GardenRN
Greener Thumb

greenhouse project pic

Alright it's a hot mess while it's under construction. But Eric thought maybe some others would enjoy the pics. Here's what I'm working on. I gathered up a bunch of trashed windows (with permission) from the dumpster of a window replacement business. They were happy to give them away for free! I built the frame of the greenhouse and I am now trying to cover it with all of these windows. I also got a french door on the front...should have gotten a pic of that. The door was in the dumpster as well.

I'm going to have to go back and do some caulking and stuff but I think it'll work well when done.

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/grnpez/Photo02071244.jpg[/img]

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Looks like a place you will enjoy when finished! Mine is only 12x16' and it faces south. Rather than an "A" type roof, I have one that slopes from north to south. The north wall is sheeting with R-26 insulation, then covered with Mylar. I also insulated along the front (about bottom two feet) and part of the sides. It made it much easier to heat last winter.

Mike

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

OK, this is what I wanted to do!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea where I would find windows though! man. Now I want to do this even more!!!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

seriously, went to a window replacement business and walked inside and asked if I could grab some out of their dumpster, they had absolutely no problem with me getting them.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jeff,

Thanks for posting the picture. If we talk more and more about greenhouses, Roger will consider a Greenhouse forum. :D

Also, Mike has the style greenhouse I was talking about in the PM.

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

greenhouses.....greenhouses....greenhouses!

:lol:

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

greenhouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... maybe I can find out where there is a window replacement place!

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Looks great! :)
Please post more pics when it's completed.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Jeff,

I do have a question: on the roof, with the windows, how are you doing to deal with rain water ponding at the bottom of each piece of glass? Just some thoughts: Silicone sealing will work to protect the wood, but it will not prevent some ponding. As it dries, pollutants in the air will mix in and you may have a problem after a year or two, maybe sooner.

Mike

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

GardenRN wrote:greenhouses.....greenhouses....greenhouses!

:lol:
Actually, I'd have to say that this one looks like an excellent example of a....glasshouse...glasshouse...glasshouse! :lol:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Pane..... pane..... pain. :shock:

I'll have to agree with Mike on the roof windows. I personally would go back and dumpster dive some sliding glass doors. I separated the glass for my greenhouse roof, but now I wish I had not. :(

Eric

The Bearded Farmer

Great start!!! I will be doing the same thing in spring, so far I've collected 35 windows.

We really need a forum for season extenders like greenhouses, coldframes, and hoophouses. 8)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

a little confused. so no windows for the roof? sliding glass doors because why? I didn't quite understand the whole ponding thing.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

That is going to be a nice green house. I like how you designed the frame so the windows hang over and nothing needs to be cut to fit.

I ran an ad on craigslist looking for free windows and got replacement windows from a house. I am planning to do the exact same thing your doing built a pressure treated wood frame then attach the windows. I do not have a door yet. I will also need 2 loover vents, fan, and thermostate. I may do what you did and get lucky and find a french door too. I can probably build a door using 2 windows.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

as far as designing the frame so that the windows hung over and nothing needed to be cut...that was luck and guess and check with the different windows. I originally had it covered with plastic, but the plastic couldn't stand up to the summer sun and I'm not messing with that every year. But the windows are all different sizes so I am kinda fitting as I go along.

As far as for the pooling of water on the windows....most of these are pretty old windows. The grills on the windows are much smaller on one side than the other. I am putting the smaller side up so that it allows less pooling. Also, after everything is put together I am going back to re-caulk all of the panes and in between the widows. After that, a nice coat of outdoor primer will help the wooden parts continue to hold up to the weather. The little bit of pooling that will occur after that is just something that'll have to happen. It will evaporate quickly enough I think. The trick will be climbing up there to windex the windows a few times a year :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

a little confused. so no windows for the roof? sliding glass doors because why? I didn't quite understand the whole ponding thing.
sheeshshe,

Did gardenRN answer your question? Basically all the divider frames will collect water and gunk. I chose sliding glass doors because they cover larger area and are made of safety glass. One smooth plane with few joints. Much easier to clean. :wink:
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Greenhouse%20Photos/Toolshed-Greenhouse032.jpg[/img]

Eric

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ahhh, that makes sense. gotcha!

so then, where does one find sliding glass doors :lol: :lol: :lol:

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

ha...I guess a door replacement shop! lol

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

buahahaha

nes
Green Thumb

This is so smart!
I can't wait to see the finished project!

Hubby is in the construction industry and coming across tossed windows is NOT hard (actually coming across tossed anything is not hard), I may have to get him to build me one as well. :shock:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Out here we are encouraged to install energy-efficient windows and doors. So out with the aluminum frames and in, usually with the vinyl.

Windows and glass doors are pretty easy to round up. Call all your local glass shops :D

Eric

lily51
Greener Thumb

:D Love the greenhouse. Love the idea of a greenhouse forum!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”