Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Time release fertilizers are they good or not?

I was thinking about time release and it seems that all organic fertilizers are time release since they compost first but the inorganic are different! Do the inorganic have to be coated with something to work on a time basis? Also can the time release be distorted alot by the weather?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The time release fertilizers are encapsulated inside a resin shell. They need moisture to diffuse/dissolve out of the resin but I don't think they are very temperature sensitive. From what I understand the properties of the resin are such that the nutrients won't wash away if the pellets are wet I.e. the maximum release rate is pretty slow. I assume that they were designed to be used with potted nursery plants kept evenly moist, and standard (automated) practice for those is to flush the pots with a volume of water equal to the pot's volume when they do get watered.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I use an organic (vegetable based) fertilizer that doesn't call itself "time released". It actually is time released because it releases it's nitrogen and minerals as it slowly decomposes. It is designed for use as a garden or lawn fertilizer. It is safe in the garden because the nitrogen content is only 6% and will not burn the plant roots as it decomposes. I use the brand at the following link because it is manufactured close to where I live and local farm supply stores carry it by brand name. By using local manufacturers, it lowers transportation costs.

https://bluebonnetfeeds.com/viewproduct.php?id=95

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

By time release fertilizer I assume you mean "compost". :P

Than the answer would be Yes! :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'm with Gix. Compost is definitely THE fertilizer for me. It's great in that as the weather warms and the plants get more demanding in the nutrients they desire, the microbes simultaneously become more active decaying the organic matter in the soil, thus increasing nutrient cycling.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I can't disagree with the sentiment that compost rules. If you don't have any compost, the organic fertilizer is a reasonable replacement.

Ted :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”