Avonnow
Green Thumb

Freaky Pepper & Tomato

Is there something obviously wrong about these two plants. :shock: The tomato is super odd shaped. I do not know what type of tomato, this plant came up and I tended to it and have no idea what it is, some tomatos on it look great, kinda oblong then a few started looking like this . 2nd pic - The peppers on various plants (which have produced normally before) have that little protusion on bottom, again is it laking something or are aliens altering my plants while I sleep. For those of you in the cold, that is sunshine in the second photo. I can't believe Florida has been so warm, while you all get blasted - hope the groundhog is right!

[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/IMG_0013.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/IMG_0004.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Avonnow on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

cool! Let them go and see what happens!! :) maybe you accidentally got yourself a new variety! Last year I has one tomato plant that was making tomatoes that looked like they had a little baby tomato stuck to it on the blossom end. I was convinced I had a new breed I was gonna call "button tomatoes"....but half way through the season it just stopped and I never got another one. Weird. Should have saved seeds from those first 4 or 5 maters.

If that tomato ends up looking really cool and different, save the seeds! You may get a plant that produces all that kind if this plant doesn't.

Phila-PM
Newly Registered

Yeah, I'd let it grow and see what happens :). I'm jealous you live in Florida, I can't get away from this snow here in PA.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You said: "I do not know what type of tomato, this plant came up and I tended to it and have no idea what it is, "

Do you mean it came up in your garden from seed from a prievious planting? If so, no telling what you have. Most of the popular tomato types are hybrids. When you grow the seed produced from a hybrid tomato you may get a variety of different things due to the genetic possibilities. Just watch it and see what you get.

Warm weather sounds very inviting. It got up to 39 here today.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Yes the seed just spouted and I hate to kill anything, I have enough trouble getting them to live when I plant my own seeds. So I let it grow and potted it and it is doing well except for these freaky tomatos. I will not be harvesting seeds, but I hope they taste alright.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”