garden5
Super Green Thumb

Soil, I'd like to grow some sweet potatoes myself, but I'm on the fence still about whether I'm going to grow my own slips or order some.

I'm thinking that since I've never done sweets before, I'd rather order slips because 1. I will know the variety I'm getting (just luck of the draw from the store) and 2. I will have one less thing to wonder about if they don't do well :lol:.

Variety is important because I don't have quite as long a growing season up here as they do down south so I think I would have more success with a variety that has a shorter time to maturity.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

soil
Greener Thumb

Soil, I'd like to grow some sweet potatoes myself, but I'm on the fence still about whether I'm going to grow my own slips or order some.

i personally would just grow my own. sweet potatoes don't vary in growth that much. they vine like mad and make tubers, thats about it.

that is unless you can find some slips to a special delicious variety. i got mine from the farmers market, rare japanese sweet potatoes.
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I got more pots of various sizes that I will ever use last year for free. I went to a few nursery's and they have piles and piles of them they were glad to get rid of a few.

Last year Wal Mart had seed packets from American Seeds they were $0.20 and they germinate well. You can't beat that, you can buy a ton of seeds for just a few bucks. They don't have them out yet but there garden section is still in limbo at this time. Keep an eye out for them.

I also get horse manure free from several places around. They normally have a ton of it so they are happy to get rid of it. If you find a place that wants money try to find one that doesn't. All the places around here but a very few are free and most will even load it for you.

Don't forget to use what you have as well. Sour cream containers make good starters as well as egg cartons, to go containers etc. I save milk jugs for watering, I will have several filled up and let them sit to gas off the chlorine.

Let's not forget the ultimate deal MAKE YOUR OWN COMPOST.

Dono

soil
Greener Thumb

Last year Wal Mart had seed packets from American Seeds they were $0.20 and they germinate well. You can't beat that, you can buy a ton of seeds for just a few bucks. They don't have them out yet but there garden section is still in limbo at this time. Keep an eye out for them.
last year they were 10 cents each here, i spent like 10$ on seeds still lol.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I probably should have added. I get all of my wood chip mulch for free. If you can find those guys that run tree trimming businesses they are always looking for a place to dump their wood chips. You do want to get the chips from a trimming though, not a dead tree or stump grinding because of the possibility of termites and a lot of dirt being in the mulch.

They will gladly dump the mulch at your house because the normally have to pay do get rid of it. I get it by the truck load when I need it.
Jeff

USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32.

Failure is only a fact when you give up.

soil
Greener Thumb

ill second the tree trimmings, i asked the guys once and they came over with 10 yards of chipped oak from the roadsides. now when i see them and i need it i know what to do.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”