The Mad Hatter

rainbowgardener wrote:yeah, looks like broccoli or cabbage seedlings. Did you start some of those?
Yes, those are cabbage plants. I started the cabbage just as an experiment to make sure that my new table did not get everything to warm and cook the little seeds. So far everything is going very well.

I now have nineteen cabbage plants that have sprouted. I also noticed before I left home for work there is one Mariachi Pepper the is just starting to poke his head out. He will be able to love to the non dome flat when I get home.

T.M.H.

The Mad Hatter

rainbowgardener wrote:No, I don't recommend misting seedlings. Creates too much humidity without necessarily getting the soil damp enough. Set your dixie cups in a shallow tray and pour a little water in the bottom of the tray, just like 1/4" deep or so, and let the soil wick it up.
Excellent. Great advice. Thank you very much.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Soil for up-potting.....-sigh-
I don't usually like to be this person but, not Miracle Grow! Maybe everyone else can jump in on the evils of Miracle Grow, but there are TONS of other things besides Miracle Grow. And your soil creatures will thank you.
You can purchase organic potting mix, make your own using any number of different formulas.
By the end of summer I shall have proof organic plants grow better and produce more than miracle grow plants!

The Mad Hatter

Dixana wrote:Soil for up-potting.....-sigh-
I don't usually like to be this person but, not Miracle Grow! Maybe everyone else can jump in on the evils of Miracle Grow, but there are TONS of other things besides Miracle Grow. And your soil creatures will thank you.
You can purchase organic potting mix, make your own using any number of different formulas.
By the end of summer I shall have proof organic plants grow better and produce more than miracle grow plants!
Ok, so miracle grow is not any good then? Forgive me for asking but what is wrong with it. Keep in mind that this is only my second year and my first one don't count lol.

Is there another reputable name brand that I chould look for?

T.M.H.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

LMFAO
He will be able to love to the non dome flat when I get home.
TMH, I need a translation here. :)

I still get frustrated when we talk about plastic cups and having to drill holes in them. 4" nursery pots are available by the thousands. FREE! They fit into flats, also free. They nestle together and free from falling over. Did I mention they are free. :lol:
Soil for up-potting.....-sigh-
Dixana, You don't need to hide your feelings or politics from me. Many people here at Helpful Gardener will back you up. You answered the question with your last line.

I will add that it's a Scotts brand product and leave it at that. :twisted:

Eric

The Mad Hatter

Yeah, proof reading is my friend. Or at least it should be. Heheh. Its tough. I do all this from my Droid phone. Big thumbs, small keys, and trying to not get caught goofing off at my desk is a big chore lol.

As for the poring mix, I fuss I don't really mind if it is organic it not. I just need rob find something that is going to get them off to the best start possible. Don't want to stir up a hornets nest lol.

Where are you getting the free four inch pots?

T.M.H.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I get my nursery pots from a local landscaping material yard. They have a nursery pot recycle exchange area.

I would try all the landscapers in your area. Check the local nurseries. Home Depot and Lowe's. Maybe even try at the Farmers Market.

If you see a landscaper, gardener, maintenance crew, stop and ask. keeps the plastic out of the landfills.

Eric

applestar
Mod

Also, I haven't tried this myself, but I know my county has a hard plastic recycling drop-off area. The description for this area includes plastic nursery pots. :idea:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Apple,

sehr gut

Eric

applestar
Mod

Have you noticed how very educational this forum is?
I'm constantly researching new concepts and even foreign language words! :lol: 8)

Domo arigato, Eric. :wink:

Dixana
Greener Thumb

DD I think your very lucky out there. I checked every nursery, landscaper, and store within a half an hour from here last summer.
Every single one reuses their pots. :( Yay for the environment, not yay for me. I only have a handful of 4" pots so I'm probably going to have to break down and buy some. -sigh-

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Apple,

ie ie son na koto iwanaide

Dixana,

Don't give up, if there's a will there's a way. :D

Eric

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Many folks like to grow their seedlings in s sterile potting mix, but I just like to use some dirt amended with compost. You just have to make sure that your mixture is draining so that it does not get water-logged. If do go with a potting mix, be sure to add some nutrients from time to time since the mixture will be devoid of any.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Many folks like to grow their seedlings in s sterile potting mix, but I just like to use some dirt amended with compost. You just have to make sure that your mixture is draining so that it does not get water-logged. If do go with a potting mix, be sure to add some nutrients from time to time since the mixture will be devoid of any.
On another post, we are playing with words.

Dirt vs. soil, My definition of dirt is void of nutrients (life). Soil on the other hand is filled with life and nutrients.

I would add, be careful with the nutrients. Leggy (spindly) seedlings are caused by low light and to much nitrogen.

Eric

Dixana
Greener Thumb

DD-That is a FACT!! I up potted some plants into straight up worm castings 2 years ago. HOLY CATS!! I'll never do that again unless they're outside in the sun!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

If do go with a potting mix, be sure to add some nutrients from time to time since the mixture will be devoid of any.
G5, I hope you don't feel I'm picking on you but, many potting soils have nutrients in them. This is the one I like to use.

GARDNER & BLOOME POTTING SOIL Natural & Organic For All Indoor & Outdoor Potting ••Organic, long-lasting ingredients including chicken manure, peat moss, worm castings & kelp meal.
•Perfectly balanced with essential plant nutrients & special water-saving formula features for excellent growth.
•Ideal for indoor & outdoor potting, container planting, raised bed applications & an excellent addition to existing garden soil.

Seed starting, I like peat moss and perlite. No nutrients here.

Buzz Buzz
Eric

Dixana
Greener Thumb

DD where do you find non Miracle Grow Perlite? I looked and looked last year and finally gave up. NO one had any :(

The Mad Hatter

Just a quick update while I cook dinner for the youngins.

I picked up potting soil from the local Earl May and potted up the cabbage and some peppers that were ready. Once I had the cabbage on the other table, I set up a second flat and dome. I planted 34 Biker Billy Pepper seeds.

I am really liking this heated table. Peppers aresproutng all over down there.

T.M.H

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

DD where do you find non Miracle Grow Perlite? I looked and looked last year and finally gave up. NO one had any
Dixana,
I couldn't remember the name of the seed starting mix, I used last year. I stopped at the hardware and found it. Unfortunately it was a Scotts product disguised as Whitney Farms. :twisted: So now I'm also looking for a source. :( I may have to go off island, rats!

https://www.exclusivehomecenter.com/popup_image.php?pID=5052246

Eric

The Mad Hatter

Just another short update for today, then off to make some supper.

The last two days I have had around seven or so Rachel day that were up enough that I felt comfortable to put them into the plastic cups. They will reside there until sits time to transfer plant to the garden.

The heat table is still chugging along very well. Little plants are happy. I did have to give em a bit of water. They said they appreciated that.

Hope everyone has had a great day.

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/IMG_20110113_172817.jpg[/img]

garden5
Super Green Thumb

DDF, no hard feelings at all. I'm glad you corrected me and brought to light the great product. You are absolutely right, some potting soil mixtures do have nutrients built right in. Just do your research and make sure that they really are organic, if that's what you're going for, that is.

THM, glad things are still chugging along.

The Mad Hatter

Has anyone used the Bio domes from park seeds? The look alot nicer than what I am using now. Can anyone tell me if they are using just potting mix to fill the cells and start the seeds? Thanks.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

TMH,

They sure look nice, but $25.00 a pop. ouch! Looking at their picture, they sell cubes for the trays. I would use seed starting mix.

Eric

The Mad Hatter

Yeah. The sticker shock still is a little painful yet today lol. I do like the looks if that double side by side though. And they are tall. I winder is there fold be a dampening off issue if the were left in there until they were tall enought to reach the top of the dome.

I am looking at a better way for next year and getting away from the expanding pellets. I don't care for the netting on them, they seem to dry out quickly, and I don't care for cutting the netting off as the tend to crumble. Even the moist ones.

I thought with these if you you were to start out with a potting mix in them nice cone shaped cells that may be just the ticket. Easy to start with a dome yet, no cutting nets, no crumbling, and it looks lime they would be super easy to pot up.

T.M.H.

The Mad Hatter

Well, I have decided that at the end of this growing season I am going to order these BioDomes. Turns out that one of the guys from work uses them and loves them.

He keeps them in the dome until they are to the top the pots everything up. Says that you don't have to worry about them getting to much or to little water either.

All I know is that I potted up seven more of my little guys tonight and had three more crumble while taking off the netting. It didn't hurt the plant any but is still upsetting just the same.. I will have two more to pot up tomorrow and will be back to sewing more seeds. Good night everyone. Mama and I are out for some Mexican food tonight.

T.M.H.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well if I had to guess, I would guess that keeping the domes on after the seedlings are sprouted would create perfect conditions for damping off. But I haven't used them so, I don't have personal experience.

I grow around 500 little plants a year from seeds and have never used any domes. It works just fine.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12209

applestar
Mod

Those domes have vents but I'd still be concerned about insufficient air movement and weakling stems. Also, I have a similar domed thingy that I bought for the heating mat it came with at half price, and the dome is too high unless you have fresh really high intensity light tubes. In other words, the dome prevents lowering the lights close enough to the top ot the seedlings for sturdy growth. :roll:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Although I, too, have never used these domes before, I've always heard that they have a nasty tendency to cause damping off. Also, Apps raises a great point in that the height of the domes may prevent you from keeping the lights close enough.

Sorry if were are all sounding like a butch of rain clouds...raining on your domes :lol:. We've just always gotten along well enough without them.

Now, to be fair, I would think these domes would be beneficial in keeping the soil warmer...aiding in germination. However, I don't think that benefit is worth the price. You'd be better off buying more lights......so you can grow more plants :wink:

The Mad Hatter

This is why I surround myself with people smarter than I lol. The dampening off I do believe could be an issue as well as the lights not getting close enough to the plants.

I did buy four more shop lights and another case of 6500K T12 bulbs today as well as two 72 cell flats that you just fill with the potting mix. I will give these a try instead of the pellets and see how it turns out. It has to be better than the crumbling and netting that I am dealing with now.

I will have pictures to follow later on today, but its also poker night tonight and I have salsa to make to and help my little Joselyn get her flowers up and going.

T.M.H.

The Mad Hatter

Well mama an I got our running around town done today and I got the salsa made up for poker night. Hopefully I win. More veggie stuff then hehehe.

I did pick up more lights today. And since I do drip a bit if water here and there I figured I would go ahead and tile that third shelf. Not really necessary I know, but it looks nice and keeps the wood dry.

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/IMG_20110115_161027.jpg[/img]

Once I had the tiles down Joselyn AKA Shorty helped me hang two more of the lights. We only have one more space left on our other shelf for one more flat and then we will have to g to the new shelf.

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/IMG_20110115_164407.jpg[/img]

The heat table is still chugging away. I took a peak at the Biker Billy Peppers tonight and I see a couple just starting to sprout. I would venture to say that sometime tonight or tomorrow I will have more peppers up.

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/IMG_20110115_165831.jpg[/img]

One thing I am thinking is that I should get me some cheap plywood or Chipboard or something of that nature and paint it the brightest white I can find and enclose the back and sides. I believe that the white paint should reflect the light more around the plants.

I also have thought about using tile instead of the paint. No real reason, others than white tile is real cheap. I have also thought about instead if bolting or screwing the wood to the shelve frame for the enclosure I would use the heavy industrial Velcro. This way when the spring growing season issue all done I can pop off the sides, pop the top off, knock out the shelves, and break it all down for easy and small storage until the next year. That don't sound like a half bad idea.

Well, we got creamy wild rice soup with wild Turkey that we shot off our farm last spring. I can smell it all the way in the basement, so I believe I am going to sample it a bit an make sure its safe for everyone else to eat.

Have a great night everyone!

T.M.H.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

That don't sound like a half bad idea.

cynthia_h, Ãœbersetzung bitte :roll:

Eric

The Mad Hatter

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
That don't sound like a half bad idea.

cynthia_h, Ãœbersetzung bitte :roll:

Eric
Sorry Eric, don't was verstehst du? Die gute Idee dachte ich wäre in der Lage zu brechen das gesamte System für einfache Lagerung.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

TMH,

It's more of a tease for Cynthia.
Die gute Idee dachte ich wäre in der Lage zu brechen das gesamte System für einfache Lagerung.
Ja, es ist gut

Yes, I think the disassemble and storage is a good idea. :D

Eric

The Mad Hatter

Hello everyone, and good evening. I believe that my pepper plants are trying to reach for the sky. I have not raised baby's before under good lighting so this may be what they do and I just don't know it.

The leaves are all pointing straight up. The cabbage is not doing this, just the peppers. Any thoughts? They were not like that this morning but they are now. The light is I would say about five inches above the plants. Perhaps to high?

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/IMG_20110116_184328.jpg[/img]

T.M.H.

The Mad Hatter

Just a small update before I head off to work. I would have to double check my notes, but I think this is day five for my Biker Billy Peppers. I think that's pretty decent time frame considering on how long it took me to germinate my serranos last year.

These little guys came up sometime over night. They should be good to go when I get home from work.

I have four different kinds of Bell Peppers and two tomatoes. I guess I need to decide on what I am going to follow these up with.

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/IMG_20110117_054738.jpg[/img]

Halfway
Green Thumb

Looks great MH. Pretty uniform germination.

Where did you get the seeds?

The Mad Hatter

All of my seeds this year came from Burpee. I ordered them off the web site and so far have been real satisfied. Tue order came when it should have, was not missing anything, and was complete. They also gave me a free pack of white cucumber seeds and a free pack of marigolds.

T.M.H.

TWC015

Your seedlings look nice.

How do you plan on keeping those peppers in containers for so long? I assume you won't be planting them outside until at least mid-April.

The Mad Hatter

They will hit the garden about the first part of April or so. We put milk jugs around em on the bottoms when they are out a little early other wise they should be ok in the pots until the mid April.

T.M.H.

The Mad Hatter

Well, I have great news. I got home tonight and to my suprise I had all but two Biker Billy pepper plants up. 32 of 34 seeds germinated. This makes me smile. Of the two that did not sprout one I found in the bottom of the flat. I am guessing that it stuck to my fingers and I did not realize it. The other just hasn't popped yet. Maybe he will tomorrow but I get the feeling probably not. At any rate, that's pretty good. These are all my Biker Billie's that were up when I got home.

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/IMG_20110117_054738.jpg[/img]

One thing that I did was when I first started to up pot the cabbage plants I cut off the netting on the peat pellets. I did this Becquerel I was afraid of the little roots nit getting throughout the netting fast enough. I cut them all off but one. These were up potted on the same day, using the same Nottingham mix, and they sit in the same flat, under the same lights. Don't know if the netting has anything to do with it, but it is enough to tell me to keep cutting it off.

With the netting left on. The first center leaf, or what I believe to be the first true leaf is just starting but barley.

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/IMG_20110117_192009.jpg[/img]

This is one with the netting removed. The center true leaf is very big. Almost all of the cabbage plants are of this size, with a couple of them bigger.

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/IMG_20110117_192019.jpg[/img]

Like I said before, I don't know if the netting is truley the reason or not and without further tests with the netting left on could you really praove that theory out. But it is enough for me to say yep, cut em off.

T.M.H.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”