ruggr10
Green Thumb

Soil Amendments

I know it's the middle of winter and my yard is under 2+ feet of snow but I'm ready for spring.

Here's my problem:
In my back yard I've taken down 30 six to ten foot pines and I'm getting about 9 100ft pines this winter. The soil underneath them is very rich but acidic from all the needles. I had 4 (4' by 8') raised beds this summer to avoid the soil, but I would love ideas on what to do to the soil to be able to grow veggies without raised beds. I would need 20 more beds to cover the space if I don't amend the soil.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Applying agricultural lime is the traditionally way.

I personally would go the compost and manure route.

How will you deal with all the tree roots????

Eric

ruggr10
Green Thumb

The larger stumps I will either have to grind or help rot out.

The smaller stumps and roots I've pulling or chopping up. For this season I can work around them as they rot out.

Good idea about the lime, I had thought of that. As for compost and manure do I just add a ton? I can get all the free horse manure I can handle, but man wouldn't that stink?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

As for compost and manure do I just add a ton? I can get all the free horse manure I can handle, but man wouldn't that stink?
Like home cookin :lol:

I put about 5 yards of horse manure on 13 raised beds last fall. 3ft x 20ft beds. I have about 5 yards waiting for the north side 12.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC01588-1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC01597-1.jpg[/img]

Two concerns you might want to look into. Lime and manure at the same time. Horse worming medication killing earthworms.

Eric

applestar
Mod

I know this wasn't the question but blueberries would happily grow in acidic soil. Probably cranberries too. if you live in the ight climate, starting outdoor mushroom beds would be another way to make good use of all that freshly chipped wood. The mushrooms would help break them down into nice rich soil. You'll probably end up with wild unID'd inedible fungi anyway, so why not seed/spawn with known edibles?

Potatoes are better grown in slightly acidic mulch/soil to prevent scab -- I mix in pine needles and pine needle compost to mulch/hill them. On the other hand some vegs hate acidic soil -- peas, lettuce, carrots, beets and chard are a few examples. You could plan where to plant what according to the degree of pH adjustment you effect.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

You could rent a tractor or hire one, it would dig out all the small stumps; you could till your land up at the same time. For the big ones you would need a bulldozer. To rot the large stumps there is a product called "stump rot"; all it is in it is potassium nitrate. Drill holes in the stumps and put the nitrate in it. You can as a substitute use a strong fertilizer.
Get a good soil PH test kit, one you can use a few times or more. Put plenty of lime down it can leach in but you may want to till the first layers in.
Adding soil amendments like manure is a good idea, manure is acidic so you will need to add extra lime. You can mix sawdust or other things with it. How rock is you soil, Main has lots of rocks in it to mess with tillers.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Eric that is a lot of work using a wheel barrel to move all that manure, you need a small tractor.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I agree with all said above.
The application of Lime should be very helpful; and may need to be repeated over several years to get your "neutral" growing areas in shape.
And, Organic Matter will work wonders... Compost and Composted Horse Manure should both be great. If the manure is not already composted, you can do that at your site; or, you can apply it (mix in to your soil) in the Fall, so it has time to age before your Spring planting.

With ample amounts of Organic Matter in the soil, pH becomes less of a critical issue, because the plants will have increased access to nutrients due to the "buffering capacity" of the soil that is high in Organic Material.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Those are some great ideas!

I loved the pics too. I'd love for my backyard to look like that.

I thought about more blueberries and/or huckleberries. I have 9 high bush ones already. Also, once I took out the small pines, wild blueberries (low bush) took off where there were none the year before. I probably have the birds to thank for that.

Someone ask about rocks, and I have found no rocks so far. The soil is all organic material for about 6 inches then there's clay. Also, between my lawn and the wooded area is a 1 foot wide stream, so the ground can be wet without 4 feet of the stream.

I'm thinking of going the lime route. I'm worried about all the manure with the stink and my 1-year-old eating/playing/rolling in it. Actually, I'm more worried about what my wife would do to me when he did all that.

As for a tractor, I had issues with getting them across the stream without sinking in the spring. Had that issue this past spring. that's why the tree guy is cutting them down while the ground is frozen.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Eric that is a lot of work using a wheel barrel to move all that manure, you need a small tractor.
Tom, everytime I see a Dingo by Toro, I start to drivel.

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have a small trailer that goes behind the riding mowers, it holds more than a wheel barrel or when I can I just use the tractor bucket it holds even more.
A tractor with a front end loader is one of the best yard and garden tools ever made. The one I have in photo is a full sized one and a 4x4, I have land I have been cleaning up so I needed a powerful one. They make compact and subcompact tractors. They all can have front end loaders and have PTO's. Looking at your garden I think you would be in heaven with a subcompact one it gets in to tight spots easy.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

My brother has a John Deere 4310 compact utility tractor. Loader, backhoe, box scraper, auger, chisel plow, single tooth ripper, pallet forks, spring rake. He lives next door and is available most of the time. :D

Eric

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Just as a random idea in addition to lime and/or manure...

Could I use a cover crop in parts I'm not using this year to help improve the soil?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

ruggr10,

I think a cover crop is a great idea. If you don't have a local source, Peaceful valley has a good selection.

https://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html

Left margin

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

DD it does not get any better than getting to use your borthers tractor!
8)

rugger10 aup sure a nuff for the cover crop. I still know how to speak down easter main. :wink:

I was from the North shore above Boston and we had a house on a lake in Milton NH, the other side of the lake was Main. I drank a lot of beer sitting on an old wooden bridge between NH and Main; local hang out.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”