zorkan
Newly Registered

crop rotation question

Hi, I have to add lime to my garden and I only plant watermelon.
I hear the lime will last for 3 years befor I have to reapply it.
my question is can I divide the field into two parts using one half for three years then adding lime to the other half and planting in it for three years without causing to much damage to the watermelon plants?
and what is a good crop to grow on the side that isnt being used for watermelons?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

It sounds like you want to lime each half of the field every six years, grow watermellon on a side for the first three years (neutral pH) and then something else for the next three (acid soil). This says that watermellons are one of the most tolerant of acid soils, along with potatoes so it will be difficult to rotate.

https://msucares.com/lawn/garden/vegetables/soil/ph.html

An annual soil test would tell you how long the buffering effect of the lime lasts, so it may or may not be three years.

zorkan
Newly Registered

the ph of my soil is 5 I have been adding lime so it is now 6.5
according to the great page you showed me https://msucares.com/lawn/garden/vegetables/soil/ph.html
it leads me to believe that I can grow watermelon without adding lime, am I reading that right? If that is right I will only add alittle bit of lime mayb enuf to get ph to 5.5 sound good to you? thanks

Vegetable Tolerance to Acid Soils

Very tolerant
(pH 6.8 to 5.0)

Irish Potatoes
Sweetpotatoes
Watermelons

garden5
Super Green Thumb

If your Ph is at 6.5, than you should be good to go and probably don't need any lime.

zorkan
Newly Registered

garden5 wrote:If your Ph is at 6.5, than you should be good to go and probably don't need any lime.
my question is can I divide the field into two parts using one half for three years then adding lime to the other half and planting in it for three years without causing to much damage to the watermelon plants or how does crop rotation work

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”