Frustratedatheist
Newly Registered

Sandy, gently sloping soil in South Jersey

I recently bought a home in South Jersey, and will be starting some extensive gardening in the spring. The previous owners didn't do much, but previously had a pool which basically killed and resemblence to a lawn that my yard once had. The soil throughout is very sandy, and almost full sun during the day. Also, from the back of the yard up to the house most of the yard slopes down. I'd say across 10 - 15 feet the height drops 2-3 feet.

My first thought is to dig down at one end, install some railroad ties and level out the location I am setting aside for my garden. I can dig, and level some land out, but I am concerned I may miss some useful, and important step in this process. Plus since I am starting with a blank slate, why not do it right and really set it up to be a nice area for a vegetable garden?

I also have 2 dog's, one a Husky, and another an English pointer. I am sure it will at one point be a concern to keep them out of the Garden. My initial thoughts on this subject is surrounding the garden with a series of rose bushes. which would discourage them from entering, but I am not sure if this would actually effective and I should just get a small fence to keep them at bay.

My plan is to grow lot's of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, and whetever else grabs my attention when I go looking for plants to fill my garden.

If anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Frustra,

I'm trying to get the lay of the land in my head. If you are standing at your back door, is the slop up hill or down hill away from the house? I'm thinking you are say a ball would roll away from the house.

Also when you are looking out the back door are you looking south or ....

Eric

Frustratedatheist
Newly Registered

The house sit's at the lower end of the slope, and it slopes upward as you approach the rear fence. I'm pretty sure my back door faces mostly east. Also the back fence has a series of trees along it, the only trees in the yard.

From the rear of the house it is roughly 60 feet to the rear fence. The difference in grade from the door to the fence is at most three feet, which basically makes it noticable enough to be an issue, but not so much that it begins to appear dramatic.

If it helps you get a visual I have a medium sized shed 3/4 of the way toward the rear fence sitting on a small concrete slab, privacy fencing all the way around, and a large oval sandy area where the an above ground swimming pool used to be. That's pretty much it back there.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”