The Mad Hatter

what to choose

Good morning everyone. I want to grow some beans this year. I will be doing it in a raised bed on crop netting. How deep do I make the bed? It will be about three feet wide by about forty feet long or so.

What is the best kind of bean to grow?

I want to be able to freeze and can them. I also want em to climb so I imagine the pole type would be the best.

Any advice would be grewtly appreciated.

T.M.H.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You could plant two rows, and if they are 40 feet long, you will have buckets full of beans. I like the Jade bush beans. I have planted pole beans too. Not going to make a recommendation though. Someone who grows them every year will do that.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I do not garden in raised beds, not do I use any type of cloth or plastic.

My concern is that if you put a shield of some kind under the bed, you will effectively restrict the growth of plant roots. I don't think many have really investigated how extensive plant roots are. Here is a link to a study done on bean roots. Once you have looked it over you will be better prepared to provide what your plants need.

[url=https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137ch20.html]Click Here[/url]

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I assume that you're using the "crop netting" for the beans to climb on, since you're looking to grow pole bean varieties.
Kentucky Wonder seems to be a "standard" variety in my area; and I have had some success with those.
I have been hearing that Fortex is an excellent variety; so I am going to make it a point to try those this year.

With a 40 foot row, I would suggest that you try several different varieties... as "insurance", and to see if any of those are "standouts" for you.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I really like 'Rattlesnake' polers - they stand up to my heat very well, the pods are super long, tender and a bit sweet, and the beans also freeze well both in grain and in pod.

Canadian Farmer Guy

I've heard good things about Blue Lake pole beans.
I'm planting some in my garden this year.

CFG

The Mad Hatter

Thanks. For the replies everyone. I have been eyeballing the blue lake and the Kentucky wonder. As far as the raised bed goes I don't plan on putting plastic or fibermat under the bed. I will however use it around the outside the beds under the rock I plan on bringing in. How deep should the bed be? 18" is what I am thinking. Mostly to try to help keep my hounds out of there and for some decent looking eye candy.

T.M.H.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”