applestar
Mod

jal_ut wrote:I also plant a few large onions each year and let them bloom and go to seed, just for the seed. No use buying what you can grow.
I KNOW he said this before, but sometimes, ideas just tumble around in my head and not "germinate :P" until something triggers it.

Last night, I was cutting up an organic yellow onion that came in a net bag. Someone had ripped the bag open, and I was thinking "what a waste the bag is ruined", then realized since both crimped metal holders were intact, it was in a perfect shape for a melon sling 8). I cut off the tag to look over later, started to cut up the onion,and then it hit me! :idea:

-- Might I not plant this onion and expect it to flower and seed? --

I grabbed the tag and to my delight, it was "distributed" from Washington state -- which hopefully means it's a long day onion. 8)

Stella Blue

The only thing I've started so far are peppers. After reading here about overwintering peppers indoors, I thought why not try to start them super early. I have 36 plants germinated, and put in 3.5 inch square pots, with 12 per day under the grow light and on a heat mat. I also put a fan on them a few times per week for a few hours to try to toughen them up. Mix of hot, sweet, and ornamentals.

If this fails, I'll do a 2nd planting closer to spring time.

Has anyone here tried something similar to this, or have any insight (positive or negative) to what I'm doing.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I grabbed the tag and to my delight, it was "distributed" from Washington state -- which hopefully means it's a long day onion.
Very likely a Walla Walla onion.

[url=https://www.sweetonions.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=43]Check this out![/url]
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”