Avonnow
Green Thumb

Agribon Row Covers

Anyone ever use these. I am in Florida, and we get cold days ( Really cold) every week or so, and I have been doing the sheet thing and Xmas Light thing, to keep temps down. I was thinking about getting these, they showed them on the news recently. Are they good, any thing I should think about if I get them, like do they only last one season, is one grade better then another. I went locally but they were sold out of course, so I am going to order online soon. We have a few good months of cold temps here but plenty of nice weather in between. Thanks! :wink:

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I use the Agribon row cover material, and I like it.

One thing to be aware of is that it does "breathe" somewhat. That can be handy to help prevent the covered area from over-heating on a sunny day; and also because you can water through the material.
But, be aware that it will not hold heat in as well as glass or plastic. So, you might need a second layer (or some other additional frost protection) during a really cold spell.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

So I could use it and then maybe still put sheets and stuff up around it. I just don't think the sheets by themselves will do it, last night it was 29 out there, I had Christmas lights everywhere - (It was very pretty) and then sheets and then I got up real early and did jugs of hot water. I am hoping the cover will do more cold protection, those sheets seem so thin, even when I do double them up. I never have to leave any of it up more then a couple of days, in Florida that is a cold spell then about a week or so of 7o degrees, just trying to get through those days with out losing anything. Thanks :wink:

TWC015

Agribon makes different grades of row cover. For frost protection, you want something thicker than the AG-15, which is to lightest row cover meant for insect protection. I have this one and it does not really help with frost protection with a single layer. The sheets work for me if the temperature is around 32F, but when it gets in the mid-to-low 20s, nothing really prevents frost for me.

It is currently 20F outside right now and I have lots of frozen plants. They are all frost tolerant though, so they will be fine when it warms up. The frost tolerant plants can tolerate the cold well if they are acclimated to it.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

What do you mean by frost tolerant plants, are they cold hardy like broccoli and beets, peas etc. Or are they seeds that tolerate the cold much better? THANKS! :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I think he means that they are varieties that can handle a little frost.

Another option is a low-tunnel. How you make one is take pvc pipes and bury the ends in the ground so that it makes hoops over your bed. Next, lay sheet-plastic over that and bury the sides underground. This will protect you from frost much better than just row covers.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Avonnow wrote:I never have to leave any of it up more then a couple of days, ...
In that case, the Agribon might not be a worthwhile investment, unless you also want to use it for some other purposes (like excluding insects in the Spring).
For just a few days, now and then, I would stick with the sheets that you already have.

If you can use some wire "wickets" or bent PVC pipes to hold the sheets above the plants, so you're not laying the sheets directly on the foliage, that will give you a little better frost protection.
You can also "double layer" on a really cold night, by putting a sheet directly on the plants, and then suspending another sheet on the supports above.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I did order some Agribon today, on exsisting plants I will use the sheets, but last year we had freezing temps into February here in FL and I plan on starting some of my new beds by then, so I will use that row cover for the small (new) stuff if needed. Maybe for insects later on. I started my garden last year in March - March 2nd to be exact and compared to other Florida gardeners I started alittle too late, we get pretty hot by May. I wanted to get things in the ground by February to avoid the rush of bugs that seem to come around April. I never did well with certain things and was very disappointed, I want to be prepared this year. :wink:

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Avonnow wrote:..., I want to be prepared this year. :wink:
There's certainly nothing wrong with that! :)

My main gardening season starts a bit later than yours, but my planning is already cranking up too.

Here's to great 2011 gardens for us all !!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”