rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes!!! Isn't it amazing seeing little baby plants pop up where there was only a tiny seed before? I love it.... it's why I grow so many, even though I don't have room to plant them all. It gets me through the winter blahs... in Jan in the dark and cold of winter, I am working with light and little green things and reminding myself that there will be a spring!

The Mad Hatter

Well, I got home today from work and another one had sprouted out of his little home. There are two more that are trying their best to make it out. Still no peppers coming yet, but I believe that the peppers take longer to germinate. At least that's what I remember from last year...

T.M.H.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Yes!!! Isn't it amazing seeing little baby plants pop up where there was only a tiny seed before? I love it.... it's why I grow so many, even though I don't have room to plant them all. It gets me through the winter blahs... in Jan in the dark and cold of winter, I am working with light and little green things and reminding myself that there will be a spring!
I know what you mean. Walking into a room full of little green plants, bright lights and heat makes me forget about the black snow, cold temps, gloomy days. We need to write to the American Psychiatric Association and tell them the best remedy for SADD is to start plants. A couple of shop grow lights, a few seeds, a couple quarts of potting mix - way cheaper and far more effective than any scrip the doc might write!

Mike

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Just wondering.....is the heat necessary? I started all my plants without heat last year and everything still came up...
Should I have heat? Will things always come up without it or did I just get lucky last year because they were in our sunny bow window with the curtains closed (which kept them hidden from my son AND trapped a lot of warmth?)

Hatter I LOVE the setup! I'm also jealous... :wink:

applestar
Mod

Most seeds will germinate faster with heat -- cabbages in 2 days instead of -- for example, 5~7days, tomatoes in 3 days instead of 7~10 days, etc. Some reluctant peppers can take as much as 3 to 4 weeks without. In the uncertain indoor conditions, including overzealous watering by the doting gardener, the seeds can sometimes rot -- or get dried out at the critical time when they're just germinating -- before they can begin to grow.

Try taking a thermometer reading of your window under the same conditions (and around the same time of the year -- sun exposure, etc.). That'll tell you how warm your seeds were.

Remember, though, that not ALL seeds want the same temperature. I like referring to Johnny's catalog and website optimum germination info for individual vegs and some flowers. I think Territorial has good temp range info too. They go into details like ideal germination soil temp and ideal seedling growth air temp including daytime and night time temps AFTER they are taken off the heating mat. There are other seed catalogs that offer good instructions like that too. They're free (and *somebody* went to a lot of trouble to compile the information) so make good use of them. :wink:

When you plant the early spring seeds outside, you'll find out that it takes THEM as much as 2 weeks to germinate. Even though I *know* this, I get so used to the speedy indoor seeds dashing off the starting block, that I get worried and impatient by turns waiting for the direct-sown seeds to grow. :lol:
Last edited by applestar on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Mad Hatter

The main reason that I built the heat table is that my basement is cold. The air temorearure is between 58 and 64 on average. I have read that peppers for example like the soil to be around 78*.

Last year I started seeds when transplanst should have been going in. They did produce peppers, but it was late and spotty at best. I also had no grow lights. This produced tall plants that were skinny. I believe this to be because they were always reaching for the window where the sun came through in the mornings.

I also did it because I thought it would be a very cool project to tinker with in the winter time. It was super low cost and You can get it all off Craig's list.

I would say that in my own opinion that if you had results from last year that produced good strong plants than that is what I would do this year. As I said before, last year I never had a good place that I could set up and great results, let alone decent results. This year I am confident that I will have very strong and healthy plants.

T.M.H.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Hatter,

There is a correlation among light levels, temps, soil (potting mix) moisture and nuits and how they affect seedlings. If you have low temps, and low light levels, water less frequently and do not add many nuits, especially N. The seedlings will grow in proportion. Google 'Jim Faust Daily Light Intensity Greenhouse Levels'. You should get several hits - most of them are well worth reading and saving.

Mike

The Mad Hatter

wordwiz wrote:Hatter,

There is a correlation among light levels, temps, soil (potting mix) moisture and nuits and how they affect seedlings. If you have low temps, and low light levels, water less frequently and do not add many nuits, especially N. The seedlings will grow in proportion. Google 'Jim Faust Daily Light Intensity Greenhouse Levels'. You should get several hits - most of them are well worth reading and saving.

Mike
Thanks Mike for the link information. I will have to Google that once I get home from work. This morning I have eleven total tiny little baby cabbage plants. Still no pepper plants though. Apparently the peppers are not a Skynard fan, so I will have to find them something else to listen to. To bad I do not have any "salsa" music lol.

Have a great day everyone! Its beginning to snow here.

T.M.H.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

All this seedling talk is killing me!! It'll be a good month and half before I can/should start seeds. :( Usually I love winter and spend my free time snowmobiling, but this year the freak warm spell melted all the snow.
I can't even mess around cuz no one is selling seed starter or anything yet!!
*grumble grumble*
I guess I'll just keep perusing the seed catalogs and continue my search for worms while all you lucky ducks in the warmer climates start your babies!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Don't fret over the peppers. Given how well you have heated your tray, you should see results in under a week. By 2 weeks, you should have all of your seedlings up.

What kinds of peppers are you growing?

The Mad Hatter

Right now I have Mariachi peppers that I am trying to start. I also will be starting Biker Billy peppers, Big Daddy peppers, Great Stuff peppers, Red Delicious peppers,Costa Rican peppers, Orange Bell II peppers, Fresh Salsa Tomatoes, Porterhouse Tomato, Mailrigolds.

Once it gets warm out I am planting Cherry Bomb II Radishes, Pole Beans, and Cucumbers.

Here is the latest pictukee of my newest arrivals.

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/107.jpg[/img]

T.M.H.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

What kind of plants are those? They don't look much like peppers.

Oh and I'd be careful about using those seed-starters wrapped in the cloth. I've never used them myself, but I've noticed a lot of members here have had bad experiences with them drying out, etc. Be sure to take the cloth off before you plant. From what I've heard.....it takes a long time for it to "boi-degrade."

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yeah, looks like broccoli or cabbage seedlings. Did you start some of those?

The Mad Hatter

garden5 wrote:What kind of plants are those? They don't look much like peppers.

Oh and I'd be careful about using those seed-starters wrapped in the cloth. I've never used them myself, but I've noticed a lot of members here have had bad experiences with them drying out, etc. Be sure to take the cloth off before you plant. From what I've heard.....it takes a long time for it to "boi-degrade."
You are correct on the wrap. I plan on letting them get to about an inch high to two inches the cutting the wrap off and transplanting into my big Dixie cups.

What kind of soil does everyone recommend for the transfer plants? I was thinking about the miracle grow stuff. Any suggestions?

Also, I plan on putting some holes in the bottom of my cups. His many and his large? I was thinking four holes at 1/4"? That should allow enough drainage. You should just spritz with a sprayer from the top correct?

Thanks everyone, and have a great Monday!

T.M.H.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, I don't recommend misting seedlings. Creates too much humidity without necessarily getting the soil damp enough. Set your dixie cups in a shallow tray and pour a little water in the bottom of the tray, just like 1/4" deep or so, and let the soil wick it up.

The Mad Hatter

rainbowgardener wrote:yeah, looks like broccoli or cabbage seedlings. Did you start some of those?
Yes, those are cabbage plants. I started the cabbage just as an experiment to make sure that my new table did not get everything to warm and cook the little seeds. So far everything is going very well.

I now have nineteen cabbage plants that have sprouted. I also noticed before I left home for work there is one Mariachi Pepper the is just starting to poke his head out. He will be able to love to the non dome flat when I get home.

T.M.H.

The Mad Hatter

rainbowgardener wrote:No, I don't recommend misting seedlings. Creates too much humidity without necessarily getting the soil damp enough. Set your dixie cups in a shallow tray and pour a little water in the bottom of the tray, just like 1/4" deep or so, and let the soil wick it up.
Excellent. Great advice. Thank you very much.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Soil for up-potting.....-sigh-
I don't usually like to be this person but, not Miracle Grow! Maybe everyone else can jump in on the evils of Miracle Grow, but there are TONS of other things besides Miracle Grow. And your soil creatures will thank you.
You can purchase organic potting mix, make your own using any number of different formulas.
By the end of summer I shall have proof organic plants grow better and produce more than miracle grow plants!

The Mad Hatter

Dixana wrote:Soil for up-potting.....-sigh-
I don't usually like to be this person but, not Miracle Grow! Maybe everyone else can jump in on the evils of Miracle Grow, but there are TONS of other things besides Miracle Grow. And your soil creatures will thank you.
You can purchase organic potting mix, make your own using any number of different formulas.
By the end of summer I shall have proof organic plants grow better and produce more than miracle grow plants!
Ok, so miracle grow is not any good then? Forgive me for asking but what is wrong with it. Keep in mind that this is only my second year and my first one don't count lol.

Is there another reputable name brand that I chould look for?

T.M.H.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

LMFAO
He will be able to love to the non dome flat when I get home.
TMH, I need a translation here. :)

I still get frustrated when we talk about plastic cups and having to drill holes in them. 4" nursery pots are available by the thousands. FREE! They fit into flats, also free. They nestle together and free from falling over. Did I mention they are free. :lol:
Soil for up-potting.....-sigh-
Dixana, You don't need to hide your feelings or politics from me. Many people here at Helpful Gardener will back you up. You answered the question with your last line.

I will add that it's a Scotts brand product and leave it at that. :twisted:

Eric

The Mad Hatter

Yeah, proof reading is my friend. Or at least it should be. Heheh. Its tough. I do all this from my Droid phone. Big thumbs, small keys, and trying to not get caught goofing off at my desk is a big chore lol.

As for the poring mix, I fuss I don't really mind if it is organic it not. I just need rob find something that is going to get them off to the best start possible. Don't want to stir up a hornets nest lol.

Where are you getting the free four inch pots?

T.M.H.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I get my nursery pots from a local landscaping material yard. They have a nursery pot recycle exchange area.

I would try all the landscapers in your area. Check the local nurseries. Home Depot and Lowe's. Maybe even try at the Farmers Market.

If you see a landscaper, gardener, maintenance crew, stop and ask. keeps the plastic out of the landfills.

Eric

applestar
Mod

Also, I haven't tried this myself, but I know my county has a hard plastic recycling drop-off area. The description for this area includes plastic nursery pots. :idea:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Apple,

sehr gut

Eric

applestar
Mod

Have you noticed how very educational this forum is?
I'm constantly researching new concepts and even foreign language words! :lol: 8)

Domo arigato, Eric. :wink:

Dixana
Greener Thumb

DD I think your very lucky out there. I checked every nursery, landscaper, and store within a half an hour from here last summer.
Every single one reuses their pots. :( Yay for the environment, not yay for me. I only have a handful of 4" pots so I'm probably going to have to break down and buy some. -sigh-

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Apple,

ie ie son na koto iwanaide

Dixana,

Don't give up, if there's a will there's a way. :D

Eric

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Many folks like to grow their seedlings in s sterile potting mix, but I just like to use some dirt amended with compost. You just have to make sure that your mixture is draining so that it does not get water-logged. If do go with a potting mix, be sure to add some nutrients from time to time since the mixture will be devoid of any.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Many folks like to grow their seedlings in s sterile potting mix, but I just like to use some dirt amended with compost. You just have to make sure that your mixture is draining so that it does not get water-logged. If do go with a potting mix, be sure to add some nutrients from time to time since the mixture will be devoid of any.
On another post, we are playing with words.

Dirt vs. soil, My definition of dirt is void of nutrients (life). Soil on the other hand is filled with life and nutrients.

I would add, be careful with the nutrients. Leggy (spindly) seedlings are caused by low light and to much nitrogen.

Eric

Dixana
Greener Thumb

DD-That is a FACT!! I up potted some plants into straight up worm castings 2 years ago. HOLY CATS!! I'll never do that again unless they're outside in the sun!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

If do go with a potting mix, be sure to add some nutrients from time to time since the mixture will be devoid of any.
G5, I hope you don't feel I'm picking on you but, many potting soils have nutrients in them. This is the one I like to use.

GARDNER & BLOOME POTTING SOIL Natural & Organic For All Indoor & Outdoor Potting ••Organic, long-lasting ingredients including chicken manure, peat moss, worm castings & kelp meal.
•Perfectly balanced with essential plant nutrients & special water-saving formula features for excellent growth.
•Ideal for indoor & outdoor potting, container planting, raised bed applications & an excellent addition to existing garden soil.

Seed starting, I like peat moss and perlite. No nutrients here.

Buzz Buzz
Eric

Dixana
Greener Thumb

DD where do you find non Miracle Grow Perlite? I looked and looked last year and finally gave up. NO one had any :(

The Mad Hatter

Just a quick update while I cook dinner for the youngins.

I picked up potting soil from the local Earl May and potted up the cabbage and some peppers that were ready. Once I had the cabbage on the other table, I set up a second flat and dome. I planted 34 Biker Billy Pepper seeds.

I am really liking this heated table. Peppers aresproutng all over down there.

T.M.H

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

DD where do you find non Miracle Grow Perlite? I looked and looked last year and finally gave up. NO one had any
Dixana,
I couldn't remember the name of the seed starting mix, I used last year. I stopped at the hardware and found it. Unfortunately it was a Scotts product disguised as Whitney Farms. :twisted: So now I'm also looking for a source. :( I may have to go off island, rats!

https://www.exclusivehomecenter.com/popup_image.php?pID=5052246

Eric

The Mad Hatter

Just another short update for today, then off to make some supper.

The last two days I have had around seven or so Rachel day that were up enough that I felt comfortable to put them into the plastic cups. They will reside there until sits time to transfer plant to the garden.

The heat table is still chugging along very well. Little plants are happy. I did have to give em a bit of water. They said they appreciated that.

Hope everyone has had a great day.

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/IMG_20110113_172817.jpg[/img]

garden5
Super Green Thumb

DDF, no hard feelings at all. I'm glad you corrected me and brought to light the great product. You are absolutely right, some potting soil mixtures do have nutrients built right in. Just do your research and make sure that they really are organic, if that's what you're going for, that is.

THM, glad things are still chugging along.

The Mad Hatter

Has anyone used the Bio domes from park seeds? The look alot nicer than what I am using now. Can anyone tell me if they are using just potting mix to fill the cells and start the seeds? Thanks.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

TMH,

They sure look nice, but $25.00 a pop. ouch! Looking at their picture, they sell cubes for the trays. I would use seed starting mix.

Eric

The Mad Hatter

Yeah. The sticker shock still is a little painful yet today lol. I do like the looks if that double side by side though. And they are tall. I winder is there fold be a dampening off issue if the were left in there until they were tall enought to reach the top of the dome.

I am looking at a better way for next year and getting away from the expanding pellets. I don't care for the netting on them, they seem to dry out quickly, and I don't care for cutting the netting off as the tend to crumble. Even the moist ones.

I thought with these if you you were to start out with a potting mix in them nice cone shaped cells that may be just the ticket. Easy to start with a dome yet, no cutting nets, no crumbling, and it looks lime they would be super easy to pot up.

T.M.H.

The Mad Hatter

Well, I have decided that at the end of this growing season I am going to order these BioDomes. Turns out that one of the guys from work uses them and loves them.

He keeps them in the dome until they are to the top the pots everything up. Says that you don't have to worry about them getting to much or to little water either.

All I know is that I potted up seven more of my little guys tonight and had three more crumble while taking off the netting. It didn't hurt the plant any but is still upsetting just the same.. I will have two more to pot up tomorrow and will be back to sewing more seeds. Good night everyone. Mama and I are out for some Mexican food tonight.

T.M.H.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”