mansgirl

Spring Fever!

Any of you fellow northerners getting antsy yet? I can't hardly stand it! I have had fun browsing for seeds lately, and its encouraging to see the neighbors starting to load their greenhouses up with cutting transplants and hanging baskets.. but May just seems SOO far away!

What do you all do to keep yourselves preoccupied while waiting?

I do have to admit.. its been nice to eat my salsa and not have to worry about making it! Its also great to just pull a package of frozen bells or beans out of the freezer. :oops: But I'm starting to really feel the winter crazies! :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

mansgirl wrote:
What do you all do to keep yourselves preoccupied while waiting?
Start seeds!! I already have two trays of seeds/seedlings under the grow lights and more to come each week. So every day, I water and tend them and spend some time admiring them!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I know how you feel. I'm starting to get there.

I probably will not be starting any seeds for at least a month, though. You see, I like to grow a lot of plants, but I only have one light currently and the best I can do with one light is to keep 2 72-cell flats under it so that means that the seedlings will become root-bound if left to grow too long.

I would like to eventually get some more lights so that I would be able to up-pot many of my seedlings to larger pots. I remember a post by a member here (I think it was Eric) that showed how much more a tomato plant grew that was up-potted over one that was not.

A greenhouse would be nice some day, but that's still in the planning stages.

Canadian Farmer Guy

Yeah, I've got a cactus in my window.
When you find yourself hoping, wishing your cactus would grow bigger, You're going crazy.

Oh well, I'm starting my seeds in a little while. That'll be fun.

In the meantime I will stare at my cactus.

CFG

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just looking at pics from last season. Kinda missing this.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/onions_from_seed_7_4_2010.jpg[/img]
[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/peas_5.jpg[/img]
Last edited by jal_ut on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Greenhouse%20May%2026%202010/DSC02219.jpg[/img]

Big difference between a 3" pot and in the greenhouse bed. These two plants are the same age and I believe "Legend"

Eric

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

It's 80 degrees here in Florida!! :D

*quickly retreats out of topic*

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Neat! Its 2° here tonight. Likely to go below zero before morning. No snow though. The ground will be freezing good as there is no snow cover.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Just looking at pics from last season. Kinda missing this.
Hang on jal spring is just around the bend. :D

Eric

Hydroponics
Cool Member

I had to get a container plant to make it through the winter. I hung a small CFL over it so it would get enough light. The window doesn't quite provide enough.

It's a Swedish Ivy. It is growing pretty fast, but I am ready to start seeds. I probably should have ordered seeds already. It feels antsy, but I think its about that time of the year.... :D :) :D

applestar
Mod

I ordered seed potatoes yesterday. :D

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Big difference between a 3" pot and in the greenhouse bed. These two plants are the same age and I believe "Legend" Eric
Well, Eric, you just helped me with my plans. Last weekend I got the clear polycarbonate roof and walls on my lean-to greenhouse. As I worked I noticed that the winter sun hits it better than I thought, so I am excited. Last night, I studied the inside in terms of where to put shelves for starting young plants.

And now you show the pics of the greenhouse bed....maybe I will limit the shelf space and go with more beds. Thanks for the pics.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

:D

the groundhog didn't see his shadow so it's an early spring!!!!

This thrills me to no end! lol

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

GardenRN wrote::D

the groundhog didn't see his shadow so it's an early spring!!!!

This thrills me to no end! lol
I figured that, here in central Alabama, we would have our last frost about mid-March if he did not see his shadow......and about March 15 if he did.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

ha...so basically it doesn't matter to yall right? Since mid-march and march 15th are riiiight around the same time. :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:lol: :lol:
I figured that, here in central Alabama, we would have our last frost about mid-March if he did not see his shadow......and about March 15 if he did.
:lol: :lol:

I'll take 6 of those and a half a dozen of another.

Eric

BP

I have been getting antsy for a couple weeks now, but now that snowpocalypse 2011 hit and I have over a foot of snow on the ground my ice fishing season is over (too hard to pull the shanty and gear in that much snow) I'm really getting antsy.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

lakngulf,

How about some pictures. We like pictures. :D

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”