wordwiz
Green Thumb

Ordered some seed starting media today

A case of [url]https://www.horticulturesource.com/grow-media-hydroton-higromite-rockwool-stonewool-coco-coconut-soil-worm-castings-c25/smithers-oasis-smithers-oasis-wedge-tray-with-medium-5643-102-cells-tray-6-x-17-40-trays-per-case-30-cases-per-pallet-sold-in-case-p5379/?osCsid=ba7e938272d2298f851ae31c2d93f254]them[/url].
I've been playing with them for a while and like how plants grow. They are made from some kind of synthetic material but they crumble into almost dust when they dry out. Seeds germinate faster and so far, more effectively than in potting mix or the Bio-Dome inserts. One caveat - the seedlings need to almost stay in water or get watered every day. But it doesn't hurt them, at least toms. I've got some that germinated about a month ago, I'll be curious to see what their roots look like in another couple of weeks

Another thing I want to try is transplanting them into 72-cell nursery trays once the plants get a bit larger. Not for my use - I'll happily transplant them in the ground. Rather, for plants I want to sell. I know customers and some of them would take them home, stick them in the yard and forget to water for 3-4 days. Then blame me for the plants not living. The potting mix will help retain moisture.

I also ordered the first of my tomato seeds - 600 Early Wonder. It's going to be so hard to resist starting them for two months. It's a good thing my PayPal account doesn't have more funds in it and that a couple of seed sellers don't accept PP - otherwise I might have to rent a place to store all the seeds, Remay, potting trays and soil, slips, plants and trees.

Mike

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Interestingly enough, the site says:
"growing medium that is very forgiving on water, yet is able to keep the plant wet without total saturation of media, sums up WEDGE® Growing Medium. Commercial greenhouse growers have found WEDGE® Medium takes away the issues of root rot."
This seems to be contrary to your experiences with them. Good to know.

This site is pretty neat, they even have some compost tea supplies.

hydroguy

Looking good Mike! Wondered if you've ever tried "Sure To Grow"? It's been around for a couple years now but I"ve never tried it, looking to find somebody that has.

Thanks,

hydroguy

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”