneficial? Also how did this happen, this batch of seedlings was in my house the whole time?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What kind of soil are they planted in? The larvae would have been in the soil.

The nematodes would be beneficial because they would eat the eggs/larvae in the soil as opposed to other kinds of nematodes that eat plant roots.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Where can I get these "beneficial" nematodes?
What kind of soil are they planted in? The larvae would have been in the soil.

A mix of black cow and pete moss. And now that I think of it, the bags were opened and exposed to the outside elements.

applestar
Mod

Here's a list I came across (or somebody posted -- maybe HG -- I forget which :oops:) recently:
https://oardc.osu.edu/nematodes/nematode_suppliers.htm

lilcee

I live in FL and am wondering about Nematodes too. Do you apply them when you til up the garden or after you plant?

applestar
Mod

I would venture to say AFTER you till up your garden since tilling could very well kill them. I use no-till gardening techniques.

They should be applied while weather is still cooler, on misty, cloudy or overcast day -- preferably closer to evening. Covering with mulch will also protect them from the sun until they get themselves underground. Heavy rain should be avoided because they might get washed away in the surface runoff.
Last edited by applestar on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilcee

After tilling and before planting or after the plants have started growing? This is my first time using Nematodes and I'd like to know how to use them before I get them. Thanks for your help

applestar
Mod

If you would check the link I supplied, there are series of tiny links at the top of the page. Try the 2nd from the left. :wink:

I admit I didn't read it before posting earlier, but it essentially confirms what I said, and more. :wink: :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't used them, but I would apply them after tilling, but before planting so they will have time to get established and start doing their job, before you put the plants in.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

**leaf miner update**

I did the "seek and squish" on the seedlings (which are now 6+ inches tall with lots of healthy leaves) and found only a couple more leaf miners. In about 2 weeks I'm going to transplant them into 6 inch wide pots (new soil) and then they're off to the new raised garden on the side of my house........where I'll keep an eye out for the local wildlife such as (racoons, possums, cats, moles, neighborhood kids, etc.).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”