The Mad Hatter

Best methods - Seedling Pots?

Hello everyone. this is my second year of gardening. I am wondering what everyone uses for starting their seeds in? I last year I used the peat pots with great success, as well as the little expanding pots as well.

What I am wanting to know is about the newspaper pots that you make yourself. Does anyone do this? I am thinking anbout trying this method this year. How does the newspaper hold up for tomatoes and peppers? I am wanting to get them started here very soon and was a bit worried about the ability of the news paper to hold together before they actually get hardened off and put into the garden.

I am also in the process of setting up a room in my basement for just starting and growing seeds. I some shelving that I used before when made beer but now I am in the process of redeploying that to ths project.

I plan on installing adjustable lighting on each shelf as well as some sort of heat supply to help with the germination. Any thoughts or advice on this would also be greatly appreciated.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and plan to add pictures as I go along.

soil
Greener Thumb

I'm personally not a fan of the newspaper method, I tried to give it a chance but it just doesnt work well imo.

I use these 72 cell trays, I buy them for 1.50 at the garden center. they take very little space and its easy to label things.

heres an example

[img]https://www.purplemountainorganics.com/Images/Propagation/Seed_Cell_Plug_Tray.jpg[/img]

The Mad Hatter

Thank you for the feedback. I do appreciate the information. That is one downfall of the newspaper pots that I thought about as well.

Once your seedlings are large enough do You then transfer them to the garden, of are you putting them into a peat pot then transferring them to the garden?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

The Mad Hatter wrote:Once your seedlings are large enough do You then transfer them to the garden, of are you putting them into a peat pot then transferring them to the garden?
Isn't it great to be thinking about starting seed for the 2011 garden. Last year I tried something for the first time and will do it again this year. My wife read about this method and suggested it to me.

1. I saved the core from paper towels, toilet paper, etc
2. I purchased Miracle Gro potting soil from Sam's
3. I cut the cardboard cores about an two inches long
4. Fill flat with potting soil
5. Press the cores into the soil and water thoroughly
6. Plant seed and put under grow light
7. When second set of leaves appear, transplant to 5 inch peat pot,
cardboard and all.

You can get about 50 in one flat
[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/Mater01.jpg[/img]

The Mad Hatter

Oh I like that roll idea. To bad I just tore em all up for the compost bin. I think I will give the flats and plastic pots a go. Sounds like no hassle there. I really like the drug store heating pad idea. Thanks, much appreciative!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”