Dany_mex
Cool Member

What kind of chili plant is this one.

Hi, well a while ago I planted some chilli seeds, and planted some serrano and manzano chillies but, I transplanted one into a hydroponics system and the other in soil and I'm getting confused in what kind of chilli is the one in the hydroponic system, I watched some pics and I think it is a manzano chili plant, and well of course I can recognize the difference between the fruits or the chillies but right now just by the leaves it's hard.

Here is the pic.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG01511-20101225-1512.jpg[/img]

Also wanted to take the chance to make a question about aphids, my rocket or arugula plant has some problems with aphids how do I get rid of them by making an organic fertilizer, I've tried garlic and chillis pesticide but that hasn't work and the brands that you can recommend me may not be available here in Mexico, do you have another recipe for organic pesticide?.

Cheers.

applestar
Mod

That is almost certainly a potato leaf strain tomato plant with the peach fuzz along the stems. Their seeds can look similar.

I'm battling aphids on my hot peppers too! I use hard sprays of water Loosen the misthead of the sprayer to deliver larger droplets, then spray from few inches away, and hard sprays and general misting of mild soapy water -- a squirt from liquid soap dispenser per 24 oz water which also contains small chunks of hot pepper and garlic. (I add a dribble --few drops-- of canola oil every 7 or 8 refills). For soap, I use liquid Castile soap -- Dr. Bronners or Whole Food brand Peppermint. You can also simply shave solid hand soap and dissolve. It's important to be sure you aren't using detergent, though dishwashing soap is often recommended. Also, pepper foliage seems sensitive to stronger solutions so use weaker solutions.

I visually inspect by turning the containers and looking at the foliage from every direction. Initially spraying with the soap solution gets some of the aphids moving and easier to spot. I squish with my fingers any on mature leaf surfaces both top and bottom. They "pop" :twisted: Pay particular attention to tiny new leaf budding out and to flower buds where the aphids cluster. Soap spray is useful there since the solution will form a droplet on the buds and pool in unfolding leaves (but another reason to use mild solution on these delicate growths). I like to follow with hard plain water spray after 10~15 minutes so as not to burn the leaves just in case. The aphids will be knocked right off of even the hard to reach nooks.

As always, don't spray in strong sunlight, especially right after adding new drops of oil. Oh, and I use filtered water in all my sprays. I use the soapy water every few days but since I mist the plants every morning, I also just use plain water to knock them off the flower and leaf buds. They sometimes climb back up but they're easier to squish when they are on the stem. When you do use the soapy spray, be sure to thoroughly spray the oil surface and all around the containers where they might have fallen. The soap/oil clogs their breathing holes and suffocates them.

soil
Greener Thumb

if its fuzzy id say serrano if not manzano. all of our serrano pepper plants have a slight fuzz on them. no other peppers I grow do this. it might be why they are more cold hardy too. really though theres only one way to find out :)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

That looks like manzano (C. pubescens). The serrano (C. anuum) will look like most other common peppers.

csvd87

+1 for the manzano,

applestar
Mod

OK, looks like I'm outvoted. :lol: I guess I don't know my peppers. :oops: :wink:

csvd87

I was going to say the leaf growth is similar to that of bush beans but from other pics I have seen of manzanos the leaves are usually that lighter green, and C. Pubescens will be quite fuzzy. On the other hand my Onza Chile plant is quite fuzzy, and its an annum, it looks nothing like any other chile plant I have seen/grown, I may be able to post a pic. It's not the healthiest looking, that's because its in an experimental hydro system.

[img]https://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/binchnunker/Wrecked%20Stuff/IMAG0209.jpg[/img]

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'd say that it's probably a manzano as well. I don't think it looks like a tomato plant...there's just something that's not, um, tomato-ee about it :lol:.

applestar
Mod

Alright, FINE! I don't know my tomato plants either! LMFAO :>

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Hahaha, thanks guys I also think it is a manzano because of the type of leaf, like one of you said this leafs look different from most peppers or chillis.

We'll see when the flowers start to show.

THank you so much.

kooljerk
Newly Registered

manzanas or manzanos I'm always unsure of the spelling are definently very fuzzy at the stems they live up to 10 years they don't die unless they freeze they grow up to 16 feet tall and if you planted them then you should know they are the only chili that has BLACK seeds..they grow in the mountains in south america andies?I cant spell they are much hotter than jalapeno and serano they have a very unique flavor and are really good with chopped fine onions say 50 50 and a lot of black pepper some garlic salt and fresh lime juice liberally squeezed in super good on tacos and tostadas 8)

Dany_mex
Cool Member

LOL, for to stop getting confused it is Manzano, if you say or write manzana here in Mexico or in South America you would be saying apple hahah or apple chili, so Manzano.

Cheers.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”