RuHappy69

best options for a small garden?

My garden will be in year 3 and its only about 6.5' x 11' adjacent to a shed. I also have a full trellis on the shed wall that abuts the garden. On the trellis I usually do cucumbers and string beans. Last year I just had too much stuff in a small space and it looked like a jungle. Last year was Eggplant, Broccoli, squash, variety of peppers, cherry tomatoes (way too many) Basil, Parsley and along the entire perimeter (inside my 3 foot rabbit fence) was garlic and onion.. I know, sounds like a lot. Once the main shoots of the broccoli bloomed and were cut their size didn't justify their yield so they were cut out. Eggplant not great, got some good squash but that petered out (great zucchini bread). Peppers were OK, not great. Cherry toms we very abundant but only my daughter eats them so we were drowning in them. String beans were much better later than early but we didn't like the taste very much (Kentucky Wonder). Cukes were pretty bad, didn't get very many at all.[https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2061839&id=1517494794&l=a6ca0a54d3]
[/url]
Last edited by RuHappy69 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RuHappy69

if you look at the link at the bottom of my post you'll see last years garden.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I know how you feel. I've packed 'em in close and received the lower yield and some of the diseases others have spoken of. I've also noticed that some plants like greens, onions, garlic, radishes, etc. tend to tolerate crowding better than do crops like squash, tomatoes, and (to a better degree) peppers.

I've mused over the concept of weather more plants give a higher yield overall due to more plants or if few plants would yield higher with more to a plant? I kind of think that you will get better overall with more plants from one study I read on tomatoes planted at different distances (that was on a large scale).

Now, lately I've been thinking that if you garden in beds which you do not walk in or till and merely put compost on and mulch, you will all the fertility (and biology) to greatly increase over time and this will allow you to plant closer and still get a good harvest.

Also, you could try growing some plants in containers on porches or patios.

Another thing to try is to remove any crops that just don't do it for you and that take up a lot of space. Broccoli harvests too small? Skip them this year. Too many cherry tomatoes? Plant a few less.

Oh, and then there's always making the garden bigger :wink:.

Hydroponics
Cool Member

You can even move your herbs to a sunny window sill inside if you want to make more room outside. Is it possible to expand your garden a little bit so you can keep more?

You can also consider container gardening where you don't have naturally good soil.

Outdoor hydroponics yield really well if you are interested in a mini green-house. There are a lot of options for getting more out of your space.

mansgirl

I would definitely agree on the container gardening. I've found that peppers are pretty derned happy in a container, especially if started there. I've never tried a bell pepper in a container however, just the smaller pepper plants like habenero and red chili's.

I had the same problem in my garden with broccoli. To much room, not enough yield, and UGH.. the bugs!! All in all, for me, much easier to buy in the store. : )

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I can see already that we should start classes early this year. Maybe there is hope for some PETC-aholics out there.

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26392&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=petc&start=0[/url]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”