sixshooter

what kind of peppers come on...

Chicago style hot dogs. Small pinky finger sized zesty peppers. Anyone know? I haven't been to chi in awhile otherwise id ask my favorite hot dog joint.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

They are sport peppers. Tomato Growers Supply has seed. You can also use yellow/green (unripe) tabasco peppers (commonly sold in Louisiana, but sport peppers are more common in other areas). The pickling is easy, just stab a hole in each pepper to let the air out/vinegar in, pack them in a jar and pour boiling vinegar over top (some salt helps too). Because of the high vinegar concentration you can either can them properly or just put them in the refrigerator. I do a half-@$$#& canning job on them using left over jars/bottles and submerge the jars in boiling water bath for 10 minutes to sterilize and to seal the lid. This also helps force the air out of the peppers and suck the vinegar in as they cool. They are better after curing for a few weeks. The vinegar is good on red beans, jambalaya, chili etc.

Hortman

Hey, SixShooter. I googled “sport pepperâ€

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've never heard of these before! I think my pepper list just got on pepper longer :wink:.

sixshooter

Oh man the HG forum is the best! Thanks everyone. I've never seen sport pepper starter plants so I'm gonna be trying to start from seed. Welp!

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

Might be a little late but when I was ordering my seeds this year I noticed the pepper joe website is selling seeds for what it calls the "chicago sport pepper". The description says:

"The best Hot Dogs on the Planet are in Chicago. Just go to any ball game there and see what everyone is eating. They blend the best ingredients in the windy city to create this masterpiece, And the key ingredient is the Chicago Sports Pepper. It grows upright facing the sun in huge cluster. This very prolific and tasty pepper is about 2" long and is picked while still green."

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”