annastasia76

spaghetti squash

Last year we got several spaghetti squash and stored them. How do I know if they have gone bad. I just cooked one and it tasted very bitter, does that mean it's no good?? This is the first one that I have cooked that ended up tasting like this after cooking it.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Maybe you picked it too soon! It has to get almost white and the inside looks like thin greenish colored spegetti. Some insides look like a yellow white. Bake it or cook it in a microwave with a chnkm of butter. I like garlic salt on it! Siome people put spegetti sauce on it! It should not be bitter nuless not ripe enough! The seeds sometimes tell you how ripe itis if they are large like a pumpkin seed. If the seeds ae small and soft its not ripe yet! I even let them mature after the vine dies!

annastasia76

I didn't pick them until the vine was dying, the skin was bright yellow, the seeds were also fully developed and some starting to grow on the inside. It should have been fully developed.

I just hope that I don't have to toss out the others that I have saved.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Bad from storage usually means soft moldy spots and loss of moisture. I've had some "survivor" delicata squash last 7 months and the flavor was not as good as it should have been, but there was no nasty flavor. However, a few of those squash tasted bad when fresher so the bitterness you are finding might be growing conditions/individual squash.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”