MiamiGreen

open room for growth

I have a large area of my garden that hasnt been getting sun. I was wondering what root vegetable, flower, or fruit would do well in low light areas in a south florida climate.

thanks in advance

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Well when you mean low light - does it get any Sun light at all. I have some of my Florida garden on the south of my home. The same place my solar is situated for my pool. During the summer I get alot of sun, but when fall comes and the sun moves farther south the two story house to the south blocks it most of the day. I get some in the early am and some in the late afternoon. During this time I was able to grow successfully, Parsley, peppers Broccoli, Peas, Beans, Okra and Eggplant. The Okra and Eggplant where started in summer, but stilled produced till about a month ago and I tore them out because I had had enough. I would like to say carrots as well, but I think my carrots were crappy. They grew but were short and stubby and I know that they were the "short kind" or whatever, but there wasn't enough to the carrot to give my hamster. I also use mirrors this time of year to get the most from the little bit of sun I get. I picked them all up at garage sales and cheap second hand stores. You just have to remember to get rid of the mirrors when the real heat comes, they will kill a plant in literally a 1/2 hour when it is hot. Also like tonight it is supposed to freeze here in the Space coast, I have to cover my entire garden. The few freezes we have gotten have killed some things. Not sure if you have any there yet or not. :wink: Hope I helps alittle

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Hostas??

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

get to know floridata.com It's a website for florida gardeners, with a searchable database of florida plants.

https://www.floridata.com/lists/shade_plants.cfm

That is a list of shade plants that do well in florida climate.

Unfortunately at that website, they are not into veggies, so they don't list any veggie crops.

The veggies that do well in (part) shade are the cool weather crops:

- lettuce spinach chard mustard greens, parsley etc. -- broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, peas, and some root crops like beets, onions, and carrots. Unfortunately those are also things that don't like heat and won't do real well in your summer. You would want to be planting your cool weather crops about now. Some of them, like the chard, onions and parsley will keep going through the summer and some won't.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”