sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I don't want to order from 3 places

its bugging me. I can't find one place that has all the varieties of seeds that I want. is this common or am I just too picky? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Is both an option? I think both... :wink:

HG

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

LOL!!!

bah. I'm going to just have to settle I think. I need or order like, yesterday. I am trying to resist from buying from Park since last time I did that everything was back ordered and it set me back. But they have a big selection! I really want to buy local :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Johnny's Selected Seeds (in Maine)?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I'm looking at Johnnys, Fedco, and super seeds. all in maine 8) actually, I'm trying to see if I can just pick up at super seeds since its relatively close and I could get some rasp plants as well! their prices are some of the best I've seen for all of their things.

I'm just having trouble finding certain varieites of things.

TWC015

I've used all three companies and would recommend all of them.

I use Fedco for most of my vegetable seeds. They have excellent prices and a good selection. Also, if you spend at least $30, shipping is free. If I was in your position, I would order most of the seeds from them. The only minor complaint I have is that I usually have a few items placed on backorder that were stated as in stock when I order them. This does not cause any problems for me, though, because I order early enough.

I don't really use Johnny's for seeds because they are too expensive for me. Similar items are usually much cheaper at Fedco.

Super Seeds is also good; I bought mostly flowers from them though. They also have good prices. They are good for very small amounts of seed; when they say 15 seeds, they mean it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I buy seeds locally. Prices are better and no postage/handling.
Farm stores, nurseries, and garden stores usually have seeds, and the big box stores too. At least in this area. Its worth looking around locally.

TWC015

I have a local seed store that has 75 cent seed packs with very large amounts of seed -- much more than mail order. I try to get seeds from them if I can. The only problem I find is that there is not much selection locally (at least for me). There is usually only one type of plant and they are the common types. I also grow some vegetables that most people around here don't such as cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. Most people in my area grow mustards in the winter and squash, tomatoes, corn, and okra in the summer. I want different varieties. I don't like buying from wal-mart and places because the seeds are about the same price as online and there is more selection online.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The local farm supply store in my town has all there bulk seeds in stock. 1/4, 1/2 and 1 lb bags of seeds. Prices are about $2 per lb.

A 1/4 lb bag of radishes and carrots will grow enough for an army of people. Plant a few seeds from the bag every year for the next 5 years.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Remember that a lot of seed companies name their seeds something different from the next guy. So what might be called calypso beans in the burpee catalog, is called ying yang beans in the park seed catalog. I have seen this a lot. Pay close enough attention and you can probably get more of what you want than what you think.

ozark_rocks

Have you looked at eGardenersPlace.com? It lets you order from six different company's and pay one shipping fee for the order. I hate having to pay more than one shipping fee,because I'd rather spend the money on seeds.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Just to note, Johnny's (Winslow, ME) and Fedco (Waterville, ME) are almost next door to each other and Pinetree Garden Seeds (super seeds) isn't that far away in New Gloucester, ME.

I buy seeds I can't get elsewhere from Johnny's - in my mailbox 2 days later. This year Pinetree Garden Seeds (superseeds) got the bulk of my order - delivery was 3-4 business days. Small seed packets at a great price, nice selection. Shipping is quite reasonable. One of the items I ordered was not going to be available so they called to offer me another choice and then sent two packets of the alternate item.

I also purchase seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co (rareseeds.com) where you have an amazing selection, $3 shipping no matter how many seeds you buy, and the service is fantastic. Delivery was 2 days!!! Very good prices for a regular size packet. And if you haven't ever seen one of their catalogs, you should request one just for the sake of holding one of the most beautiful seeds catalogs you will ever find. They recently purchased Comstock seeds and that catalog is smaller, has different seeds but is equally beautiful.

Two catalogs I like just for reference is Johnny's and Stokes. Both are filled with "How to" and so much info you almost can't go wrong with growing from seed.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I love Baker Creek and Johnnys, :D the previous post about their catalog, I couldn't agree more, they put so much time and effort into it and the descriptions are fantatsic, - it is like reading a story book at night. I can say Johnnys is a close second for me. I like Johnnys as a beginner gardener because to me they give alot of planting hints, I need that. I have ordered from both, I am very happy - they are super fast. In fact I ordered from Baker Creek today. The worst were Harveys/Gurneys live and learn, they took forever. I could have planted and replanted by the time I got my seeds. Park is also nice, but the selection for me at the other two is great. Thats me, I like trying different things and seeing what works best. I actually have had success with pretty much all the seeds I plant - germinating at least, it is what I do to the plant after that probably kills it. :wink:

grondeau

Best to start saving seeds. Before you know it, you will have just about everything you want in your collection. And then to get rid of all the extra seed you save - you have to go to seed swaps where you can find what you didn't save yourself! :lol:

soil
Greener Thumb

Best to start saving seeds. Before you know it, you will have just about everything you want in your collection. And then to get rid of all the extra seed you save - you have to go to seed swaps where you can find what you didn't save yourself!
yup! nothing like growing home saved seed, or locally saved seed.

there's also nothing wrong with buying a seed pack every now and then to add to the home saved diversity. but homegrown seeds will grow better I'm sure of it.

erlyberd
Cool Member

Totally normal for the seasoned gardener. Once you go all OP/heirloom your orders will shrink though and while your wallet grows. Its sometimes a challenge getting all the varities you want to try. It sucks when you place an order because that one place is the only one to carry a particular variety. Have you tried seed exchanges? I've gotten lots of good stuff though trades.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”