Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

31 degrees for a few hours in my area

Should I cover the garden again or will the plants be okay?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hey, if 31 is predicted, cover.

Lucky you, its 6° F here this morning.

Edit to add:
Depends on what your crops are. Beans, squash, cukes, melons, tomatoes, peppers, are tender. They will freeze if the temp gets to 32.
Carrots, peas, cabbage, broccoli, onions will be OK.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

good advice from jal.... hard to be too sympathetic, we have 5 inches of snow coming down today. We will have only a few days (slightly) above freezing in the month of Jan.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:good advice from jal.... hard to be too sympathetic, we have 5 inches of snow coming down today. We will have only a few days (slightly) above freezing in the month of Jan.
And that comes just after the ninth coldest and fourth snowiest December. It would have been the fifth coldest but we got a couple of semi-warm days the very last week.

Mike

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But (though I'm a California girl at heart and hate cold) I'm so glad to see all this snow, because we had four months of intense drought before that. All this snow is feeding water back into the soil. If the drought had continued, we would have started to lose a lot of our big old trees soon....

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, if you're not growing root veg's or other cold-hardy crops, it would be a good idea to cover them.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I covered it. It was around 30 degrees at sunrise wednesday. So far the plants look well, and still blooming.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”