jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Price of veggies

A trip through the produce department of a super market today made me want to go plant a garden. My goodness things are high priced.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

A head of organic Romaine is $1.99 here now. UNREAL !

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Its too bad that the price of oil effects the price of produce so much!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I know what you mean Jal. It's even worse living on an island. Makes me want a much bigger greenhouse. Grow more vegetables and maybe fish, year around.
Its too bad that the price of oil effects the price of produce so much!
It's also to bad we are fighting two wars for our gluttony for it.

It's not only oil, it's turning our food into ethanol. More and more land is producing fuel not food.

We could also talk about subsidies.

Eric

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Oil, subsidies...yeah, they sure don't help. But I saw a price the other day that absolutely made my jaw drop. And it had very little to do with either oil *or* subsidies. :x

Admittedly, I was in a "chez d'elegance" type of grocery store, but even so....

Let's set the stage: The S.F. Bay Area had a very cold summer (record-breaking cold), we've had a fairly wet winter (normal), but it's been mostly dry since mid-January. These are conditions in which my leafy greens are very happy, thriving and outdoing one another to appear robust and nutritious: bok choy, chard (red and white), kale (red Russian and nero Toscana), spinach, broccoli, chicory, and arugula. I'm missing a few faves, but late September/all of October/early November were very rushed, what with Vergil's problems and me getting ready for surgery.

So there I am at "chez d'elegance" to purchase/look for chervil (which not even they had! :shock:), and what do my stunned eyes behold?

"Arugula - $5.99/lb"

That stuff probably hasn't traveled more than 30 or so MILES! It could have been transported by bicycle! The price of oil hasn't affected the arugula! More like the price of GREED! It was just a fluke that we planted it last October: our usual nursery was out of several plants we wanted to grow, and we weren't going to have time to do them from seed, so we bought what they had. Arugula was one of them.

So when I came home and told DH that "arugula is $5.99/lb at ___, so we are by G-d going to eat every leaf of those plants we possibly can!" he said, "What?!" at the price. "Yep, six dollars a pound."

Now he doesn't find my "economics of gardening" quite as quaint as he did; $6/lb finally got his attention. 8)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

garden5
Super Green Thumb

How about 3.99lb. for "heirloom tomatoes"....in the middle of summertime.

My purple bell peppers weren't really a hit last year, but then we saw that they were 3.99lb, even more than the red ones!

If you all want to see the retail value of what a garden can produce, here's a story on [url=https://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/Square-Foot-Gardening-Food.aspx]Growing $700 of Food in 100 Sq. Ft.[/url].

Admittedly, this lady had a very long growing season, but I think it points how how much we can really save by growing a garden.

And now we will continue with the winter meeting of the Helpful Gardener chapter of the Cheepoe's Club :lol:.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:A trip through the produce department of a super market today made me want to go plant a garden. My goodness things are high priced.

Bell peppers in New Orleans are about $.90 each, cucumbers are $.75 each, tomatoes that look like the plastic fruit in your granny's house in 1960 are $2.60 a lb.--------simply ridiculous. I mostly buy fruit, corn and potatoes at the store now for my produce purchases. I won't grow corn or taters since corn takes up lots of space and spuds are too cheap in the markets to warrant growing them.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Shock is more the word that I use for the way prices are rising!

I asked my hubby to stop and get apples and oranges, along with a few other items.

Just a 3 pound bag of apples and a 3 pound bag of tangerines was $10.00.

I couldn't believe the package of hamburger, 20% fat, was over $4.00 per pound... we are not talking ground steak here!

He stuck to the list that I gave him, which normally would be about $30.00 and it went over $50.00!

And the head of "lettuce" was fist sized, and dark green, not even grown up yet... for over $1.00. It was just iceberg lettuce, but 1/3 the normal size.

I had already gotten used to the "shock" of every week prices appear to double... hubby had not been shopping.

Definitely, our gardens are going to be very necessary to grow and store all that we can. And we need to take it a step farther and keep some items growing on inside shelves year round, like lettuce, radishes, green onions, etc.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The cost of my CSA did NOT go up this year from last year. $250 for all the veggies the two of us can eat from about May 1 to Nov 1, plus some left over to freeze or can. The farm grows 30 different kinds of veggies all totally organic, locally grown. We do not eat any other veggies during the season, just what we get from the CSA farm or our little garden.

More people should look into this, for all those of us who don't have room to grow a significant part of our own food.

Here's a website to find a CSA near you:

https://www.localharvest.org/

soil
Greener Thumb

try buying asparagus out of season. yikes!

soil
Greener Thumb

6$ for arugula, damn. that stuff grows like a weed. no care at all from humans other than harvesting is needed, self seeds too.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Marlingardener, one of my dreams (I'm only a patio gardener) is to have a big garden and fruit trees and share the wealth.
I know that several gardeners here and on other forums grow and give.
Hey ! That's what I'll name my dream garden ! I just thought of it.
"Grow and Give Garden". :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

We are fortunate in that we can decide whether or not to spend $6 for a pound of arugula, $1 for a head of iceberg lettuce, 75 cents for a cucumber. There are many who don't have that choice and are living on pasta, cheap cereal, and whatever the food pantry has enough of to distribute.
When we are planning and planting our gardens this year, perhaps we could put in a row or two, or a block, or a container, of vegetables to donate to the local food pantry or a church kitchen that feeds the hungry. We gardeners will benefit both from the joy of growing, and the joy of sharing.
There is / was a government program for free hoophouses. I believe these are 12ft x 20ft. Your end of the bargain is to give away 20% of your produce to food banks and other organizations. This may be in Washington state only, but I would check into it.

Eric

greenstubbs

I hear you folks loud and clear! I'm hoping for a bumper crop out of the garden this yr. as last was really goofy here in the N.E. Bay area. Everybody I know had problems all due to inconsistant weather in the spring and early summer. I can't wait to retire and get the heck outta California! Sure it's got a great climate and it is beautiful but it's just completely messed up. Lookin at getting as many acres as I can and build a GH, have some chickens, rabbits, A cow, pig, a lamb or 2 and whatever and just be my own comune hippy and be as self sustaining as I can. I just can't believe the price of cow in the grocery, so I eat alot of chicken and pig. $3 @ lb. is my limit on any meat.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

All good reasons to keep doing what we do. When I see those crazy prices I'm just glad I rarely have to pay them. Unlike people who just buy everything.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

How about the price of beets? And you only get like 3 or 4 beets to a bunch! The best part of it is that one of my garden ones is about twice the size of one from the buch.

.....Oh, and don't even get me started on how much it is for a little pack of blueberries.

RBG, when you say all you can eat, are you speaking literally? That is, could you go in and pick a bushel of tomatoes for sauce making and a 15 winter squash to store over the winter?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Buying blueberries at this time of year *should* be expensive, IMHO. They're out of season by six months, being flown in from South America, where they're probably grown by people who don't have a hope in Hades of eating such goods themselves.

(Just so you know where I'm coming from: I purchase U.S.-grown produce always, except for mangoes and bananas, which the U.S. doesn't grow. Too many produce contamination episodes, even IN the U.S., to want to go looking for them, plus supporting U.S. farmers. And we're on a narrow budget in this house due to Vergil's medical expenses, so eating in-season produce beyond what we can grow in our 96 sq.ft. is a good way of keeping expenses down; THAT is why the expen$ive arugula surprised me--Jan/Feb is absolutely the peak of its season.)

Beets are a late fall/winter vegetable and can be grown under some pretty adverse circumstances; how much does a bunch (3 or 4) of beets cost in Ohio right now?

Cynthia

Canadian Farmer Guy

I'm hoping to sell organic veggies to my neighbours this year.
Looks like there's a good market for it. :D

But yes, food is expensive, and it's not the farmers who are benefitting from it, it's Wal-Mart.
Many of my neighbours and family are farmers,
and so many of them are in debt and barely able to pay the bills, it's so sad.

So support your local farmers!

CFG

greenstubbs

garden5 wrote:How about the price of beets? And you only get like 3 or 4 beets to a bunch! The best part of it is that one of my garden ones is about twice the size of one from the buch.
The same applies to kohlrobi's as well. A buck a pop is waaaaaaaaaay outta line for beets and/or kohlrobis! Besides, homegrowns are tastier!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Support farming? ABSOLUTELY !!!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Many facets to this situation. Agree with above post that we pay dearly for beets. tomatoes etc, when totally NOT in season to home territory. Dah! Grown elsewhere and shipped in.
As for veggies in the down time, I go to the frozen shelf usually. I got 1# pack of baby limas today for $1 ( on ad). Usually frozen veggies are fresh right from picking processed. I do get cauliflower and brocoli off the produce aisle.
At one time, for about 3 yrs when we lived in Southern IL, had 2 little ones, had a grand garden. What I didn't grow, bought bushels of peaches, apples etc from the local orchards. I had time at home with the 2 babies and no money, hubs in school.
Times and all change. I frequent the farmers market during the season. Stuff isn't cheaper, but fresher and local. (hope to be part of one this season with the herbs). With just one of me, don't grow the veggies. I may expand a bit again, as space and time permit.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Here in Vermont, everything is so expensive and groceries are no exception. I buy many bulk food items at the local health food store because they have a good variety and I can buy only what I need. Spices are the ultimate bargain when purchased in bulk.

We have a small garden and put away what we don't eat. We have given up a bit more lawn each year to increase the amount of veggies we can produce on our own. We grow herbs that we really like for fresh use.

Veggies we can't grow, we buy at some of our local farm stands (our farmers market is ridiculous for prices). We have found several that have amazing prices so I can get fresh food for little money and we are supporting our local farmers. As well, we have a chance to try new varieties before growing them in our garden.

It is a shame that food is so expensive and that the worst food is the cheapest. When my children were young, we only occassionally ate a hamburger out even though the kids meals were almost free (they are in their 30s now). Today, it is still cheaper to take children out for burger and fries than to make them at home. That shouldn't be.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

gardenvt wrote:It is a shame that food is so expensive and that the worst food is the cheapest. When my children were young, we only occassionally ate a hamburger out even though the kids meals were almost free (they are in their 30s now). Today, it is still cheaper to take children out for burger and fries than to make them at home. That shouldn't be.
This is because organic healthy foods are still the minority. When people make the switch and decide they are not going to eat junk anymore, more farmers will be forced to go organic, cheap mystery meat burgers won't sell, there will be more availability and the price will come down.

It's just supply and demand.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

and the price will come down
Jeff,

not sure, it's as simple as supply and demand.

Eric

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

GardenRN wrote:It's just supply and demand.
That's not the whole story by any means.

1) Organic produce is more labor-intensive to grow than conventional produce. The organic grower can't just send one or two people out with spray equipment to kill everything that isn't Plant X, the desired crop. Real knowledge is required: what predator insects are needed to attack the insects that are eating Plant X, and how can we attract them? What controls can I use against the diseases that are attacking Plant X? And this is, of course, *after* identifying the disease/insect attacking Plant X. Not only the grower, but the grower's helpers, must share in this knowledge.

Additionally, at least in California, when a grower decides to convert from conventional to organic methods, there is a three-year period during which his/her soil is considered "non-organic." No certificate. The term "natural" can be used, as in "grown naturally," but three years is a long time to use such a vitiated phrase....

Much more complex and time-intensive than "here, go spray the [broccoli / peppers / strawberries ]."

2) The U.S. government (for U.S. members) provides very large subsidies to the very large agribusinesses which grow certain favored commodity crops. Let's use corn as an example. Corn syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, cornmeal, corn fractions, corn flour, cornstarch; all of these products' prices are much lower than they would be in a true Supply/Demand market because of the subsidies. Therefore, they tend to displace other, possibly more nutritious, alternatives with cheaper, less nutritious "foods."

Those who want to feed their families wholesome foods at a reasonable rate need to become sleuths as to where, when, and how wholesome foods are available at good prices.

For some (I'll use my own kitchen as my example), it's a matter of knowing how to 1) cook from scratch, 2) cook only with in-season produce, both fruit and vegetable, and 3) grow what we can on our golly gee! 96 sq. ft. of raised beds. One of the factors in our choice of this house was the availability of a nearby, independent produce market with a sideline of groceries. The store's produce is sold at approx. 50% to 66% markup over wholesale (supermarkets are generally 100% over wholesale, or double the wholesale price), while his groceries are at least 100% over wholesale. I buy produce and *some* other fresh foods (e.g., milk) from this store.

I cook almost everything from scratch. This includes chicken stock; I must limit my sodium intake to 1,000 mg/day or less, so chicken stock without sodium is a must. I've made my own chicken stock since the day in college when I figured out the connection between sodium and migraines. Often I buy bread, but when I can, I make it. Less sodium, plus--who can resist fresh bread? Even DH will eat a meal based on fresh-baked bread!

Those gardeners with large gardens perhaps can grow enough to can, freeze, and preserve in other ways enough tomatoes and other veggies/fruits to over-winter their families until spring veggies start to come in. I can't foresee that happening for us, sadly. But once you have a skill (canning), you own it forever, so whenever I luck up into an excellent deal (a few years ago, during the tomato/salmonella episode, our produce store was selling California-grown Roma tomatoes at $1/20-lb box! even though the questionable tomatoes had been grown in Florida), I make spaghetti sauce or whatever makes sense.

If you qualify, do not hesitate to apply for USDA food assistance or at local food banks. When you were better off, your taxes supported the USDA program, and you probably donated to privately run food banks. Do not feel guilty for needing their services now. (I had to give this pep talk to my own sister two years ago.) I've been buying *only* the supermarket specials for a couple of years now. If something is full price, it stays on the shelf until it goes on sale. Pay attention to those circulars that show up as junk mail in your mailbox; they really can save you money, if you learn how to use them wisely.

Look for opportunities wherever and whenever they present themselves. Reframe your search (if this works for you) as "Foraging" or "Sleuthing" or whatever activity excites your mind the most. It's the most important game you'll ever play--feeding your family/household the best food you can for the least amount of money.

Cynthia
Last edited by cynthia_h on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Maybe I didn't come across correctly. The price won't be as low as a McDonald's burger. And there probably won't be an organic dollar menu. But the price will come down from what it is.

Let's say there are 100 farmers all growing veggies. But only 5 of them are growing organically. Well not only are production costs higher for them than for the other 95 farmers, but they can mark it up because they can only produce enough food for 100 people, but 1,000 people want organic veggies.

I know there are more factors. But it's gonna take more Americans committing to a healthier diet before anything will move. If we buy it, they will make it available. If they can't sell it, they'll stop making it. If enough people switched to organic only diets, the other types of farms would have to convert their methods because they would not be able to sell enough to be profitable.

I just hate the way in this country we expect the government to make all the changes and for us not to have to do any of the leg work. "we want organic"...poof it's organic. "we want a better economy" poof it's done. People just don't take action to help themselves in this country.

But now I think I may be about to cross a politics line that I understand is not to be crossed on this forum and I respect that. So I will leave it at that and walk away.

My advice would be...as I saw on someone's signature quote on here, "be the change you wish to see in this world"-Gandhi.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Cynthia and Jeff,

Well said.

I'll only add, we need to stop buying cheap food that is imported from Africa, Central American, etc....

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Thanks Cynthia and Jeff,

Well said.

I'll only add, we need to stop buying cheap food that is imported from Africa, Central American, etc....

Eric
I'm still struggling with that one. I believe we all need to learn to eat more locally, because the time is coming when we won't be able to afford to eat food that has been shipped 1500 miles. And it is better for the planet.

So May to November I eat only veggies from my local CSA farm or my garden. But does that mean I never get to eat a banana again, since they don't grow any where near my location here in the frozen tundras of the north? And I have trouble putting by anywhere near enough food to keep us through the winter, would need a lot more freezer/ cupboard space and to spend a lot more time at it. And how would I get any salad (the basis of my diet) all winter?

I keep working on living greener, but I don't have it all solved yet,

lorax
Greener Thumb

Eric, that's all well and good, but here's a question for you:

What percentage of a typical Latin American country's income is produced by exporting food?

Answer: in Ecuador's case, at least 85% (much of it from bananas and broccoli, although we also export our fair share of other tropical fruits).

On the upside, my country is also food-sovereign (meaning that if we stopped importing all food tomorrow, we wouldn't starve, the variety would simply be less), which is more than can be said for many other countries in the world - the US and Canada included.

Cynthia: if only the US would adopt the Latin American subsidy model - here, the government subsidizes the staple crops: rice, potatoes, quinoa, tomato (tree and slicing), oats and barley. The "cash" crops; cacao, banana, coffee, mango, pineapple, broccoli, etc; are not subsidized at all and if you decide to convert a field from a staple to a cash crop, you actually have to pay the government. There's also a new program starting up to encourage mixed cropping of traditional varieties as well - which bodes well for my favourite tubers (Mashua, Ullcu, and Melloco). Additionally, it's actually unconstitutional to do anything agriculturally that would threaten the food soveriegnty of the country. This is generally interpreted as anything that would hurt family farms or increase exports beyond their current levels.

---

This said, I've been reluctant to join this thread simply because even here where the bulk of domestic produce is grown organically (farmers can't afford pesticides/herbicides/complex ferts) the price of food is still ridiculously low. I'm hard-pressed to spend $30 a week on all of my fresh everythings, and I'm eating an astounding variety of things that are all grown within about a 30 km radius of my house. When jungle fruit comes into season, I widen my radius to 50 km.

---

RBG - you can indeed have bananas, you've just got to grow them yourself. The Dwarf cultivars (D. Cavendish, D. Red, D. Orinoco, etc.) were designed with you in mind, in fact - they're ideal for potted culture and can be grown year-round in the home.

Lettuce can also be grown in pots like houseplants (I used to do it all through the Canadian winters, because I refused to pay $1.50 a head for sad-looking imports :shock:)

There's my 2 cents from a developing nation.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

The high prices and the current economic situation is why I named my garden the "Recession Garden".

gardenvt
Green Thumb

My point about unhealthy food (fast food kids meals) was that it should be cheaper to make those same burgers at home.

Unhealthy food consists of chips, packaged foods, canned foods, junk food, etc. It is cheaper to buy this junk than buy healthy food that includes vegetables, legumes, whole grains, fruit, lean meats and fish without all that salt, sugar and saturated & trans fat.

Buying seasonal foods is always less expensive but still much more expensive than junk food.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Where you really start to see your garden pay off is when you look at the prices not only of the "standard/conventional" vegetables, but also of the organic ones. The savings, of course, assume you have an organic garden.

Oh, and FB, your recession garden is aptly named....since by saving so much money you are not putting as much into the economy...so you are continuing the recession :lol: :p. However, you are also benefiting the environment...as well as your wallet :wink:.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:by saving so much money you are not putting as much into the economy...so you are continuing the recession
Au contraire: this frugal approach frees him up to spend his saved money elsewhere, perhaps for other necessities he couldn't afford previously. Or perhaps for a few discretionary items. In any case, "charity begins at home," and if we can't be charitable to ourselves, who can we help???

Gardening benefits us, pollinators, subterranean life forms, and an entire web of life. It's much greater than simply saving money on veggies, although that's the most direct and--for many--needed benefit. Organic veggies are still very expensive and, when available, may not be the varieties we prefer. "Growing your own" ensures that the veggies/herbs/fruit will be as organic as you can deal with *and* the varieties you prefer.

Cynthia

rootsy
Green Thumb

Why are prices so high? Inflation, quantitative easing, so on and so forth... all devaluation of the dollar which equals decreased purchasing power for the same currency...

gardenvt
Green Thumb

For me, gardening is my way of ensuring that our produce is grown in the healthiest possible way. I also buy local and preferably from an organic farm. Cooking from scratch takes time but our meals are healthier than pre-cooked deli, restaurant or packaged goods.

I find local, organic meats are too expensive. I can't imagine eating a 10-12# turkey that costs $60 or a small chicken at $10-15. I'm sure it is the best around but I can't bring myself to pay that much.

I don't believe that everything organic is necessarily healthy. There are a lot of organic packaged/canned/baked foods that contain lots of sugar, salt and unhealthy fats.

In the summer, we really enjoy eating from our garden. Each year we add more varieties and put up the harvest by freezing or dehydrating. We also enjoy our local farmstands (I find the Farmers Markets too expensive) where the produce is fresh, there are offerings of local maple syrup or honey and the opportunity to try new veggies before we plant them in our garden.

Last year, we found chioggia beets, new eggplant varieties, cucumbers & peppers that we will grow in our garden this year. Buying fresh onions, shallots and leeks (at prices lower than the grocery store) helped me decide that I needed to grow them as well. We also grow a nice variety of herbs which is wonderful since we don't use salt.

All that said, I'm hoping for a good gardening year and keeping more of the change for other good things.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

gardenvt, I could have written that post. I too cook for my family and just about all of the food I cook is from scratch. I use as much of my own produce and supplement it with stuff from roadside stands or the local market when needed. Two of our local markets sell produce grown here in our area and that is my choice when available.

My wife and I were in Whole Foods the other day since I got a $25 gift certificate from our son. I picked up a "free range" chicken and it was only $18 and change for a 5 lb. bird---------I think not!!! We stuck mainly to the fruit and produce section followed by the rice, quinoa, and a couple other whole grains. By checkout time, it came to just over $41 for 1 paper sack of food. I'm not completely sold on the whole organic thing either, but I know there are others here that have bought into it lock stock and barrel----and that is their choice.

I have expanded my garden a bit the past 2 years and did so again this year by one more row. I'm running out of yard at this point so it is now as large as my back yard can accommodate. I'm now waiting for my youngest to finish college, put the house up for sale and head to the country. I just hope my health is as good as it is now since I'll be close to 60 by the time that happens.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm now waiting for my youngest to finish college, put the house up for sale and head to the country.
Make sure you have the lock, stock, barrel and dry powder. You may need it. :wink:

Eric

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Gumbo, we'd welcome you with open arms here in Texas! Shall I start looking for a small acreage with a livable house nearby? You would make a great neighbor!
I have 2 sisters that moved to "Yikes" Oklahoma and have been there for just over 2 years now. One is already tired of the much colder winters than we experience here in SE La. I only put in the Yikes since I know of the great football rivalry between Texas and Oklahoma, nothing against the state.

I know some folks that live out in the Texas Hill Country and one of these days I'll saddle up the bike and head that way for a visit. I have an open invitation from them since I'm good friends with one of their brothers here in New Orleans and have partied with them on several occasions.

I really haven't made up my mind exactly where I'd like to go. I'm thinking somewhere with 4 seasons, maybe the occasional snowfall but not all winter long. I do find as I get a little older, I'm so much less tolerant of the heat and humidity of the deep south as I work in the summer around the house and yard. Then again, I know older folks (late 70's and up) that seem to love the heat as their bodies age.

Never the less, I do have 2-3 years before I can think of making that move anyway. My daughter----stepdaughter actually---is in her second year now and will likely be in college for another 2+ years before finding a job, then there's the whole selling the house thing to deal with when the time comes.

Research, research, research since I'm not too concerned with Location, Location, Location besides it being rural with a nice piece of property and a move in house.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

lorax wrote:Eric, that's all well and good, but here's a question for you:

What percentage of a typical Latin American country's income is produced by exporting food?

Answer: in Ecuador's case, at least 85% (much of it from bananas and broccoli, although we also export our fair share of other tropical fruits).

On the upside, my country is also food-sovereign (meaning that if we stopped importing all food tomorrow, we wouldn't starve, the variety would simply be less), which is more than can be said for many other countries in the world - the US and Canada included.

Cynthia: if only the US would adopt the Latin American subsidy model - here, the government subsidizes the staple crops: rice, potatoes, quinoa, tomato (tree and slicing), oats and barley. ... There's also a new program starting up to encourage mixed cropping of traditional varieties as well - which bodes well for my favourite tubers (Mashua, Ullcu, and Melloco). Additionally, it's actually unconstitutional to do anything agriculturally that would threaten the food soveriegnty of the country. This is generally interpreted as anything that would hurt family farms or increase exports beyond their current levels.
Re. subsidies--these go from horticultural and agricultural practice to politics in a nanosecond and I'm afraid that's beyond what we can discuss on the boards here at THG. :( But I will say that, if it is a national goal to improve nutritional standards of *all* citizens, then the political will must be found to do so, in whatever way seems best. And that may in fact *not* be subsidies; I really don't know.

Re. veggie prices--here I have some hard data! :D The storm (high winds--45 to 50 mph gusts, or approx. 72 to 80 kph and heavy rain) has definitely brought on thoughts of soup. Ever since an epic ice storm when I was in college in Atlanta, and without power for five days--but able to cook b/c I had a gas stove!--I have absolutely INSISTED on having a gas stove in my apartment/house, no matter where I am, Atlanta or California.

So, having purchased Brussels sprouts on special last week at $1.29/lb due to a Brussels sprouts soup recipe in Bro. Victor-Antoine d'Avila-LaTourette's cookbook, I went forth just as it was getting full dark today in quest of potatoes, onions, and other soup necessities.

And what did my delighted eyes see at my local produce store?! Amazing stuff!

Pete (the owner) had put on special--the boxes outside the front of the shop--absolutely HUGE Yukon Gold potatoes. These big boys weigh approx. 12 oz. each, and Pete was selling them for 19¢/lb. Yes, that's about 14¢ each. I'll need two of them for the Brussels sprouts soup. And yellow onions were 69¢/lb; I purchased four, two of which were for this same soup. I make my own chicken stock, and the milk (from a locally owned and operated dairy) was $2.79/half gallon.

So I'll end up with my 4-liter Dutch oven full of soup, having spent $1.29 + $0.28 + $0.69 + $0.70 (milk) and a trifling amount for the seasonings already on hand and the chicken stock. $2.96 for dinner for four isn't bad! (Two people, two evenings.)

But of course this very discussion thread began with the mention of beets. So I thought I'd make whole-beet borscht, too, and find out its current cost in mid-February in a pretty good growing region for the vegetable.

Whole beets in bunches were $2.89 at Pete's shop. This seems to have been recognized as a good price, because at 6:00 there were only about 6 bunches left. The one I selected has five medium-sized beets with no splits and firm tails, good leaves. Loose beets, with no leaves, were $1.69/lb, and I purchased three in case I made a double batch. My regular recipe is based on four beets; now I had eight! I have red chard growing in the boxes, so if I want more leaves, I'll just cut some off the chard plants. Two of those 69¢/lb onions will go into the borscht, as will two more of the giant Yukon Golds for $0.28. Again, chicken stock, lemon juice (gift from a friend with a tree), and dill (gift from the garden right before the whole plant went to seed). Then I'll serve it with sliced hard-boiled egg and a plop of yogurt.

What did I spend altogether tonight for soup ingredients and milk?
1 bunch beets $2.89
loose beets $1.69/lb
yellow onions $0.69/lb
Yukon Gold potatoes $0.19/lb
2% Clover milk 1/2 gallon $2.79

Total was $9.83. I'll make two pots of soup tomorrow. I won't have to make new food until the weekend, at least! And in one of the grocery store circulars that came in today's mail, I see that 3-lb cabbage is on special for 99¢ through next Tuesday, so I'll start thinking about that and working it into my brain. My own cabbage never headed, so I can't do the "grow your own sauerkraut" experiment we had started here. Maybe I'll purchase cabbage and try it anyway. At this price, why not?

These are the prices I'm more used to seeing, which is why the $6/lb arugula struck me as way off base (earlier in this thread).

Cynthia

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I do not buy organic food in the grocery store. Just because it is marked organic does not mean it really is. I see stuff on TV news all the time and read on the internet organic is not really organic they can still use pesticides and herbicides and call it organic. Why pay extra for nothing.

I am lookng to buy a place with more land so I can grow more food in a much larger garden. I will have to buy a smaller house to get the land I want.

Now that I am retired and have no money coming in I have to watch my pennies. Gas is $3 a gallon so I ride my bicycle and the exercise has made me feel 15 years younger.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”