amelia23

Newbie at Growing Garlic in the Spring

Hi everyone! Long hiatus from this forum - life happens - but now I'm eager to do some gardening this year and I have a question for those of you who are good with garlic.

I can find many topics on the forum about growing garlic in general and while very, very useful, I can't find anything on growing garlic in the spring. I know that fall is best, but I missed the crucial time as I thought I would be moving around that time (false alarm).

I would appreciate any information anyone can give me on how best to grow garlic in a few months. Most importantly:

1) What can I do to best prepare my soil,
2) How to properly plant and space the garlic, and
3) How to care for it as it grows

I would appreciate anything at all! By the way, I'm in Nova Scotia, Zone 5B.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Here is a post we did earlier. It should help with some of your questions.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30824&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=garlic&start=0

Eric

amelia23

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Here is a post we did earlier. It should help with some of your questions.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30824&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=garlic&start=0

Eric
I saw this, and you're right - it definitely helps, thank you! But I suppose I just wonder if I will be doing the exact same process for planting in the spring?

Also, anyone with recommendations for varieties?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, I'm not sure how well they would grow.That is, you may only harvest small, under-developed bulbs.

However, it's worth a try, so I would say to just put them in the same way you would in the fall. You may be able to plant them closer since they may not get as big.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My experience with spring planted garlic tells me that you won't get multi-cloved bulbs, but will get a solid round. It will be larger than the clove you planted. Yes you can use them to eat. Yes, they are fine to plant in the fall (or just leave them in the ground) and the following year they will give you some nice large bulbs. If you have some to plant, do it now if possible.

amelia23

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
jal_ut wrote:If you have some to plant, do it now if possible.
Can I do this while the ground is frozen here in Nova Scotia? I missed the fall planting season because I was in Taiwan :-S

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

No. Frozen ground is too hard. Have to wait for it to thaw. Do you have snow? Sometimes the ground doesn't freeze under the snow. Of course that depends on how much snow and how cold it gets.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yes, wait until your ground thaws. Also, since Jal kind of backed up my hypothesis about the cloves not growing too large, I think it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to plant them a little closer than recommended.

You could pull some in the summer, and then leave some others to grow through the fall.

Keep us updated :wink:.

applestar
Mod

I had an idea... maybe you could place overturned black or dark colored tubs or nursery containers where you want to plant -- then cover the entire bed with (double layer of) plastic sheeting (which should help hold down the tubs/containers. I'm not sure if this would be sufficient to help warm the soil and thaw it considering the expanse of FROZENNESS all around, but it's an idea. :wink:

If you are able to get them planted -- and I think you would want to plant a little deeper, considering. Mulch heavily -- 6~8 in. with leaves or straw, and maybe pile some snow on top for good measure!

I'm thinking of doing something similar to thaw out some of my garden beds earlier for planting this year.... 8)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

and one more idea. Start them in the house. Put the cloves in 4" nursery pots with your favorite mix.

My brother sold many 6" tall plants last spring. We grow the variety Musik, sometimes spelled Music. I don't have any feed back, so I can't tell you how it went.

Eric

amelia23

Wow, all great suggestions, thank you!

I know planting outdoors isn't an option right now here in Canada, but I thought maybe garlic had some kind of exception. Forgive my naivety.

I would love to try the defrosting method for outdoors, but unfortunately it's so, so cold here right now (-18 C without even accounting for the wind chill) and thus very, very frozen. Probably wouldn't work well here.

But starting them indoors is not a bad idea, especially because I've been getting the spring planting bug very early this year. This might do the trick. I'll update on progress when this happens.

I use garlic daily in the kitchen and I can't stand buying the stuff that is imported here from Mexico or China; it goes bad so quickly, even for a daily user like myself. Garlic seems like a worthwhile endeavor for my kitchen. :]

applestar
Mod

If you just want the garlic flavor to use in cooking, you can also simply plant some cloves of garlic in pots in the kitchen window and trim the greens to use as they grow. If you save a generous portion of garlic and onion bottoms when cutting them, you can push them into soil and they'll sprout greens.

I just push them in whatever container is handy. Right now, my overwintering pots of Stevia, Jalapenos, Fish Pepper, Bell Pepper, Basil, as well as the Golden Thyme/scented geranium basket are all sporting onion and garlic greens. 8)

I do this throughout the winter, and in spring when I plant them out, some of them even bulb up a little.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

But starting them indoors is not a bad idea, especially because I've been getting the spring planting bug very early this year. This might do the trick. I'll update on progress when this happens.
So I get an attaboy on this one. :D

Next year plant in oct - nov and cover with a thick layer of mulch.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Farmers%20Market%20Produce/DSC02409.jpg[/img]

Eric

grondeau

My favorite spring planting guide, prepared by Nick Routlage for our area in Oregon, has several helpful comments about various plants. Specifically for garlic he says,

"Conventional wisdom has it that garlic has to go in in October. Garlic is far more forgiving. if you miss your fall sowing, never mind, sow in early spring for very similar results. Some long-experienced growers hereabouts sow only in spring."

And in his winter gardening guide Nick says,

"Traditionally sown in October but some sow in mid-September for larger heads. If you miss the window, sow Jan - Feb. Some experienced growers locally sow only in the spring. Typically side-dressed in February. There is very impressive garlic diversity. When harvesting garlic, do not remove the dried stems before storing - the heads will keep for an additional two months."

If you think about it, those shoots under the snow aren't doing much now. Just get them in the ground as soon as you can and see what happens!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I didn't do any garlic myself this fall. This thread is starting to inspire me go give it a go in the spring!

Eric, I'll bet neighbors from miles around can "tell :roll:" (sniff sniff) when you are starting your garlic harvest :lol:. Nice harvest by the way, would make for some great tasting peppers and sausage!

Have you ever tried baking an entire clove? I've heard they put out quite an odor but taste great!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Have you ever tried baking an entire clove? I've heard they put out quite an odor but taste great!
Yes the whole bulb. Cut off the top and bottom. A little olive oil. Love roasted garlic, spread it on toast.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If you think about it, those shoots under the snow aren't doing much now. Just get them in the ground as soon as you can and see what happens!
Very true, however fall planted garlic may send out both roots and tops and come spring, it is off and growing very early. At the vary least the fall planted garlic will have developed a nice root system over winter and have a big jump on spring planted garlic. For spring planting, the earlier the better for sure. It is worth a try. You will get something.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Very true, however fall planted garlic may send out both roots and tops and come spring, it is off and growing very early. At the vary least the fall planted garlic will have developed a nice root system over winter and have a big jump on spring planted garlic.
Thank you jal, you saved me some typing. :D

He's right you know.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”