what do I want to grow this year?

I can't ever decide.

this is what I have so far on my list:

cherokee purple- tomato
heidi- roma
candle?-roma
brandywine-tomato
green beans- jade bush beans.

I need some good cucumber varieties and other ideas too!..

OK, shoot me your favorite veggies!!!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'm planting two varieties of cucumbers this year---General Lee F1 and an Asian variety that I can't remember the name of off hand. I also like Japanese Yard Long beans since they are fast growing and heavy producers of 16-24 inch long, pencil thin beans.

Then there's the obligatory bell peppers, jalapeno, Belgian hot wax, and a few other hot varieties I'm going to put in this year. I also plant Ichiban and white globe eggplant along with zucchini and yellow crook neck squash. My wife and daughter would not forgive me if I didn't plant at least a half row of Soybeans for edamame------neither would I, since they are sooooo good.

Since I live in New Orleans, no self respecting Coonass would have a summer garden without Okra. I generally put in about 30 plants and that keeps me and a few others in Okra for the summer once it starts coming in.

Of course, there's the tomato plants with the locally grown Creole leading the way along with some of the ones you mention in your post plus a few others. I just posted on the tomato forum about a neighbors Christmas gift to me of tomato seeds in a variety pack.

Just a week ago I planted 4 thornless blackberry plants and 2 blueberry bushes in a new plot I recently dug. I'll have to build a trellis for them so they don't sprawl because yard space is getting used up every time I get the bug to plant something new. It will be summer of 2012 before I get any blackberries since they are new canes and I hope the blueberries can tolerate our summer heat---------we'll see.

rkunsaw

Hi Sheesh,
Okra,sweet corn,purple hull peas,tabasco peppers,yellow squash,potatoes,sweetpotatoes,radish.carrot,onions,garlic,cabbage,cauliflower,broccoli,and eggplant to name a few.
If you don't have an asparagus bed, try to find room for one.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Is your "candle" tomato 'Roman Candle'? a yellow paste type.

I like lemon cucumber (looks like a lemon not tastes like one). It produces lots of little (single serving sized) cucumbers that you don't have to peel.

I vote for a muskmelon. Minnesota Midget is early, prolific, and doesn't take up much space, if those are problems for you.

Butternut squash...resistant to squash vine borrer, good for making pumpkin pies, good for squash dishes, easy to panfry disks cut from the neck for a quick vegetable. Stores well all winter.

Swiss chard...good for greens, is used for several Italian pasta dishes as well. Ornamental

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

TZ got there ahead of me... I was going to say swiss chard. Best thing in my garden, the only thing that is productive from very early in the season straight through to very late. Use it raw or cooked any way you would use spinach.

Agree also re the butternut or acorn squash; I've about given up on growing zucchini, due to the vine borers, but I hear they don't bother the winter squash. So I'm growing acorn squash this year.

Also herbs! What garden is complete without at least some basil, oregano, and sage! All very easy to grow, not bothered by any diseases and pests-- unlike tomatoes which are wonderful to eat when you get them, but actually a bit fussy to grow because of the diseases they are vulnerable to and all the other things that love to eat them. I don't have to fence my herbs in to keep every critter in the world from eating them!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

oh yes! the yard longs... I always forget about those! def going on my list this year.

I need a hot pepper.. I wrote down burpee gigante I think.

Okra, I've tried growing it twice now and it never got more than 3 leaves... ??

I'm not doing corn this year... takes up too much space.

OK, purple hull peas. tell me more! is this a drying bean type? I want a drying type bean

yellow squash for sure.. must have forgotten to write it down. (I started a list months back)

I want to do potatoes yes... what varieties should I do?

onions, I need long day ones.. which variety is a favorite?

not sure I know what a tabasco pepper is. :)

I will try carrots and radishes one last time... I fail every time. what is a good carrot to try? (I have tons of radish seeds here)

I have garlic going already so I'm good with that! yae!

the candle tomatoe.. I don't KNOW?? LOL! I wrote it down months ago after hearing some say they loved it. I want to say yes it is roman candle... I know it is a paste tomato.

maybe I'll try muskmelon those sound cool. writing it down now :)

OH! anyone know a good brussel sprout? my 6y old wants those.

OK, I'm going to try this swiss chard, it sounds fun.

I don't really like winter squash though. the only one I really liked is the blue hubbard and the borers went after my neighbors last year,. we both had borer issues. I've never had them in the past and they were bad!

herbs.. I've done some before and we never used them. IDK why.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

So many vegs, so little space; hard to decide, isn't it?

On thing I've done is to make a list of all the crops that you wannt to grow and then start by cutting out the ones that you want to grow the least. Keep it up until you have just enough to fill the garden.

I want to try gold nugget squash this year. It's also known as sweet potato squash.

One thing to keep in mind is that with heirloom tomatoes you may not get as large of a yield as you do with hybrids, so perhaps keep a few standard beefsteak plants in the mix as a sort of back-up.

I'd like to try growing one of those purple eggplants with the white stripes.

I also want to try growing the bhut joloka pepper again (world's hottest) :wink:.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh dear, don't get me started. I had 40 plus varieties in my garden last year.

Here is a link to [url=https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/GARDEN.pdf]My Garden Recommendations[/url] if you are interested. These things work for me here in Northern Utah. Growing conditions vary so much across the country, I don't know what will work for you, but you don't have nearly enough on your list! :)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

jal, your climate sounds similar to mine with the frost dates and such. we're zone 4/5 as well. I'm sure the elevation is not the same though LOL!!

NEED. MORE. SEEDS!!!!!!!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/Kale_7_4_2010.jpg[/img]

How about some kale? That is spinach behind the kale. Spinach is a good crop too.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Jade Cross is a good hybrid brussels sprouts. The nonhybrid types like Long Island Improved/Catskill don't seem to "bud up" as well as the hybrids.

For a potato you can't go wrong with Yukon Gold.

Hydroponics
Cool Member

Broccoli and/or Broccolini. Broccolini is Broccoli's little cousin, but they are full of flavor and easier to eat.

I agree with potatoes, there are many kinds, try a couple different varieties.

Are you willing to venture into fruit? I would try Watermelons, strawberries, yellow strawberries, and if you plan to be there a long time and your climate permits, an apple tree? Some varieties of apples can be grown in a container if kept properly.

Did you consider growing peppers? There are purple jalapenos you can get to match your purple tomatoes and make purple salsa.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Sheeshshe, you got me caught up in this . . .

First off, you sure that your 6 year old wants Brussels sprouts? I'm more than 10 times that age and don't have any interest in eating them at all :? ! I'd go for Packman broccoli as an alternative.

Second, I'll second the idea about having some hybrid tomatoes. Or, at least, some nice early, smaller open-pollinated types that will be sure to ripen in your climate - like Bloody Butcher, Stupice, those sorts.

Now, how about peas? Three basic types: snow, snap, and shell. I have Oregon Sugar Pod, Sugar Snap, and Arrow to fill those needs.

I find Italian and banana sweet peppers easier to grow than most of the others.

Potatoes? Oh, a Idaho/Washington gardener advising a Maine gardener ;) !! Well, isn't Kennebec "the" Maine potato? I have come to appreciate Yukon Gold - there are good reasons it is so popular. You might want Russet Burbank "the" Idaho potato!

Even in the most protected part of my yard, the yard-long couldn't grow too well. Still, nothing wrong with some pole green beans like Blue Lake. They could kick in after those productive Jades start to run out. And, for a dry bean - the most productive variety that I've grown was Soldier. Seems like that one is from Maine, too :) !

Steve

BP

I would like to try either Cherokee purple or Brandywine along with a couple of hybrids. Gold star cantaloupe, pole beans, yellow onions, a few types of peppers and sweet corn. Is there a preferred distance to put between different kinds of corn? I've never grown sweet corn and would like to try 2 types

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I forgot onions:

Scallions from sets are easy.

For a sweet -- Walla Walla, of course!

Steve :D

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

My 6y old LOVES brussel sprouts. raw! he even takes them to school for snack :lol: :lol: :lol: he takes radishes too. see? I feed them healthy :o

yard longs, my neighbor grows those so I know they do well here.

potatoes, yeah.. maybe a maine variety is a good idea hahahahha.

fruits... I plan on strawberries this year. iput in trees last year, apples, plum, peach, and pear. and raspberries. I'll domore raspthis year and some blackberries as well I think.

I just can't seem to decide on my veggies at ALL!!!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Corn, plant at least 3 rows 30 inches apart, and space the plants in the rows 8 to 12 inches.

Corn is unique in that the type of pollen that polinizes the kernel will affect the sweetness. If both kinds of corn are SE type or if both are Su type, you will have no problem with them planted right together. If not, maybe you can get corn with two different maturity times so they are not tasseling at the same time, or stagger the plantings so they will not tassel at the same time.

I get around this by planting only SE types.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Jal, that's pretty interesting about the corn. I never knew that the pollen affected the fruit with this pant :idea:.

I did some heirloom tomatoes last year and while they tasted great, the production was lower do to diseases.

I wouldn't say to give up the brandywines all together, but just throw some hybrids in the mix as well if you want to make sure that you are not cut short on tomatoes.

Also, a neat pepper plant to try (I haven't yet, but want to!) is [url=https://www.tradewindsfruit.com/vegetables/marbles_pepper.htm]Hot Marbles[/url]

We're trying to make your choices easier, but I have a feeling that we're really making them tougher!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I did corn last year and decided that I didnt want to do it again this year. for the amount of space it took up, the return was minimal.

OK, so if I do a sweet pepper and a hot pepper that would be good. MAN I need to order seeds like, now. I really need to choose something!

Tomatoes, I have beefy boy hybrid left I think. I may have another hybrid as well. is there a particular hybrid that you all enjoy the most?

gardenvt
Green Thumb

For a sweet pepper, try Carmen. It grows well here in Vermont as does Jimmy Nardello.

My large tomatoes are all OPs this year - some I 've grown before, some new. Cherry tomatoes are all hybrids - Sungold, Suncherry, Sweetie and, last but not least, Apero from Johnny's. Apero has great taste (subjective) and is a good keeper once ripe.

I'm trying some mini melons here this year and some eight ball zucchini to save space. Also starting some strawberries from seed - Sarian which is an everbearing and should produce fruit this year from July to frost.

I am growing the onion family for the first time. Started the seed Friday afternoon and yesterday, some of them were sprouting. Today, almost all of the shallots and onions are up. Just a couple of the leeks.

We love Black Seeded Simpson and Lollo Rossa lettuce - they are so tasty. If you like pesto, you have to plant basil - I grow Genovese. I've tried so many and we just like this one best. If you want a bit of scent in the garden, cinnamon is really nice.

I've grown Diva cucumber for several years and Lemon once. This year will be growing Marketmore 76 (northern standard), Tasty Jade (long asian) and Alibi (true mini so they say).

I am also going to try the carrots and radishes again. I think my error was in not giving them enough sun so they will occupy a sunny spot this year.

What is a garden without beets? Found some lovely Chioggias at a farm stand last year and they were so sweet and delicious raw - even better roasted. The bonus with beets is that you can eat the whole plant and even as baby plants in your salad.

There are so many options when it comes to planning a garden and all of those seed catalogs are so enticing. I started looking at 2010 catalogs last fall once the garden was put to bed for the winter. I considered what we have grown, what we liked, what we wanted to try and started making a very long list. In the end, I shortened the list to match the size of the garden - clever, huh?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I love beets. and radishes. I just haven't been successful! I will try yet again though.

those are some good points and good ideas. back to the drawing board LOL

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”