Rob_NZ

Mmm...Pumpkin leaves - I had no idea...

...but we live and learn :D

I didn't even know they were edible, but what's striking according the nutrition data site, is there's more protein in the leaves than in the pumpkin. 31% more.

Pumpkin leaves - https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2598/2

Pumpkin - https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2600/2

It's got me looking at leaves in a whole new way.

ElizabethH.

I wonder how they taste. I have eaten pumpkin flowers, but never the leaves. I will have to try them this year! I am going to be growing the rouge vif d'etampes pumpkins. Thanks for the neat idea.

applestar
Mod

The Cinderella pumpkins? Last year, I planted them late; then a horde of SVB descended on my garden :x. The smaller plants had no chance, though the Atlantic Giant, Delicata, and Yellow Crookneck that were planted earlier and were much further along gamely hang on for a while and the YCN and Delicata actually resumed growing from rooted shoots.

I'll try again earlier and with full arsenal of protection this year. :bouncey: I"m also growing Butternut Squah for less hassle with SVB's.

ElizabethH.

Yes, the cinderella pumpkins. They grew very well last year. I ordered the seeds from Bakers Creek and still have 2/3 of the pack left, so I will be planting more this year. What a great pumpkin! The flavor was great!

I also have Black Futsu winter squash seeds left. I planted them next to the rouge vif d'etampes last year and they didn't do very well at all. When the squash were still small they rotted on the vine. I am going to try them again as well since I still have some seeds. Might as well.

I might get some other seeds too, I love winter squash!

I hope you have better luck this year! We let the chickens run loose in the garden last year, and had very few bug pests. They ate a few of the lower tomatos, but otherwise left everything alone.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The tendrils of winter squash are delicious and taste like, well, like winter squash! I have never tried pumpkin leaves.

We always harvest some of the squash vines when they are growing well and look like they shouldn't have a problem with losing a growing tip here and there. Don't take a whole bunch from one vine. At least, I wouldn't.

Steamed and served with a pat of butter - squash tendrils are tender and tasty :wink: .

Steve

HangOn

Iv'e never considerd pumpkin/winter squash as a source of protein, let alone leaves of same, I will read the link when I get a moment.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

So, you can eat the leaves.....and the vines :shock:. This is a new one for me. I'm wondering how many other plants are out there that we are composting perfectly edible parts of?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”