sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

which swiss chard?

I've never tried swiss chard before so I have no idea what I'm looking for, which one of these would you pick?

https://www.superseeds.com/products.php ... ss%20chard

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:I've never tried swiss chard before so I have no idea what I'm looking for, which one of these would you pick?

https://www.superseeds.com/products.php ... ss%20chard
This fall and just about every fall in my garden I have Bright Lights and Fordhook. They both grow nicely, produce a lot and the Bright Lights adds a good bit of color to salads with the gold and red veining. I find it is one of the last salad type greens to bolt when the weather gets hot.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'll second the Bright lights. Many colors. Red, yellow, white, pink, etc all in the same packet.

This is Bright lights on the left.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Farmers%20Market%20Produce/DSC02768.jpg[/img]

Eric

lorax
Greener Thumb

In my heat, the winner hands down is Ruby Red (similar to Rhubarb Chard) - Bright Lights kicked the bucket after a recent heatwave (up to 40 C for several days), but the Ruby kept soldiering on.

I have always preferred the coloured variants to the white when it comes to Chard, but that's just me. I pine for the golden types (like Fantasia) I used to grow in Canada, as they were sweet enough to eat the stems raw in salads.

soil
Greener Thumb

not sure which chard I have but I love them, plant in the right spot and youll have chard for years. I have one in my greenhouse that is going on 4 years old this summer. only bolted once. gives me tasty greens on a daily basis if I want.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

soil wrote:not sure which chard I have but I love them, plant in the right spot and youll have chard for years. I have one in my greenhouse that is going on 4 years old this summer. only bolted once. gives me tasty greens on a daily basis if I want.
OK, so I am clearly clueless :lol: :lol: :lol: you pick it and it comes back?? I really know nothing about the stuff, I just know you all recommended it to me so I'm getting some HAHA

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

flavor wise, how is the bright lights?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

flavor wise, how is the bright lights
I find it vary tasty and so do my customers. :D

Eric

applestar
Mod

I was looking over Thompson and Morgan catalog as on the cover is an offer for free shipping no minimum that expires today, and I came across this in the description for Rhubarb Swiss Chard 8)
If the plants are left to flower, the flower stalks can be cooked and eaten like sprouting broccoli.
https://www.tmseeds.com/product/Swiss-Chard-Rhubarb/Shop_Vegetable_and_Herb_Seed

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You can ignore this if you want to, Sheeshshe, but Applestar brought up Thompson & Morgan and I can't help myself :wink: .

If you like beet greens better than chard, Thompson & Morgan have [url=https://www.tmseeds.com/product/Spinach-Perpetual/Shop_Vegetable_and_Herb_Seed]Perpetual Spinach.[/url]

Same family . . . chard/beet . . . I've bought it from T&M but have seed from Fedco this year :) . It lasts all summer in my garden and can be harvested cut and come again, just like chard.

Steve :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I tried bright lights and had great success with it. I planted early spring and they grew all season long and even past the first few frosts. They are also quite tolerant to the heat.

applestar
Mod

Look, digitS', I'm TRYING not to buy any seeds this year, OK? :roll:
Managed to succeed in resisting the temptation of T&M and now you bring THIS up! :x :? ...AND remind me of a great source like Fedco :evil:

:kidding:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The RED Swiss Chard is the best. There is a world of differents between the RED and the Green or Yellow it has the best taste many times better. It makes an excellent salad all by itself and it is great on any sandwich. You can cook it like spinash if you want but I never do I just wash it in cold water then eat it. I plant Burpee's Rhubarb Chard from seeds. My package is of seed is 5 years old I only plant a about 15 seeds every years. It will winter over if it does not get too cold. Put a fish aquarium upside down over the plants they will live all winter.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soil
Greener Thumb

OK, so I am clearly clueless Laughing Laughing Laughing you pick it and it comes back?? I really know nothing about the stuff, I just know you all recommended it to me so I'm getting some HAHA
yup just like marlingardener said. pick the outer leaves for a continual harvest. after a year of picking it decided to flower, so I let it. collected the seeds, chopped it back down. it re grew and I have been picking 3-4 times a week since then.

also another benefit of older plants is less water use. I haven't had to water that plant since its first year. for over 2 years now it thrives on neglect.

the leaves are a bit smaller than the first year though. but a small price to pay.

Odd Duck

Another vote for Bright Lights here. Mine does well over the winter, will survive the heat but does get bitter, so I only cook with it when it's hot, otherwise I'm more likely to eat it raw. "Rhubarb" bolted sooner for me than the BL, it took 3 years for the BL to bolt the first time I planted it.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ok, I think I"ll try the bright lights! they look cool too! thanks guys!

I really need to get my act together and ORDER!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I really need to get my act together and ORDER!
I think you should get your order together and act!

:D Eric

erlyberd
Cool Member

Doubledog, Looks like some red russian in that mix!

I've had good luck with Fordhook.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Doubledog, Looks like some red russian in that mix
Yes, You have a birds eye too. :D

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”