The Bearded Farmer

Picking up my supplies today!!!

Just scored 30 vynl windows off craigslist for free!! All of them are roughly 3ft x 4ft double pane. Also got one half moon type window which should be a cool detail.

I'm super excited for warmer weather so I can start building! With them all being the same it should be a really straight forward build. Looking to go about 6ft x 6ft or 6ft x 8ft, not sure yet.

We really need a greenhouse forum here!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow!Now that that'll give you a reason to get pumped up about spring. Are you going to use any supplemental heating system in your greenhouse?

Congratulations on the find!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Good job. Will be interested to see your progress. I attempted to find some used sliding glass doors for the walls of greenhouse, but no luck. Good for you to find so many windows at a "good" price.

I settled on some storm windows from Home Depot and the corrugated clear plastic for the roof and fill in around windows. The result will be about 8x12, with another 8x12x12 triangle, if that makes sense.

I am building this onto the back of my tractor shed--not the best sunlight but the best spot I could come up with economically. Not sure how I will heat it yet, but propane is a possibility.

The Bearded Farmer

I'm really trying to go with all glass on mine. If I would need more I will wait it out till I have enough. I'm even tossing around the idea of doing the frame in cedar, but that will double my cost.

As far as heat... this year it probably won't have anything more than black water jugs or at most a black 55 gallon drum. I haven't really considered any serious heating yet.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

A tip that may save you money - find a very reliable measurement of light intensity in your GH in winter time. Heating mine last year was economically feasible but, at least here in the Ohio Valley, we can go days with little or no sunlight. Keeping the area warm enough was not a problem, but without light, the heat will not make any difference.

[url]https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/HO/HO-238-W.pdf[/url] gives you an idea of what you can expect. Of course, you can use artificial light but then you have to decide if it is economically wise.

One easy and relatively cheap way to add a bunch of insulation without cutting down on light transmission - buy some bubble wrap. Cut it to fit the glass, spray the glass with a bit of water and apply it directly, bubble side in. It will adhere the entire season and is a piece of cake to remove.

Mike

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Farmer, why cedar? Is it just for aesthetic purposes or is there some functional aspect, as well?

Wordwiz, are you saying to put the bubble wrap on the outside of the greenhouse or the inside?

The Bearded Farmer

Cedar will last forever outside. Pressure treated lumber will eventually break down unless it is constantly maintained.

Great idea with the bubble wrap wordwiz! I seriously doubt the wife will be into paying to heat it. Mostly looking to start seed a little early and start my next plantings while the others are still in the garden.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

OK, thanks for clarifying that. I totally knew about the weather-resistance of cedar, but my knowledge seemed to escape me at that moment :roll:.

Keep us updated on your progress :).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”