DeborahL
Green Thumb

Salt vs. Slugs and Snails

I just had to re-plant radish seed. Slugs and snails got the tiny new tops.
I plant in a large ceramic pot.
If I buy a box of salt and pour a circle around the pot on the ground, would that kill the invaders before they could get in the pot?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Maybe. I wouldn't use salt if the pot is sitting on soil or even on something like a patio, where the salt can run off into nearby soil if it's dissolved by rain or by water that drains out the bottom of the plant container.

First, check to make sure the slugs and snails aren't taking refuge underneath the pot during the day. Little ones sometimes just hide in crevices in the soil or between the soil and the side of the pot.

I think I would set out a few a shallow containers of beer for the slugs and snails. They like the stuff and drown in it. (I use the cheapest brand I can buy.) Don't put it right beside your plant container, though, because it will draw slugs and snails from quite a distance. Put the beer about a yard away from your plant container.

Another method is to lay pieces of scrap wood around near the planter. (Actually, anything that sits/lies flat on the ground will work.) The snails and slugs will hide under it at dawn. Later in the day, you can pick up or turn over the objects you have set out as 'traps' and kill any snails or slugs clinging to them.

I do battle with slugs and snails almost year round. I've found the very best method of control is simply to go outside 3 or 4 times at night with a flashlight and examine my plants, picking off and killing any pests that I discover. Do you find the telltale slime trails left by slugs and snails? You might be dealing with some other pest.

This is a subject that comes up often on the forums. Use the Search function (on the black tool bar just below the forum header) to find other discussions. Just enter the words slugs and snails in the search box. You'll find a lot of different suggestions for control of these critters. :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Kisal has some pretty good ideas. I personally like to stay in the house at night and drink the beer. :lol: :P

You could also try copper strips around the top of your containers. Slugs and snails do not cross over copper. I believe their slime and copper creates a electrical charge.

I personally think Sluggo is the best and safest way to go. Safe for pets and adds iron phosphate to the soil.

https://www.paghat.com/slugcontrol.html

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Kisal has some pretty good ideas. I personally like to stay in the house at night and drink the beer. :lol: :P
LMFAO I doubt you'd want to drink the brands I serve to the slugs! Even the snails around my place won't go near it! :lol:

DeborahL
Green Thumb

The reason I don't want to put anything in the soil is because I grow radishes is to get the greens for my pet rabbits.
The copper idea is good, and I wouldn't be constantly re-salting.
I'm assuming the copper is at Home Depot?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've heard about using copper to deter slugs as well.

I've also heard that crushed eggshells around the plant work as well. The slugs aren't supposed to like the sharp edges.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I sure wouldn't depend on eggshells to protect my plants. Slugs and snails can crawl over the sharp edge of a razor blade without being harmed. :wink:

tomakers

Kisal wrote:I sure wouldn't depend on eggshells to protect my plants. Slugs and snails can crawl over the sharp edge of a razor blade without being harmed. :wink:
Diatomaceous (sp) earth will work to keep them off, unfortunately after I got a good deal on a large package, I read that it also affects earthworms and now I have to go back to beer or kill my worms.:oops:
Tom

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”