annastasia76

veggies in containers??

I have about 40 of those black pots that trees come in, hubby brought them home from work after they planted a bunch of trees. Last year I planted my pole beans and tomatillos in them so that I could put them in an area where the ground is too hard. for soil I mixed regular dirt from the garden with potting soil (I don't like using straight potting soil because it always drys out of me very quickly)

The plants did well until around June/July then they started dying, I thought that it was because they were in pots and not enough room for the roots but today I dumped the soil out of all the post and while there were alot of roots along the top and outer edges of the pots they were not root bound and no roots in the center.

Now I am wondering what killed the plants, could it be that the roots were cooked because the pots are black??? Should I try finding white pots, like bucket? I don't want to have to go to the store and buy pots, they would be about $15 each for plastic ones. Would it help to bury the pot?? or is there something else that might have killed the plants.

I might have to do my tomatoes in pots this year in the same place where I had to green beans because I have no other place them (due to rotating) Can tomatoes do well in the pots, I think they are 5 gallon but I'm not sure, I would have to measure them. Or do they need a larger pot?? Also what should I use for soil that won't cost me an arm and leg?
Annastasia

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

certainly, if it was hot enough by you, the black pot could have been too hot for the plants. I have heard of this happening with people using tires as well. One alternative to buying more pots or buckets, or having to dig all those holes, would be to paint all of the pots white. Are you sure the soil stayed moist all the way down in the pot?

Another alternative would be to just send me all those pots!! :wink:

annastasia76

I am not sure if they stayed moist at that time but when I just dumped them the soil was nice and moist in most of them. we had them on a drip line last year.

thanks about the idea for painting, I thought about it but wasn't sure if it would work. I think hubby has a couple of 5 gallon buckets of white paint in the other house (more junk that he has brought home from work, if they are tossing it out then he brings it home, lol)
Annastasia

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”