GardenRN
Greener Thumb

If anyone sells veggies

You might be interested to know. I was at a higher end grocery store yesterday and saw them selling what they called "living lettuce". It was a small head of leaf lettuce that was in a hard plastic (salad bar type) tub and still had the roots on it. It actually looked like you could just bring it home and stick it in the ground. They were charging $4 for this little head of lettuce! It was only about the size of a softball...a smaller softball at that. Crazy.

applestar
Mod

Ha! One spring, I gave my dad a head of living lettuce, dug fresh out of my garden with rootball in double handful of rich garden soil so full of worms they were wriggling out between my fingers! Bet you won't see THAT at the grocery store!! :lol:

...and I suppose only Gardeners would appreciate the true bounty of it :wink:

ElizabethH.

I know what you are talking about. Some friends of ours got into the business of growing lettuce and other greens hydroponically (sp?) in special greenhouses. They sell them exactly like you described to Earthfare and Fresh Market grocery stores. They are making a killing off of them! It really is a neat set up.

jongonz70
Newly Registered

HAHAHAA!!!! u guys r right! only a gardener would be excited about worms. that and a young boy who likes to eat em... haha. thinking about it now... I guess I never grew out of the worm phase. lol. and no I don't eat em anymore... :D

Susan W
Greener Thumb

When I was at the grocery today checked the veggies. Yes, the living lettuce which they have carried for some time. This is a head of boston lettuce, Calif grown, I presume hydroponic. Hey only $1.50 each! Not bad. Another I saw was Living Cress. This is a nice bunch of cress with roots and some dirt. Looked like a bit root bound and size as if comes from a 6 pack annual pack of flower starts. No extra binding. Hydronopic grown, from Illinois. This was at Schnucks, a St Louis based chain.

Susan

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”