Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Letting seeds freeze!

Is it better to keep seeds in freezing conditions like in the garage where they are exposed to constant freezing and thawing all winter! Maybe I should keep them in the refrig at 40 degrees. Keeping them dry or in a plastic bag in the refrig or freezer! Some seeds even the small ones seem to tolarate many harsh conditions while corn or beans are delicate. I guess its the water conent! Who has the answer?? They say that freesing seeds will keep them for a 100 years!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I would say that the constant temperature wold be better than the freeze-thaw cycles. The freezer should be fine.

Many folks prefer to store their seeds in paper envelopes rather than in plastic due to condensation. When you are saving seeds, moisture is the enemy.

You may put all of your envelopes into an air-tight container and put some corn-starch or silica gel packets in with them to absorb and ambient moisture.

You may also find some good info at [url=https://www.seedsave.org/issi/issi.html]International Seed Saving Institute's Website[/url] too.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”